INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Berkeley USB 192kHz not playing [Solved]  (Read 2563 times)

jd002200

• Recent member
Berkeley USB 192kHz not playing [Solved]
« on: April 09, 2016, 09:48:59 pm »

Greetings,

I have a Berkeley Audio USB converter to convert USB to SPDIF to send to my DAC. I'm using a laptop running Windows 7 as the source. For some reason that eludes me, 24/192 files will not play. It produces static and distortion. Any other file plays normally. This problem occurs with WASAPI and ASIO modes. DirectSound and kernel streaming will play, but the computer downsamples to 44.1kHz. If I connect the laptop to the DAC's USB input directly, then 24/192 files play normally. Is there some setting I'm missing or some software conflict? Or is the USB converter faulty? I appreciate any ideas.

Jim

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Berkeley USB 192kHz not playing
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 04:24:14 am »

not super long ago (2012-ish), SPDIF couldn't do higher than 96kHz.  Now, some SPDIF cables (often not the cheapest ones) can do those sample rates, but much of the machinery to do so (DAC's, converters, etc.) still can't

so...it could be the converter, it could be the actual settings on the PC/soundcard, it could be the DAC...

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 08:56:29 pm »

The Berkeley USB was designed for 192 KHz and should work fine. The problem ferdey is discussing sounds like Toslink issues, not S/PDIF. S/PDIF should work fine at 192 KHz.

Not sure what the problem is, but I would make sure you have the Berkeley usb driver installed. You need it to get above 96 KHz. You can also check to see if 192 KHz plays directly through the Windows setup test.

jd002200

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 04:27:26 pm »

After much troubleshooting including sending the DAC back to the manufacturer for possible repair, it appears that the problem was a defective balanced digital cable. Very strange, but a new cable seems to have fixed the issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up