INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Record more than one channel using a single tuner  (Read 4725 times)

Fangio

• World Citizen
Record more than one channel using a single tuner
« on: April 17, 2016, 09:38:45 am »

As UK DVB-T2 channels are grouped into multiplexes, it is possible to simultaneously record more than one channel using only one tuner, as long as the channels in question share a common multiplex. I have PVR software which will do this, but MC will not.

Could this restriction be removed from MC? Apart from the obvious advantage, it would greatly reduce the number of recording conflicts, and/or enable the use of greater padding.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Record more than one channel using a single tuner
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 04:56:29 pm »

Almost all broadcasters multiplex multiple channels into one Transport Stream. My old Topfield PVR used to be able to record two channels from one stream on one tuner as well.

Unfortunately, as you have found, MC can't record multiple channels from the one stream on one tuner at this time. I believe that in fact MC used to record the whole stream, and hence all channels, but that was changed to reduce the recording size. Something like that. MC records the raw data from the stream, but drops data it doesn't require for the recording. I suspect it isn't a matter of just dropping a restriction in MC, but a significant bit of programing would be required to pull a second channel out of the stream, while not increasing the size of the individual recordings. There also other things that should be considered at the same time, such as Closed Captions, multiple audio streams (stereo and 5.1) on some channels, and so on. So, probably not a simple project, especially while trying to maintain support for a range of third party tuners. At least my old Topfield only had to deal with the one set of hardware!

I believe it is on Yaobing's list of things to do at some stage. Maybe. For now, I just have a quad tuner to get around the problem.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Fangio

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 12:26:41 pm »

I'm still using my Topfield! It runs modified firmware and the amazing MyStuff app from http://www.toppy.org.uk/ . This has transformed it from an absolute dog of a machine to the most advanced and reliable PVR solution in the house. It's not HD of course, so I use a Humax Foxsat for HD recordings, but it's a distinctly second rate experience compared with the Toppy. Anyone looking to design a good PVR solution could do worse than take a look at the MyStuff manual http://www.toppy.org.uk/~chunkywizard/

I am relatively new to the PVR side of MC. It looks like a promising start, but I don't think it justifies a new quad tuner just yet!

BillT

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 01:36:55 pm »

As the Nebula DigiTV software could do this 10 years ago, I doubt that it can be that difficult.

My solution is to revert to NPVR for recording which does cope with recording individual streams within the multiplex. JRiver watches the NPVR recording folders, so recordings show up in JRiver and can be played by it.

In many ways it is a lot better than JRiver, for a start it has the option of a web interface, so recordings can be scheduled from any computer which can access the NPVR PC. The programme guide seems more reliable too!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 05:58:01 pm »

I am relatively new to the PVR side of MC. It looks like a promising start, but I don't think it justifies a new quad tuner just yet!

I always ran standard firmware on my TF6000PVRt because it was a little different to other models, so third party firmware wasn't as good. I ran TEDS Suite on a separate PC to select programs to record using rules, and then sent the recording schedule to the Topfield. It worked, but it was an extra piece in the puzzle, and required maintenance. However one of the reasons for switching to MC was that I wanted to record HD channels, and I didn't want to buy yet another limited hardware PVR, particularly as in the Australian market no-one seemed to be able to supply a stable, reliable HD PVR. I built my HTPC for JRiver MC, and I was lucky to be able to buy a PCIe Quad tuner here in Australia for a very reasonable price. Unfortunately those aren't available any more, so I hope mine lasts forever!

I really like the all in one solution that is JRiver MC. The recording rules in MC are now better than TEDS Suite ever had. Far more flexible and accurate. I think MC now does better TV, including PVR functionality, than the Topfield plus TEDS Suite ever did... Well, except for reporting issues like missed recordings, failed EPG data collections and loads, etc.

I looked at NextPVR Bill, but just didn't like it really. It was still a big compromise, and only part of the solution, which you have discovered. As far as I am aware, it sources EPG either from OTA, or using XMLTV sources, such as Grabbers. MC can do all of that as well, with Rovi, PercData, XMLTV, and ATSC OTA EPG collection (USA only). I use EPG Collector to collect and enhance OTA EPG data in Australian, then import the resulting XMLTV file. Works very well. Microsoft's Rovi data has been unreliable recently, which is an issue. Microsoft just don't want to be in the free EPG business any more, except perhaps for the Xbox, so they aren't interested in ensuring Rovi data is reliable.

JRiver has Web Gizmo for remote access, and JRemote. Not a full web interface, but you can schedule recording from any PC that can access the server. Plus of course if a PC has MC installed on it, or you carry around a portable installation of MC on a memory stick/card, you can access that full interface from anywhere. Perhaps none of those are as convenient as a separate, full web interface, but functional.

The trouble with MC is that it does so much, but isn't documented very well, that people never find what it can do.

Anyway, I'm sure recording multiple channels from one broadcast stream will come along eventually.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Fangio

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 12:53:49 pm »

My modified Topfield just works, day in, day out and is full of useful touches, such as starting playback from the start of the programme, not just the start of the recording.

I really like the all in one solution that is JRiver MC.
Me too, although I have to use Kodi to watch BBC iPlayer, and I will have to stick with an external PVR program to get around the two recording limit.

The trouble with MC is that it does so much, but isn't documented very well, that people never find what it can do.
Totally agree.

Anyway, I'm sure recording multiple channels from one broadcast stream will come along eventually.
Here's hoping. Somebody won't want it though, so it will need to be an option ;D

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 05:09:13 pm »

My modified Topfield just works, day in, day out and is full of useful touches, such as starting playback from the start of the programme, not just the start of the recording.

MC does that too. It is an Option.  ;D

Options>Television>Recording>Bookmark recordings at program start time instead of recording start time

Of course you would have to create the recording in MC, then it would be correctly Bookmarked, and then when you first play it, it will start playback at the scheduled program start time, not the start of the recording.

This is one of the things MC does better than my old Topfield, which didn't do this with the standard firmware. It also didn't handle padding with back to back programs well, which MC does perfectly, honouring padding on both programs and creating two program records in the database. Well, as long as enough tuners are available.  ;) My Topfield just combined the programs, and I had to know where to look for the second program. I think I looked at MyStuff, but there was an issue with running it on the TF6000PVRt.

Personally, I think MC Television is good enough to justify a new quad tuner. But if you go that path, read up on which are best, work best, and are reliable. I like the idea of network tuners, but it seems they give the most trouble. I have found using a PCIe Quad tuner with good a BDA driver no trouble at all. I don't record all that much really, and I have never seen a tuner conflict. It was worth the money just to see the last of that issue!

All the rest is all good. There have been some discussions in the forum about launching iPlayer via MC, and using the WDM Driver to capture audio, but I don't know how far that got.

Fangio

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 08:40:01 am »

MC does that too. It is an Option.  ;D
I did find that one, but it doesn't help if a program starts early or late. The Topfield will insert a bookmark when the program actually starts, irrespective of the scheduled start time. I've had programs record successfully that have been delayed by well over an hour by the previous program overrunning. It's a brilliant feature.

Thanks for the advice on tuners; I will do a bit of research.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 07:48:50 pm »

Ah yes. I had seem some enhancements in custom Topfield firmware that used the "Now & Next" data to correctly identify the actual start time, and hence bookmark the program start correctly. There was talk of using CRID data in the stream to do the same thing, but I think the enhancement I read about used "Now & Next" data. Freeview in Australia is supposed to use CRID data to do the same thing on Freeview PVRs.

That would be a very nice feature to have in MC. I haven't dared, or bothered, asking for it yet though, as MC doesn't read any OTA EPG data for my part of the world. Only ASTC in the USA. I know it is on the list of things to do, to add gathering OTA EPG data. When that gets started I might just ask for this as well.

One other thing; the Topfields supported multiple bookmarks in a recording, and they were persistent. There is only one bookmark in MC, and it is dynamic. So initially it will be at the scheduled start time of the program, but if you watch half the program and then stop, it will be set at the time you stopped. Also, it is possible to clear the bookmark either by clearing the bookmark tag manually, or by pressing Stop twice when playing the file. If the bookmark is cleared playback will start at the beginning of the recording next time it is played.

So, there are still a few improvement JRiver could make in this area.
Pages: [1]   Go Up