INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Feature Request - separate duplicate albums by file type  (Read 1476 times)

Mountainjoe

• Recent member
New Feature Request - separate duplicate albums by file type
« on: April 23, 2016, 03:25:33 pm »

I have many duplicate albums with different versions of compression (e.g. DSD, PCM, WAV) but MC21 simply collapses all of the duplicate tracks into a single album and on playback, will play each duplicate track so you end up hearing the same song multiple times in a row (based on the number of duplicate versions).

The SW should have a feature that can automatically separate out duplicate albums by file type. In addition, it would be useful to have an overlay of text on the album art to show what is the underlying file type so you don't have to push into each album in order to find out.

TIA, Joe

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: New Feature Request - separate duplicate albums by file type
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 03:54:18 pm »

There are ways of doing both of the things you're asking for.  They both require a bit of work on your part.  But more importantly, you probably want to consider how you want to view your collection.  Do you want to see all versions of all albums in the same view?  With a small collection that might be perfect.  Or do you want to be able to select only DSD albums?  Or only WAV, FLAC, etc albums?  You can do that too.

MC can do the "auto separate by file type" in a view, but there are a lot of considerations.  Here's a thread that discusses a lot of the details, along with a few solutions:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=102465.0

It's not exactly simple, but it's not super hard.  I can try to help you out if you are interested.

I'll tell you ahead of time that I discarded this way of "auto sorting" a while back because it wasn't working for my overall use of MC.  Depending on the size of your collection, you might do some automated tagging to add "DSD" or similar so some of your albums.  You might also want to build some views that filter out lower quality versions of albums like MP3 versions.  It's all up to how you want to browse, search, and sort your collection.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up