INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Id Questions  (Read 3117 times)

PCH1155

• Recent member
Id Questions
« on: April 11, 2016, 10:27:03 am »

I'd like to paraphrase an earlier message (new to this), and perhaps put this in the correct topic folder:

I was looking at your Id box by Intel, but have some questions that you may be able to answer:
-   Can I get it with a higher-end/faster processor? Is that worthwhile? I think your box comes with Linux and the JRiver software loaded, correct? Is this a good way to avoid the stupid constant MS Windows updates? Will the GUI look the same in Linux? Can I get the Id with a higher capacity HDD (4TB) ?
-   What is the best way to RIP disks (using your wonderful RIP software)? Do I add an external DVD drive, or should I add a NAS and use a drive connected to that?
-   How do files get from a NAS over to the Id? Does the Id push digital music data to the Oppo DAC in the same way I currently do from the laptop? How do I backup? (just an external HDD connected to the Id, or some other way – connected to the NAS?)
-   Can I just connect the HDMI from the Id to a flat-screen TV to allow the HTC GUI to be utilized ? Or just on an android phone with Gizmo?
Sorry for all the questions, but I love the JRiver software, so I don’t want to switch to anything else.

PCH1155

• Recent member
Re: Id Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 02:36:35 pm »

Not sure I'm asking correctly, but would greatly appreciate any answers:

Thinking of buying a Intel NUC6I5SYH 6th Gen (Skylake) Core i5 System (BOXNUC6I5SYH), 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 , 120GB M.2 SSD, 2TB HDD. Would like to know your opinion of whether this is a good MC platform.
 - should I try to load standard version of MC21 to play with Windows or use your Linux based stick?
 - How would I RIP disks and get them into the HDD? (what is best way)
 - What is best way to backup? USB port on the NUC?

If I'm going down the wrong path, would be nice to know. Responses much appreciated.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 07:03:37 am »

Im' not sure how to answer you. You mention the Id -- so I'm taking you to mean a JRiver Id running linux.

But I didn't know they sold this with the processor you are talking about. Don't see it listed. So maybe when you mention the Linux stick, you are going to be buying a NUC and turning it in to an id.

Regardless, the key is what are you going to use it for?

Will it be a standalone, player. Or part of a network. Will it run only headless (like JRemote only no monitor, no TV)

Is this for Video playback or just audio. (I'm presuming audio with just 2tb drive, but I may be wrong.

With skylake the on board graphics are going to be very good and will support running HQ video, but not all the ULTRA high settings Madvr can put out. It would be good enough for me though ;)

Also if running Linux you will not have Theater Mode, this is only on Windows platforms at the moment. Not sure when this is going to be ported over to Linux and Mac. Is this important to you?

The questions about ripping and backing up sort of depend on the above.

Personally, I would put Windows on the NUC as no Theater View is a deal Breaker for me. You can then set ervything else up on a normal computer and if you want just restore the library inside of the NUC. I also I'm really a noob at Linux ... but that's just me  ;D I can't use an ID in my set-up, presently, but I could see maybe adding one as a renderer. I spend a lot of time with admin and retagging my collection so I need a network set-up ... this may not be at all important to you.

At least I bumped your post. Sorry can't just give a flat out thumbs up on your Nuc, seems nice ... RAM seems like overkill, but hey  ;D

BradATIMA

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 08:04:05 am »

I agree with Arindelle's advice. The reason we use Media Center 20 for Linux with the Ids is for stability. The intent with the Ids is to use them as media renderers that can run 24/7. If you're looking for a fully featured version of Media Center, you should be able to install Windows 10 and run Media Center 21 for Windows. I actually use a NUC D54250WYKH, which uses a 4th gen i5 processor, 8GB of RAM, and a 240GB SSD. I have no trouble running Windows 10 and Media Center 21 for Windows. The JRMark for this machine is usually about 2500. It's not the best system, but it's decent, and I would expect the JRMark for the NUC you mentioned to be higher.

As for ripping, I've used a USB DVD player and had no trouble ripping music and storing it on the NUC. Keep in mind, I haven't done this very often. And for backing up, the NUC should have plenty of USB 3.0 ports, so I would imagine a USB 3.0 external hard drive would work well for backing up.

DJLegba

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 08:45:11 am »

@Arindelle, when you run the NUC headless theatre mode isn't available even when using remote desktop. You get a graphics mode failure message.

For music only an i3 NUC is fine. I also use an i3 NUC for video playback and it works but an i5 would probably be safer.

I rip CDs and download purchases to an internal drive on my desktop machine, then copy to a USB drive on my desktop and finally over the network to a USB drive hanging off the NUC. That way I have a couple of backups and the NUC, which is on 24/7, builds the library from local files. You can rip to the NUC's USB drive over the network, but it's slow.

PCH1155

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 09:45:25 am »

;D - Wow - thanks so much for the response. This pretty much answers my questions. My intent is to use the NUC as a player where the main copy of all my music files is kept. I intended to occasionally manipulate tags and playlists, etc.  remotely with DLNA connected mini laptop in another room. Using a USB 3.0 on the NUC to do backups is perfect. Sounds like it could all work out - even the Theater View on HDMI output using MC21 with Windows. Thanks folks for all the great feedback. :D

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 10:43:32 am »

@Arindelle, when you run the NUC headless theatre mode isn't available even when using remote desktop. You get a graphics mode failure message.
I can  get theater mode on a server running headless using Teamviewer (a remote desktop equivalent) on a client ... but using a Windows install on the server again. So its not the NUC itself its the OS which is what I meant to say. If you are getting a GPU failure, and you have a windows version of JRiver installed running media server, something's not right.

DJLegba

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 11:18:57 am »

I can  get theater mode on a server running headless using Teamviewer (a remote desktop equivalent) on a client ... but using a Windows install on the server again. So its not the NUC itself its the OS which is what I meant to say. If you are getting a GPU failure, and you have a windows version of JRiver installed running media server, something's not right.

Windows 7, MC 21. "Error starting Direct3D engine (error getting adapter information)". Doesn't happen if there is a monitor connected. The NUC has HDMI output only. I just assumed the Intel HD chip needs a monitor attached, but to be honest I didn't bother trying to make it work as I don't need or want theatre view unless there's a nice big monitor connected, and I only ever ran into the problem by accident.

Arindelle

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 04:04:04 am »

Windows 7, MC 21. "Error starting Direct3D engine (error getting adapter information)". Doesn't happen if there is a monitor connected. The NUC has HDMI output only. I just assumed the Intel HD chip needs a monitor attached, but to be honest I didn't bother trying to make it work as I don't need or want theatre view unless there's a nice big monitor connected, and I only ever ran into the problem by accident.
:D of course! Your right, who'd want to use it that way  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up