INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Properties Pane  (Read 1706 times)

nila

Properties Pane
« on: August 16, 2003, 05:22:39 am »

Just a thought about the properties pane.

Was wondering what everyone else though.

Someone posted a comment the other day about making the properties pane like columns - right click - chose which fields you want visible.
To me it just instantly struck a chord as being the perfect solution - it's a natural thing to do for a lot of us already from columns that it seems to make perfect sense for properties - you could just add any fields you want instantly and quickly.

Right now 'Groups' aren't used anywhere in MC except for in properties - I dont find them much use here and I've seen a few other posts saying similar things. For those that do - sorry :)

How about just dropping them - introduce this method for chosing which properties are visible and then just introducing a way of saving groups of fields visible in the properties panel.

Right clicking on properties pane could just have something like this:

Same as Columns in Current View
Visible fields >
. - List of all the fields lilke we have for columns
Load Saved Fields Grouping >
. - List of all previous saved 'groupings'
Save Fields Grouping >
. -  Save
. -  Save As
Manage Field Groupings (Would allow groupings to be deleted or renamed)

This would:
  • Allow fields to appear in multiple groups
  • Allow users to define and configure the groups for themselves
  • Be pretty straightforward and easy for everyone (new users and power users)

Comments? Thoughts? Suggestions? Improvements?

sraymond

Re: Properties Pane
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2003, 10:28:44 am »

Nila,

I've been trying (with little success!) to understand why there's so much disagreement (among users and even between JRiver) on how "properties" should act.

In all the applications I can think of, the "properties" feature is a pop-up window that gives you detailed information on the specific item selected.  This function should be present in MC as well - though, obviosly we can argue about the form that function takes on.

Are you suggesting that we don't really need a properties function - that, instead, it's nothing more than customizing which fields to present in a different pane?

I still advocate a return to the classical properties approach (pop-up window, or area, or dockable pane) that is separate from other functionality.

And I won't change my opinion until I can do things like:   When I import, the action window shows me Recently Imported.  I want to right-click on a file and get to "Properties" so that I can quickly tag at least the first level hierarchy I use to manage my library (so that I can then use the panes to do the rest).

Of course, this is easy with the classical properties approach.  But it doesn't work in MC (for now).

Scott-

nila

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2003, 11:13:38 am »

sraymond - NOPE - U've got me all wrong :)
I FULLY agree with everything you say.

To me the action window is great - it'd be a great tool but I also need a 'properties window' - mixing the two means that every time I want to tag something I end up losing the action that I'm doing - as such to me I've just made it a 'properties window' and wont use it as an action window (in it's present form).

ALL I'm talking about is when you set the action window to be 'properties' right now - just how that one screen would behave - whether it is still there mixed in with the actions, or whether it was a seperate window.

Does that clear it up at all?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2003, 12:26:03 pm »

Scott,
PLEASE give us until the end of the week to get the properties page pinned down.  We know it isn't right.

Thanks,

Jim

ZRocker

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2003, 12:40:14 pm »

Someone posted a comment the other day about making the properties pane like columns - right click - chose which fields you want visible.

That someone was me...suggested it at least 2 times in the last 3 weeks.

phelt

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2003, 12:48:34 pm »

ZRocker: I must have missed that suggestion - it's quite good. So many fields... customization is good  :)

sraymond

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2003, 02:15:25 pm »

Scott,
PLEASE give us until the end of the week to get the properties page pinned down.  We know it isn't right.

Thanks,

Jim

Fair enough!

sraymond

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2003, 02:16:42 pm »

To me the action window is great - it'd be a great tool but I also need a 'properties window' - mixing the two means that every time I want to tag something I end up losing the action that I'm doing - as such to me I've just made it a 'properties window' and wont use it as an action window (in it's present form).

Right...  I feel the same way.  And I've got my fingers crossed that a week or so will make this a moot thread!

Scott-
Pages: [1]   Go Up