INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to Start? re: Id model#202  (Read 2643 times)

tomo

Where to Start? re: Id model#202
« on: April 26, 2016, 05:50:03 pm »

I am not a computer enthusiast or HiFi audiophile.
I use an Apple MacBook Pro and an iPhone 5 — that’s it for computer knowledge.

Wish List:
1)   To store, organize and play conventional loss-less audio files to an analog 2-channel stereo HiFi.
2)   A stand-alone audio component and controller similar to a CD player.
3)   I want to turn on the “amp", use an iPad (running a JRiver app) to select an album, hit play and listen.

My understanding so far:

1)   The Id is a storage hard drive with a digital-analog-converter built-in and a micro-jack port for connection to an analog “amp” using micro/RCA cables.
2)   The unit can be controlled using an iPad via a Bluetooth connection and using JRiver software installed as a “app”.
3)   My personal computer is required for set-up, but needs not be involved for playback after that.
4)   Linux/Apple compatibility isn’t an issue —I can use my Apple computer make everything work
5)   I should have all media files backed up on a second hard-drive

Questions:

1)   Is the JRiver Id a “consumer-enough” audio component for those without experience or interest in computer interconnectedness? (is this Networking?)
2)   How often does the software require updates and fixes? 
3)   Will it last? —is the operating design accepted as standard and stable?
4)   Googling doesn’t produce much about the product beyond this Forum.  Why? —is JRiver trying to reach a broad market w/the Id?

BradATIMA

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Where to Start? re: Id model#202
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 11:37:09 am »

First of all, The Id should satisfy everything on your wishlist. However, there seems to be some confusion on a few points, so I will try to clarify.

The Id 202 is a NUC5CPYH with a 2TB hard drive. You can find more details on the NUC5CPYH here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-nuc5cpyh.html

The Id can be controlled with the JRemote app on an iPad; however, the Id firmware does not support Bluetooth, currently. JRemote will be able to control the Id over a wireless network connection. You do not need a computer to do the first time setup for the Id. To do the first time setup, you can simply connect a monitor, keyboard, and mouse to the Id itself. After the initial setup and configuration, switch it to headless text mode and connect the Id to your stereo system. The Id can run in headless text mode without a monitor or input devices connected to it. Just use JRemote to control playback.

The Id firmware includes Debian Linux for an operating system and Media Center 20 for Linux. Linux is not a very user-friendly setup, so it can take some time to get used to. It does not require updates very often. It uses Linux and Media Center 20 for stability, so it should last. You won't find much information about the Id beyond this forum because JRiver is the only one building the Id.

tomo

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 10:13:18 pm »

Thank you for the response.  It helps to understand the the Id is some proprietary form of existing Intel product. 

"To do the first time setup, you can simply connect a monitor, keyboard, and mouse to the Id itself. "
+
"The Id firmware includes Debian Linux for an operating system and Media Center 20 for Linux. Linux is not a very user-friendly setup, so it can take some time to get used to."

This makes me nervous- as initially stated, I have a MacBook Pro to do the set up.  These flavors of operating systems are unknown to me.
I'll look through the forum to better formulate a follow-up question regarding set up with a Apple device.
I'm not the kind of guy to have a monitor keyboard and mouse laying around...

I guess this gets back to if this is a consumer-enough product or, a really cool thing for a NUC5CPYH enthusiast.

I've enjoyed the challenge of what it all means so far.
Wishing everyone great sounds,  Thanks again.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 06:48:48 am »

You can ignore the "user friendly" comment.  You don't have to use Linux to run an Id.  For the most part, our software has its own management tools.
Pages: [1]   Go Up