INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Analyzing the audio of a video file while playing is not good.  (Read 1891 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day

I often watch recent videos on my laptop, which connects via wifi.  I come home from work to discover MC has not imported any of my new/recent videos, so I set auto import to work to import any new files.  If I then decide I want to watch one of these recent videos, it may or may not play okay at first, but if not, at some point, it becomes totally unwatchable.  I've determined this is because MC is trying to analyze the audio of the video file while I'm playing it, which, surprise, doesn't work well, and the video is unplayable until the analysis stops.

Can MC please be a bit smarter about this, and NEVER analyze audio of a video file with this same file is being played back?

thanks

Oh, and somewhat related, the reporter service never seems to actually show when audio is being analyzed, it just says "no tools currently running", when it is, in fact, analyzing audio in the background.  In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen it report any background tasks in Reporter, so I'm not sure if it ever actually reports anything.  It would be better if it did.
pretend this is something funny

Arindelle

Re: Analyzing the audio of a video file while playing is not good.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 05:05:42 am »

This is not what you are asking for Justin but the slowest import task is analysis, especially for video. Provided that all thumbnails have been built. So I guess this is more of a work around, but why have this option running in import at all? A simple admin view showing stuff imported that hasn't been analyzed is easy to put in one's workflow - then just ctrl+A and run the tool.  Arguably if you record something then come home to watch it, most people don't need to have the video analyzed anyway. Just turn the volume down a touch if you are binging episodes.

Off topic but I think that manually running auto import often is a good thing and its very fast depending on the number of drives you have (provided analysis is off and most of the thumbnails have already been built again). It can fix any broken links, adjust for external changes, add in modified artwork, and doesn't depend on system events if you are on a NAS that may or not "perceive" a need to import new stuff.  Lots of people seem to not want to do this or just browse to a folder when they want to do this manually. And JRiver is so, so much faster at importing than any other player I've tried.  Sometimes too much "automatic" makes things more of a pain IMO, just saying of course  8)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 07:21:49 am »

I would have expected audio analysis to run fine even if the video is playing.

Could you make a sample of one of the videos available to matt at jriver dot com?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 07:26:59 am »

If your system is seriously underspec that any minimal background processing can hiccup your playback, then this is imaginable to be a problem, but maybe you should generally disable auto-import or at least auto-analysis in that case.
When you use a Client-Server setup the topic gets rather complicated as well, because the server might be analyzing the file while the client is trying to play it, which could result in issues on very slow disks due to IO. But the server doesn't know what the client is doing, so it has no way to know this...
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
Re:
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 12:24:15 pm »

Thanks for all the replies. The laptop isn't great, but isn't terrible either.  It only happens when on wifi, so I suspect slow read/transfer speed more than crappy computer. I'm not home to send the stats, not a log, but here is a link to the file that gave me trouble yesterday...

https://kat.cr/formula-1-2016x03-china-race-skyf1hd-1080p50-t12449331.html

It was the pre-race video specifically.  After pausing the video for a few minutes, then started again it played fine.

I do play from my unRAID server, but it normally plays fine, so I suspect other issues.

Finally, I'm using a local library on the laptop, which points to common paths which the HTPC also points to, so the server analyzing while the laptop plays might what's actually happening, not that Hendrik mentioned it; that hadn't occurred to me when I posted.  I suspect MC can't know when a file is being played, so this may just be something that can't be easily fixed.  However, if you need anything more from me, just let me know.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

pretend this is something funny
Pages: [1]   Go Up