INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compatibility Lynx Hilo Thunderbolt with JRiver Integer Mode  (Read 2515 times)

xtraktz

• Junior Woodchuck
Compatibility Lynx Hilo Thunderbolt with JRiver Integer Mode
« on: April 21, 2016, 03:20:42 am »

Hello Support

I have Lynx Hilo with Thunderbolt interface and Mac Mini MD387 10.9.5. Also I have installed last version of MC.

How can I check whether Integer mode is working correctly?

If I turn it on, I do not have problems with playback.

But I have some contradictory information about support Integer Mode by Thunderbolt driver from Lynx team and A+ developer.
https://audirvana.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=981
http://www.lynxstudio.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6156&title=lynx-hilo-thunderbolt-not-support-a-integer-mode

What do you think about it or please give me advice how use Integer Mode in MC in my case?

Thanks.
MAC MINI > dCS DEBUSSY > ATC SCA2 > ATC SCM 50 ASLT

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Compatibility Lynx Hilo Thunderbolt with JRiver Integer Mode
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 05:17:28 am »

If its playing back and it sounds good, its working I'd think. Not sure I understand why it matters? How you can absolutely check .. not sure.

As for the rest ... what do I think?

Conversion between 32-bit float and 24-bit signed integer is done bit perfect.  32-bit float doesn't have any more 'resolution' than 24-bit signed integer.  The extra bits are for the exponent, which doesn't contribute to the 'resolution' of the audio.  If there are differences in the sound quality, then someone up-stream isn't doing their math properly (or the listener is using subjective measures to determine if there are audible differences).  There is no 'maximizes sound quality' issue here.
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.
Co-founder, Chief Software Engineer
Agree

It is incorrect to say that if we don't support what he calls "Integer Mode" that we are not 100% compliant.  Core Audio at its base is Float32.  Our audio device is signed integer, so a conversion is necessary.  As long as that conversion is bit-perfect, there is no down-side.  He has simply invented an issue that doesn't exist to try and differentiate what he is doing.

I must completely disagree with the conclusion in the document you posted.

Quote Conclusion.  The computer is a great music server but also a source of jitter and other RF interferences that are detrimental the sound quality, even when bit perfect reproduction is ensured.

The computer is not a source of jitter or RF interference when the audio device is done properly.  In your case the audio device is completely external to the computer (Hilo-TB) so that rules out a major portion of the conclusion.  This is simply bringing up the failings of poorly designed cheap sound cards and making a blanket statement about all computer based audio products, which of course is completely false.

The other part of the article talks about how OS X Core Audio "can" interject volume changes and filters.  Properly written playback software will not allow those into the audio chain so it is simply a non-issue.

My conclusion is this is a "white-paper" written to justify why you should use his application over others, but has no merit in fact.  I'm not saying that the application isn't worthwhile.  I'm just saying that the reasons stated in the document posted are non-issues.

Edited by David A Hoatson - 12 hours 13 minutes ago at 2:40pm
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.
Co-founder, Chief Software Engineer
sorry A+ agree again.

Its one thing to talk about benefits to a cheap sound card and another to talk about a good external one. Lynx is serious stuff and professional. My opionion -- trust them. There are a lot of options in JRiver, some are here because people wanted them so badly, but IMHO, I doubt anyone could perceive a difference; some however you have to use depending on the equipment in the chain. 

Off-topic Not sure I understand what difference the dev from Audio Nirvana says if you are using JRiver? You aren't running them both at once are you?

xtraktz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 07:06:32 am »

If its playing back and it sounds good, its working I'd think. Not sure I understand why it matters? How you can absolutely check .. not sure.
"sounds good" - it is a subjective criterion :) Just want to be sure that I'm on the right way with program settings (objective criterion).

Off-topic Not sure I understand what difference the dev from Audio Nirvana says if you are using JRiver? You aren't running them both at once are you?
The main player that I use for audio and video is JRiver. Last A+ versions also sounds good for me. Recently, it seems that A+ sounds better than JRiver, not sure and not always :)
I'm running both players separately. Both at once will not work.
MAC MINI > dCS DEBUSSY > ATC SCA2 > ATC SCM 50 ASLT

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 02:40:18 am »

"sounds good" - it is a subjective criterion :) Just want to be sure that I'm on the right way with program settings (objective criterion).
yes it is - my point exactly (I'm dubious about objective criteria if a good dac can work on multiple setting, its all subjective after a point or more likely an anticipation bias).  If you choose a setting in JRiver, I tend to take a leap of faith that its actually doing what you chose it to do.

So, as I said,  I'm not sure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up