INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC21 sees DTS CD general 2ch music CD  (Read 3180 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
MC21 sees DTS CD general 2ch music CD
« on: April 19, 2016, 08:40:28 am »

I'm trying to troubleshoot why MC21.0.72 doesn't play a commercial DTS CD properly.  If I look at the info MC comes up with when I put the disk in my BD drive it implies for each track ... 1440 bitrate ... CDA filetype ... 2 channels ... format 1440kbps, unknown compression ... If I try to play a track I hear a short beep and then noise.

Is there an MC option I need to enable (its file type is enabled) ... or, do I need to look at the hardware drive? Let me know if I can provide any additional info ...

TIA  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

shAf

Re: MC21 sees DTS CD general 2ch music CD
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 12:57:41 pm »

No response here, even to know why MC is somehow incompatible with commercially available 6ch DTS disks...so I had to do it manually and could find no way other than a 3-step process:

1) Use EAC (Exact Audio Copy) to extract from DTS disk to WAV files ...

2) The WAV files need to be "fixed". Download, install and run DTSParser.exe. Add the DTS files, click in 'Rebuild Stream', then 'Start Batch' ...

3) Now, with a standard DTS, you can use many decoders to obtain your desired FLACs. I can recommend eac3to (or the GUI UsEac3to) to decode the DTS to FLAC files. I used the GUI version, but each file still needed to be done one at a time.

I hope someone else know a better way ...

HTH  :)

RD James

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 01:18:29 pm »

What happens if you rip to WAV and rename the files to .dts?
I don't believe JRiver supports anything other than PCM audio inside FLAC containers.

shAf

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 03:08:58 pm »

What happens if you rip to WAV and rename the files to .dts?
I don't believe JRiver supports anything other than PCM audio inside FLAC containers.
The DTS FLACs did play perfectly, and the metadata as determined by MC did show 6 channels. Someone else other than me knows better as to why, but the last 2 steps did do something other than to rename the files.

RD James

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 03:56:23 pm »

It sounds like your third step is converting from a DTS bitstream to 6ch PCM, not putting a DTS bitstream in a FLAC container.
That's why I was asking if ripping to WAV and renaming to .dts worked, because that might avoid the conversion.

shAf

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 07:05:58 am »

It sounds like your third step is converting from a DTS bitstream to 6ch PCM, not putting a DTS bitstream in a FLAC container.
That's why I was asking if ripping to WAV and renaming to .dts worked, because that might avoid the conversion.
You were correct. Simply having EAC rip the DTS disk tracks to WAVs and then renaming them to 'DTS' allowed them to bitstream properly. Unfortunately, this did not work if I had MC rip the tracks to WAVs...all I heard was noise. Therefore, these commercially available DTS disks remain incompatible with MC21 when it would seem there is an easy remedy(?)

RD James

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 11:30:55 am »

Did you also rename the JRiver-ripped WAV files to .dts?
WAV files are supposed to contain LPCM audio, not DTS audio.
JRiver does not try to detect DTS bitstreams inside WAV files, they need to be named .dts to tell it that.

Some AV Receivers will detect the DTS bitstream in WAV files and automatically decode them instead of playing noise, but then the decoding is happening outside the PC, not inside the media player.

shAf

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 11:37:33 am »

Did you also rename the JRiver-ripped WAV files to .dts?
WAV files are supposed to contain LPCM audio, not DTS audio.
JRiver does not try to detect DTS bitstreams inside WAV files, they need to be named .dts to tell it that.

Yes...I did rename the extention to 'dts' ...

Some AV Receivers will detect the DTS bitstream in WAV files and automatically decode them instead of playing noise, but then the decoding is happening outside the PC, not inside the media player.

My MC audio output preference is to bitstream via HDMI, and yes my AVR should be able to decode DTS...but noise was the result just the same
Pages: [1]   Go Up