INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Master License registration not working  (Read 3535 times)

justin42

• Recent member
Master License registration not working
« on: April 19, 2016, 09:01:48 am »

I upgraded to a Master License for Media Center 21. When I enter the install key, I get the "License for Media Center Was Successfully Installed" pop up, twice in a row. But it does not actually register MC21, and I am still in trial mode. Worse still, each time I copy/paste the license in I get an email telling me I've used one of my 12 restores; I have not needed to use a single restore, but now I only have 8 left.

Can someone help me 1. get my MC21 Master License to actually register MC21; and 2. get back my 12 restores that seem to be being used up without my requesting them. Thank you!

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Master License registration not working
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 09:27:27 am »

I tested your master license on my Windows computer and it worked fine.   I also reset your restore count to the full amount.  Anytime you need this reset, just let us know.

How are you installing the license, inside Media Center 21 using the Help / Install license... menu option?  Make sure you are copy and pasting the MC21 Master license that begins with "CMIE7-".  The problem you describe usually happens if someone is accidentally trying to install one of their older license keys.  Are you installing it on Windows or Mac?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

justin42

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 10:29:19 am »

I tested your master license on my Windows computer and it worked fine.   I also reset your restore count to the full amount.  Anytime you need this reset, just let us know.

How are you installing the license, inside Media Center 21 using the Help / Install license... menu option?  Make sure you are copy and pasting the MC21 Master license that begins with "CMIE7-".  The problem you describe usually happens if someone is accidentally trying to install one of their older license keys.  Are you installing it on Windows or Mac?

I am using the Help / Install license option. I verified that I am using the correct key that starts with CMIE7. Still getting the same result: it says "License for Media Center Was Successfully Installed" twice in a row, but doesn't actually install the license. Going to Help / Registration Info still shows as "UNREGISTERED." Also still getting the automated email from buy-button saying I used one of my restores. I am using the MC21 Master license trying to register MC21 on Windows. I bought the upgrade from my Mac license to Master license via the Help - upgrade to Master option in JRiver on my Mac.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 10:35:12 am »

Do you have older versions of MC for windows installed?  MC20, MC19, etc?  Sometimes registration appears to work, and it calls the OLDER version of MC instead.

There is a procedure for making this work, but I can't remember what it is.  I'll bet someone else who's more familiar with the windows version of MC will remember.

Brian.

justin42

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 10:36:15 am »

Do you have older versions of MC for windows installed?  MC20, MC19, etc?  Sometimes registration appears to work, and it calls the OLDER version of MC instead.

There is a procedure for making this work, but I can't remember what it is.  I'll bet someone else who's more familiar with the windows version of MC will remember.

Brian.

Nope. This is a new machine at work; only install of JRiver ever done on it is the install of MC21 that was done last week.

JohnT

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 10:36:47 am »

If you know how to view your registry (using regedit.exe), could you check if there's a key at this location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\JRiver\BuyButton\2.0\JRiver, Inc.\Media Center\21 Master\RCode

justin42

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 10:40:27 am »

If you know how to view your registry (using regedit.exe), could you check if there's a key at this location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\JRiver\BuyButton\2.0\JRiver, Inc.\Media Center\21 Master\RCode

Not seeing it. At HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\JRiver there are two folders; Media Center 21 and Media Core; no BuyBuyButton

JohnT

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 10:46:24 am »

Try searching the registry for the string "BuyButton" and see if it's in another location.  Which would be strange.

justin42

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 10:49:09 am »

Try searching the registry for the string "BuyButton" and see if it's in another location.  Which would be strange.

Just did a registry search; nothing

JohnT

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 10:52:34 am »

I'm not sure how this can happen.  When we show the "... Successfully installed" message, we've already written it to the registry with no errors.

If you're running any anti-virus or special registry software, try disabling it.  Is there anything different about your account on that computer, is it a regular or admin level user?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 10:53:16 am »

What permissions does your user account have, and what mode is User Account Control in Windows set to? Writing into HKLM requires admin rights, which it may not be able to obtain automatically for some reason?

If all else fails, try running MC as Admin when doing the license restore?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

justin42

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 11:08:17 am »

What permissions does your user account have, and what mode is User Account Control in Windows set to? Writing into HKLM requires admin rights, which it may not be able to obtain automatically for some reason?

If all else fails, try running MC as Admin when doing the license restore?

That did the trick! This is on a work PC; we ran MC as admin, entered the code, and all good. Might be worth adding to the registration FAQ? Can't imagine I'm the only person who uses JRiver on a work machine. Thank you again for the quick help!

JohnT

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 11:16:09 am »

Glad it's working for you.  

I was just testing restoring a license as a normal user on Windows 10, but when I did that it popped up a UAC prompt and an administrator had to enter their password in order to proceed.  Are you on Windows 10?  I wonder why you weren't seeing the UAC prompt.

I guess maybe UAC prompting is turned off for your account.  We should handle this better.

justin42

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 11:19:36 am »

Glad it's working for you. 

I was just testing restoring a license as a normal user on Windows 10, but when I did that it popped up a UAC prompt and an administrator had to enter their password in order to proceed.  Are you on Windows 10?  I wonder why you weren't seeing the UAC prompt.

Windows 7; I didn't get any prompts to run as Admin; everything looked like it was working, aside from the two pop-ups and the registration not actually taking. When we ran as Admin, only one pop up occurred, and it also opened IE to the successful registration JRiver page, which hadn't happened before.
Pages: [1]   Go Up