INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turning on external devices When PC is woken up  (Read 2594 times)

jachin99

• Citizen of the Universe
Turning on external devices When PC is woken up
« on: April 18, 2016, 01:58:54 pm »

So I am trying to consolidate all of my controls down to one remote without any need for a keyboard.  My MCE remote has a power on button for an external display, and a power button for the PC that can wake it up.  I would like to use that one power button power wake the PC, and turn on my TV and stereo all at once.  I know JRiver has macros for IR devices but I can't figure out how to command the program to run my "Turn on TV and Stereo" macro each time the computer is woken.  I also need this button to put the machine back to sleep, and turn everything off.  Has anyone done this before?  I also have Event Ghost, and AutoHotKey on the same machine but I'm not really sure how to route IR blasts through Event Ghost, or find the right plugin for it. 

nikkieneuken

• Recent member
Re: Turning on external devices When PC is woken up
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 09:22:06 pm »

Use a logitech remote?
For my dedicated audio set chain I'm using a master slave power strip. The intel nuc is master here. So when waking up from sleep the whole chain follows!

jachin99

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 06:05:25 pm »

Logitech remotes are expensive, and I like the remote I have.  I would still like jriver to have PC event-driven remote control commands execution capabilities.  This would mean that a machine with jriver could control external devices regardless of what remote is being used. 

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 06:49:32 pm »

Use the right tool for the right job.

A learning remote with macros is designed for exactly this function.  If you don't want a hardware remote, software plus IR spitters is another way to go.  MC already has a confusing array of onesy twosey functionality.  Adding in a half done remote control capability isn't a good idea.

Perhaps a remote control product done by JRiver that talks to MC and to external components would be interesting.  The One Remote home automation stuff that's being worked on could be purposed to go that direction.  Plus Jim wants some kind of startup and shutdown control over his own copy of MC.  So this might be one way to JRiver to go with the development of that family of products.

Harmony remotes aren't the only game in town.  In fact they really aren't very good because they try to make it too easy, which makes the product mediocre.  If you want real control, there are numerous learning remotes, like the family of remotes from URC including the Home Theater Master series.  Just as one example.

Brian.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 09:34:58 am »

Perhaps a remote control product done by JRiver that talks to MC and to external components would be interesting. 

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Remotes#Media_Center_Remote

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 09:44:33 am »

^ I meant a software product with the ability to control multiple devices with IR spitters, TCP/IP commands, serial control, etc.  Like several existing products.

The linked product is just a "generic" WMC remote with an IR receiver.  Useful for sure.  But not what I was trying to suggest.

Brian.

Guybrush

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 09:45:24 am »

I attempted to do this same thing with Windows event handler, but there were too many exceptions so it never worked properly. I caved and got a logitech remote. PC has a z-stick that controls power to my amp and sub, and those are built into the activities on the remote. I also have an "audio on" and "audio off" button that I built into quick links.

Logitech remote works fine for turning things on and off, but stuff that was working keeps breaking on it. I can't even navigate with the arrow buttons anymore. It's weird, an arrow button will be assigned to "direction right" for example, which will do nothing. Then I'll populate the touch screen with the "direction right" command, and that will work. Plus there are so few keyboard commands it can send, it's maddening. So I understand not wanting to go with Logitech.

jachin99

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 08:20:44 pm »

Use the right tool for the right job.

A learning remote with macros is designed for exactly this function.  If you don't want a hardware remote, software plus IR spitters is another way to go.  MC already has a confusing array of onesy twosey functionality.  Adding in a half done remote control capability isn't a good idea.

I can turn everything on with one button press from another room.  I guess the functionality im looking for cant be found in a remote control.  I already have an external ir control device that is hooked to my pc, and then plugs into my pc and stereo so assigning a bittpn press to emit blasts isnt a problem.  Im just running out of buttons on my remote

Perhaps a remote control product done by JRiver that talks to MC and to external components would be interesting.  The One Remote home automation stuff that's being worked on could be purposed to go that direction.  Plus Jim wants some kind of startup and shutdown control over his own copy of MC.  So this might be one way to JRiver to go with the development of that family of products.

Harmony remotes aren't the only game in town.  In fact they really aren't very good because they try to make it too easy, which makes the product mediocre.  If you want real control, there are numerous learning remotes, like the family of remotes from URC including the Home Theater Master series.  Just as one example.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up