INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: questions about replay gain......  (Read 1250 times)

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
questions about replay gain......
« on: August 15, 2003, 12:46:14 am »

i have some questions about replay gain settings in MC9:

(i) firstly i would like to know why the default settings for replay gain in MC9 are so low, 83 db (or -17db) i think, as opposed to 89db in MP3 gain.  Not only are my recording levels on burning cds using replay gain very low, but the sound quality is reduced because the signal is pushed down relative to the noise level.

(ii) given that the replay gain settings are low, it is pleasing to find that there is a function within replay gain to set an overall gain setting to all files on burning a cd, so that the recording level is higher, and that there is also a function to calculate automatically what the best gain setting is for a given playlist, to maximise recording level without clipping.  however if one track in the playlist has only been reduced by say 2db in replay gain, and most by around 10-15db, then the calculated gain setting will only be around +2db or slightly higher, meaning that most of the tracks will be substantially quieter on burning to cd. is there another way of making the overall gain level higher without clipping (but still using all of the tracks!!)?

(iii) say a track was reduced by 7db in audio analysis, and then i applied an overall gain setting of +7db.  would there be any processing of the file when i burn to cd, or will it just be left alone (i.e. will the two processes/calculations cancel each other out).  is there even any processing on a track that isn't boosted or reduced in audio analysis?

(iv) finally, if having applied replay gain to a given playlist to burn to cd there is a noticeable difference in a couple of the tracks, is there a way of manually adjusting the gain level of these tracks so that they come into line with the others, but still keeping all of the other replay gain settings the same?

thanks for your help, nick...........

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: questions about replay gain......
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2003, 10:30:44 am »

I believe MC uses 83dB because that is what is suggested in the original Replay Gain specs.

http://replaygain.hydrogenaudio.org/

The reason other implementations (like MP3gain) use 89dB is that people complained that 83dB was too low, especially for use on portable devices, so it was bumped up to 89dB. MC devs chose to stick with the original specs and give users the option to adjust it up or down globally in the DSP.

Rob

Stebajo

• World Citizen
  • Every move you'll make I'll be here with you
Re: questions about replay gain......
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2003, 02:25:48 pm »

From my personal point of view MP3Gain is faster, made possible adjust manually every tracks, then it backup by default directly on files the previous value if you need come back to the original. Or again put away its original value later if you prefer, and remember to disable its backup function for the next scans(that is a need if you use also a portable Juxebox like me); anyway is always possible repeat a multiple scan in an istant & set a new value lossless.
Personally I setted all my 7000 files at the default of 90db that gives me a good volume in every situation, HDs or JB will be aways happy :D. Just to remember that after a multiple level scan, I always made a track to 90db as said, then if remain some 'red' clipping song I make a clip(track) ordinament and put away those 'black' without clip and lowering the target volume of 1db by 1 to make some next red files black, and so on for all songs. I only stop to lower at my minimum limit of 85db, if again it's clipping I leave it red.
As last, it's easy to use the win explorer right-click function 'send to' mp3Gain gui multiple files to start a new scan just in a click!
I never found a better soft for this job, but it's only my personal opinion...

stebajo
Pages: [1]   Go Up