INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two smallish suggestions for the A.W.  (Read 1143 times)

Stilton

• Junior Woodchuck
Two smallish suggestions for the A.W.
« on: August 17, 2003, 08:00:54 am »

The more and more I play with the action window, the more I find use with it. With a few extra tweaks to it that have been mentioned elsewhere (back-forward buttons,  and a way to jump straight to a section without having to go back to the 'homepage' bit, and a 'lock' so it doesn't auto-resize and you can resize it by hand being the most important imo) the AW will become a really useful addition.

I think this would be great to expand it to encorporate some of the functions that are hidden away in context menus.

The first is the Library Tools - there's some really useful tools in there - lookups to YADb, clean file properties, find & replace, move fields etc, but every time it's right click > library tools > select, which is a bit of a chore. So I suggest a Library Tools section in the AW, which basically has links to this functionality. When you're doing library stuff, you can keep the AW with these tools up, and they're just one click away.

The other is for the columns. At the moment it is not at all obvious how you set up the panes, and even then it's a laborious task adding panes. And there's no ability to move the pane's positions either. Perhaps a 'View' or something in the AW could open up the functionality and allow you to easily select columns, drag them in to the right order etc.

As I say, the more and more I play with the recent interface changes (panes and AW), the more accustomed I get. I think it's definately moving in the right direction here. Nice works guys!

jleerigby

Re: Two smallish suggestions for the A.W.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2003, 10:56:26 am »

I totally agree.  I'm really comfortable with 9.1 now.  The action window is great - we just need a quick way to navigate it and it needs to stop auto-navigating.  Then I'll love it.

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2003, 11:16:04 am »

I like it too and I hate to repeat myself but...

File properties should be broken out. Maybe it could stay in the AW area, but once undocked it would become an entity on it's own. Maybe the "Always on top" option could be fixed, too (should float over MC only...not every other app).

Rx

jleerigby

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2003, 11:25:22 am »

I hate to repeat myself too but I really think that SlikVik's suggestion should be implemented to finish 9.1 off.

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1060942320

Then, a few bug fixes later we would have a great piece of software to fall back on while the experiments begin with a tabbed / treeless interface.  It seems that 9.1 is nearly there now and it would be such a shame if they choose to go trying to implement big GUI changes now.  I want to see the innovation and new ideas but you have to have stop gaps here and there and I think that now is the time to finish off 9.1.
Pages: [1]   Go Up