INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem connecting JRemote with JRiver  (Read 5377 times)

meanlean

• Recent member
Problem connecting JRemote with JRiver
« on: April 14, 2016, 02:26:40 pm »

My system has been working fine for a long time, but since a couple of weeks, i suspect after upgrading my mac mini, i can't connect JRemote with JRiver anymore. I connect from an iPad air2 (iOS 9.3.1) with JRemote 3.22. I connect with an access key, the correct IP-address is found, but the connection times out. The strange thing is that connecting with VNC Viewer from my iPad also doesn't work anymore. It seems that both stopped working suddenly. Connecting VNC Viewer from my Windows 10 notebook still works fine.

The target is a mac mini (2011, Intel Core i5) with OS X El Capitan (version 10.11.4) running JRiver 20.0.14.

Can anybody help with this mystery?
Mac mini | Logitech Media Server | Chord Hugo | Primaluna Dialogue Premium | Goldenear Triton 3

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problem connecting JRemote with JRiver
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 03:10:57 pm »

My system has been working fine for a long time, but since a couple of weeks, i suspect after upgrading my mac mini, i can't connect JRemote with JRiver anymore. I connect from an iPad air2 (iOS 9.3.1) with JRemote 3.22. I connect with an access key, the correct IP-address is found, but the connection times out. The strange thing is that connecting with VNC Viewer from my iPad also doesn't work anymore. It seems that both stopped working suddenly. Connecting VNC Viewer from my Windows 10 notebook still works fine.

The target is a mac mini (2011, Intel Core i5) with OS X El Capitan (version 10.11.4) running JRiver 20.0.14.

Can anybody help with this mystery?
The IP address probably changed on the mini.
Try Options->Media Network->Access Key->Test connection to this server

meanlean

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 08:42:16 am »

IP address was and is fixed. When i choose 'Test connection to this server' i get the attached message. I only connect from within my network.
Mac mini | Logitech Media Server | Chord Hugo | Primaluna Dialogue Premium | Goldenear Triton 3

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 08:58:40 am »

I suspect something has changed with networking:  Either on your Mac, or your network itself.  I would first check to see if the Mac's firewall has been turned on:

System Preferences > Privacy and Security > Firewall

If it's on, turn it off.  Then restart MC and try JRemote again.

Next I'd start troubleshooting the network, starting with see what IP address the Ipad has, and comparing that address to the mini's address, to see if they are on the same network or not.

Let us know what you find.

Brian.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 12:11:43 pm »

It could be your internet provider.
If I traceroute to your outside address it dies at
213.197.18.189 ict.18.189.concepts.nl

Matt found out that his provider recently started blocking incoming connect attempts and he had to get that turned off by the ISP.

Either that or perhaps your public address isn't being updated?

You could write me a PM and tell me what https://jriver.jriver.com/cgi-bin/youraddr.cgi shows...

meanlean

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 02:34:08 am »

@blgentry: firewall was already turned off.

Regarding the network:
* the Mac is connected via wifi, fixed ip 192.168.1.133
* iPad ip 192.168.1.148 (variable)
* Router ip 192.168.1.1

So everything seems ok with the network imo.

meanlean

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 02:53:00 am »

@bob: i sent you the PM, but what has my outside IP to do with this problem? It all stays within the network, doesn't it?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 02:57:37 am »

He explained that above.  His traceroute ends at 213.197.18.189.  Is that your outside address?

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 08:35:04 am »

I agree with the OP: His external addresses, routes from his internet provider, etc have nothing to do with this problem.  He is trying to connect using internal addresses only.

Meanlean:  I've only recently had this happen to me once:  My remote (EOS Remote, which is similar to JRemote) wouldn't connect.  Restarting MC made no difference.  Restarting EOS made no difference.  I finally figured it out:  Something was wonky with the networking on my Mac.  I turned off Wifi, turned it back on, restarted MC, and *boom* it worked first time.

So that's my suggestion:  Turn wifi off, then on.  Restart MC and try again.  If that still fails, I would reboot everything:  Mac, Router, Ipad.  Then try again.

Good luck!

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 08:55:37 am »

When I have a problem like that, if I can't solve it in a few minutes, I power the whole network and all devices on it off and back on.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 10:24:51 am »

I would try power-cycling the network devices as Jim said.
I thought the issue was connection from outside but re-reading the first post I see that's not necessarily the case.
You could try checking the IP address on the Mac Mini (in System Preferences->Networking) and see if it still is 192.168.1.133. That is what the access key contains.
You could also try just entering that IP and port 52199 into JRemote instead of the key.
Another test would be to use a browser on the ipad and go
http://192.168.1.133:52199 and see if you get the webremote page. If you don't get the webremote page, something is wrong on the Mini. The port is getting blocked or has a conflict.

Pages: [1]   Go Up