INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Logitech Harmony smart control  (Read 5216 times)

styxx10

• Junior Woodchuck
Logitech Harmony smart control
« on: April 11, 2016, 01:37:14 am »

Hi ,
I have my HTPC in another room which is. connected to my Samsung TV by way a HDMI.
I use audio return  from the screen which allows me to play all my movies and to have the sound
output through the Yamaha amp. I was hoping someone could advise me of what I require to allow
the PC to communicate and be able to control JRiver when it's in Theater View using the Logitech Remote.
At present I am using JRemote to control my music via a tablet, and Gizmo also.
I also use Unified Remote app on my tablet which a great way to control also.
Just would prefer to have Theater View and use the arrows on the remote rather than the tablet.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Logitech Harmony smart control
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 02:07:13 am »

The wiki has a topic on Remotes.

styxx10

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 04:42:54 am »

i knew about the wiki,was more hoping people might suggest a
brand of connection,or alternative ways that they are using.
Thanks anyway.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 06:52:08 am »

I have a Logitech Harmony Smart Hub that controls my Sony TV, Yamaha Receiver, Oppo Blu-Ray, HTPC running JRiver (use Logitech profile for Windows Media Player), and Philps Hue lighting. It works perfectly. Of course if your HTPC is in another room, you will need to put an extra IR transmitter in the other room, or hook up a remote IR receiver to you PC..

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Hilton

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 08:06:29 am »

I have a similar setup to Andrew with the logitech harmony ultimate that came with the smart hub, plus touch remote and a second Logitech smart remote (no screen).
I have the smart remote downstairs to control volume and skip tracks when im pottering around the house. (because I have my music streaming around the house with synchronized multiroom audio using an Airplay server configured as a zone in MC - but thats a whole nother story! see my airplay instructions in my thread if you want to try this out your self http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=95760.0 )  

I can control theatre view from down stairs too so this setup would work for you but I don't use it that way. (just to avoid confusion you dont need to do any of the airplay stuff I metioned above, I just mention it so you know my use case and that the logitech remote works well from another room to control MC.)

I also have a windows MCE compatible IR receiver from a Hauppauge TV remote kit plugged into the main HTPC via USB and and IR blaster plugged into the Logitech Hub.  

So I can control MC on the HTPC from anywhere in the house with either of the Logitech remotes.

I havent thought about it in detail before, but I think this is how my remote configuration works;

Logitech Harmony Touch Remote  or Logitech Smart Remote < > Logitech Unity Wireless RF < > Logitech Smart Hub > IR Blaster > MCE IR Reciever > HTPC USB port > MC21 set for MCE remote

The Logitech smart hub uses a proprietary wireless RF transmitter and receiver in the hub and the remotes to work pretty much anywhere in the house.
The secret is having an MCE compatible IR receiver plugged into the PC and the RF capable Smart Hub with smart remote or touch remote.

If your Smart Hub has line of sight with PC MCE IR reciever you wont need the blaster plugged into the Smart Hub.

If your going to get an MCE IR receiver, make sure its a proper MCE one and not just a receiver that emulates HID USB keyboard commands as the proper MCE ones work better with MC21. (the keyboard emulation ones dont always seem to work reliably)

styxx10

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 07:28:57 pm »

Thanks for the detailed explanation Hilton,very informative,and
sure others will gain a better understanding of what's required
also.

Hilton

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 07:40:58 pm »

Thanks for the detailed explanation Hilton,very informative,and
sure others will gain a better understanding of what's required
also.

No Problem.
I use this Hauppauge remote kit.
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=&&bid=2&sid=36275

Here's another good resource for info about setting up Harmony with MC.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=102236.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up