INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moved, and I Have Internets Again (Kinda)  (Read 8524 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Moved, and I Have Internets Again (Kinda)
« on: April 24, 2016, 09:50:53 am »

Woohoo! I've been largely absent for a couple weeks as we've been in the process of moving. We're all moved in, for now, and unpacking is somewhat done. This is only move #1 (we sold our house, are in a summer rental while we look for and buy a new house), so we get to do it all again soon.

However, I've been stressing because the rental doesn't have cable and is pretty far back in the woods. Beautiful, but cell service is weak and getting an ISP may have been a real struggle.

But the local phone company said they have DSL service (cruddy 1.5mbps service, but that's better than none) and sent me a modem. I spent a bunch of time on Friday trying to get it set up, on the phone with tech support, and couldn't get it to get sync. They said they were sending a tech "sometime in the week" but I worried that there was just no DSL available here.

But, the tech called and came today (pleasant surprise). He just left (after fixing a line problem a bit down the road), and I got sync! Yes! An unplugged summer wouldn't have been the worst thing possible, but I'm sure happier with it than without.

Got to get the network all re-done in wireless fashion (sigh, but it is a rental) but I'm in a lot happier place now than this morning!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

lepa

• MC Beta Team
Re: Moved, and I Have Internets Again (Kinda)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 11:50:01 am »

Cool. Staying in the same city? I've been pondering whether I should change ADSL to cable modem to get some more uplink bandwidth. I now have 2mbps but it would be nice to stream maximum quality video to JRemote. Also have been playing with Owncloud with Raspberry which also would benefit better outgoing traffic.

This got me thinking that it would be great if MC could also be used like cloudserver so I could send my pictures and other stuff from Gizmo/JRemote or could share dropbox type links for friends. Of course some sort of secure connection to server would be must in that case.

Arindelle

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 04:24:47 am »

ouch 1.5mbs my upload is 5x faster. Under 70mBs I get impatient.  Do you have humanoid neighbors Glynor or just Moose ?!  ;D

glad to see you have a plan, though, I've got to sell my house and not looking forward to it at all. Never though about "summer rentals" might be something I should look into.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 06:33:31 am »

ouch is right..... I think I have a 1200/75 baud modem you can borrow.   ;D
JRiver CEO Elect

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 07:24:46 am »

glynor, major respect for doing a double move.

I wimped out last year when I moved from the apartment I'd been in for years to finally getting a house. Took the costly move of buying the new joint, cleared out the old place and then did the sale. As low stress as you can get. Also helped by a move less than half a mile.

Hope you get more pleasant surprises. Sometimes the world can play nice.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 03:08:17 pm »

ouch 1.5mbs my upload is 5x faster. Under 70mBs I get impatient.  Do you have humanoid neighbors Glynor or just Moose ?!  ;D

My previous service was 50 down, 5 up (which was the best residential service offered via cable in my area).  This DSL I have now... Is better than nothing, but only by a notch or two. I suppose at-least it isn't dial-up, so it could be worse.

And, yes, we have some human neighbors. But certainly more deer and coyotes than people.  ;D

Never though about "summer rentals" might be something I should look into.

We actually got stupid-lucky on this place. Around here, it is pretty difficult to get a year-round rental with a lease. Most of them are only offered October - May, and then they rent them for the summer months at $1200-2500/wk. But, though a convenient accident, we managed to luck into this place for an extremely reasonable cost through October 1.

glynor, major respect for doing a double move.

I wimped out last year when I moved from the apartment I'd been in for years to finally getting a house. Took the costly move of buying the new joint, cleared out the old place and then did the sale. As low stress as you can get. Also helped by a move less than half a mile.

I'm not looking forward to the second move, for sure. Most of our stuff is still boxed up in storage, so that will be a bit more convenient, but we can't very well live with nothing (and with a 5-year-old) for months until everything is settled, so we still have a substantial portion to re-pack and move.

Buying anything new without first selling our existing abode just wasn't possible. We couldn't have covered the double-mortgage for long, and... Well, there's a house down the street from my former home that has been for sale for 3 years now. They have it priced too high, and we didn't, but still... We didn't know what was going to happen. Of course, as things go, when it happened, it happened pretty quickly.

Now, we have to decide, which is its own kind of pain. But, the whole point (my wife tells me daily) is to make things better, so we're trying.  :) ;)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 03:13:31 pm »

Cool. Staying in the same city?

Hah! Maine doesn't really have "cities" (not in the conventional sense of the word). I suppose there's Portland, but most people here would argue that Portland isn't Maine, and is instead part of Massachusetts-North.

Reasonably close by. We're trying to upgrade the house a bit, get a better school district for our daughter (who is entering kindergarten this year), and get a bit closer to work. How close we get to those ideals depends entirely on how much in debt we decide to go.

There are some lovely 2-3 acre plots of land for sale right nearby my office for only $1.5-3 million. Downright reasonable compared to just a handful of years ago, but still a touch out of our price range.  ::)  ;D

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 10:12:53 pm »

We closed on our new property today! That was a much longer road than we'd hoped, but it was worth it in the end. Next, we finally start building.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 12:54:58 am »

Great!  Congratulations!  Do you have a view of Ireland?

Pictures?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 09:44:29 am »

Great!  Congratulations!  Do you have a view of Ireland?

Thanks! And definitely not. No photos yet. Right now, it is just a "view" of trees. Some of them are lovely, but there are a LOT of them.

In the end, we could not find a home that would meet our needs, so we're building. So, the lot is a nice 3 acre plot that is currently just wooded. We'll be digging a hole soon (almost certainly with dynamite), though. There might be pictures then!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 12:44:52 pm »

We finally completed our post-cabin couch surfing adventure yesterday and are now moved into the rental we'll have until our house is done (sometime in January)!

And, even better, I have Internets which actually seems to work (after I fixed the broken IP configuration on their routers, that is)!

I won't really have much time to get it all up and running for another week or so, though, as I'm going on a business trip for a week starting on Sunday. But, being able to look at web pages again when I'm not at work is super exciting!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 06:23:53 pm »

We closed on our new property today! That was a much longer road than we'd hoped, but it was worth it in the end. Next, we finally start building.
I don't think we ever got the pictures of the finished work.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 04:52:37 pm »

You're right, Jim (also this was 8 months ago), but I should get around to that... Especially now that I have grass.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 03:49:55 am »

... Especially now that I have grass.

I hear that is legal in many states now!
JRiver CEO Elect

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2019, 06:52:46 pm »

I hear that is legal in many states now!

Yup. Including mine.

Absinthe

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 07:21:32 pm »

There are some lovely 2-3 acre plots of land for sale right nearby my office for only $1.5-3 million. Downright reasonable compared to just a handful of years ago, but still a touch out of our price range.  ::)  ;D

Gawd, and I thought land was ridiculous in California ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up