INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Watch" a folder?  (Read 1845 times)

jbellny

• nothing more to say...
"Watch" a folder?
« on: August 16, 2003, 02:09:50 pm »

Just getting into this program - very impressive!

However, I'm wondering if it is possible to monitor/update a particular music library once it has been setup. Meaning, as I add/remove files from my music folder, I want Media Center to automatically recognize these changes.

I've spent some time looking through the options but as of yet haven't turned up anything.

Suggestions?

Sorry for the newbie question :)

John

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: "Watch" a folder?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2003, 02:18:17 pm »

Watch Folders is not currently a feature of MC. It has been requested and discussed quite a bit. Maybe it will be in an upcoming version.

Rob

jleerigby

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2003, 02:26:43 pm »

The problem with this is that if you have a large library and a large 'watch area' you will cause MC to be very slow each time you start up.  

sraymond

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2003, 03:20:37 pm »

You can always do an "update library" to rid yourself of files that have been moved.

I would sure love to see a feature added to MC that just does a regular (i.e. timed interval:  daily or weekly) import (letting you choose more than one folder to search) and update.

Scott-

JaWe

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2003, 03:24:31 pm »

However, I'm wondering if it is possible to monitor/update a particular music library once it has been setup. Meaning, as I add/remove files from my music folder, I want Media Center to automatically recognize these changes.

Use "My Computer" inside MC if you need to move, delete or rename your files. Then it updates your library automatically.

phelt

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2003, 03:38:35 pm »

I like sraymond's idea of a scheduled import.

Manual update methods have a few problems (mainly related to the fact that I already have plenty to do). One is the assumption that all files in the library are generated, modified, or imported through MC, as per the suggestion to use MC's My Computer. That's not the case for me. I make and edit files with Photoshop, Fireworks, Acid, Sound Forge, Premiere, etc. It would be a PITA to constantly import/update those directories on top of my CD rips, so I don't bother using MC for those files.

Anecdotally, I was surprised when I made a Hard Disk Location view scheme and it didn't update itself on restarts of MC.

nila

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2003, 04:02:50 pm »

The problem with this is that if you have a large library and a large 'watch area' you will cause MC to be very slow each time you start up.  

JLee - this is presuming the watch is done when MC is first started.

If instead it was implemented in a screen saver type manner it wouldn't cause ANY problems (after computer has been idle for X minutes start checking all folders)

It might not find them straight away but it would find them on the first break your computer had :)

lOth

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2003, 04:33:46 pm »

I would sure love to see a feature added to MC that just does a regular (i.e. timed interval:  daily or weekly) import (letting you choose more than one folder to search) and update.

I like the idea too. Could it be implemented in the 'media scheduler' --> no need to start MC.

jbellny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2003, 07:18:17 pm »

Yikes - a mini fire storm!

Well, all these ideas sound great; especially like the "screen saver" method of updating a library folder. Taking advantage of idle time makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the feedback and info.
Pages: [1]   Go Up