INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movie & TV show import problems  (Read 3437 times)

MistaWu

Movie & TV show import problems
« on: April 27, 2016, 02:53:37 am »

Hello,

I'm doing a test run of JRiver Media Ceter on my htpc, coming from Kodi theres a few thing I'm having some issues with in regards to the media library.

Movies: In Kodi I had it set up to scan \\nas\movies\ - each movie is in it's own subfolder. Now with JRiver MC, it sort of works, but for some folders with the contents of a blu-ray disc, I get for example 4 'Kill your killer' for 00000.mpls whitch is located under \\nas\movies\Red (2010)\PLAYLIST and same for \\nas\movies\Red (2010)\BACKUP\PLAYLIST. Is there any way to get it to work like kodi? As in it only use the first subfolder for import, and exclude any subfolders of the first subfolder?

TV Shows: Same folder structure, \\nas\tv shows\, this works better, but shows with ex (year) or (us) or (uk) etc in the folder and file names it imports each episode on its own. Shows without () works fine.

Other than that I'm quite happy with the audio / video quality and the general performance, some tweaking to the theatre view I guess can be done with themes? (looks a little basic imo).

Any tips on how I can get this done?

-MistaWu

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Movie & TV show import problems
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 05:42:23 pm »

Okay, I'm not expert of BD structure, but;

MC doesn't handle BD menus, at all. It just imports and plays the main video. I'm not sure if that has an impact on whether Playlist files are used for playback or not. Certainly you shouldn't be getting four records in MC for one 00000.mpls.

I have ripped a number of BD to their folder structure on hard disk and they have all been imported as the index.bdmv file. I have never had an import pick up the MPLS Playlist files. I was thinking we may have different File Type associations with MC, and that I didn't associate MPLS files as BD video, but I do have Blu-ray files (bdmv,mpls) associated with MC. I also have the playback method set to automatic for those files. Take a look at Options>File Types>Video in MC.

So I don't know exactly what is going on with your BDs. Perhaps if you explained how you imported them. Did you drag and drop the mpls files into MC, or manually run the import, or let MC find and import the media via Auto-Import?

Note also that when MC imports media, it tries to work out what the media is based on the folder structure and file naming, using functionality called CARNAC by JRiver. Search around for more information on CARNAC in the forum and Wiki. While CARNAC does the best job it can it isn't always perfect, depending on media naming. What it learns it writes to tags in the media file, or in the case of TV Shows and Movies, in a Sidecar XML file. It is those tags that determine how TV Shows are displayed in MC. CARNAC doesn't change the file names on import. (year) should be interpreted as the year of the program, which usually means the year of release or first showing. (us) and (uk) probably aren't interpreted into any tag, but may be. You will need to check the tags against the media files. Note that [Name] in MC isn't the file name, but the name of the program. So if [Name] doesn't show (uk) etc., it just means that MC hasn't retained that information for use in the [Name] tag. You can add that in if you wish. You can also frce MC to use the file name as the [Name].

If you are getting each Episode of a TV Series as a stand alone TV program, then the [Series] and [Season] tags aren't being picked up correctly by CARNAC. You will need to correct those tags yourself. Just select the file(s), click on the "tag" item in the Action Window (bottom left corner in Standard View), then find and change the [Series] and [Season] tags. The when you check under the "Shows" menu item in Theatre View you should have the TV Shows organised into Series>Season>Episodes, where you drill down one level at a time. Note that if you only have one Season of a show, MC will jump directly from Series to Episodes. This is the intended way it should work.

Note that if your media files for TV Shows are named something like "Air Crash Investigation - S05E01 - Behind Closed Doors", then CARNAC will pick up;
[Series] = Air Crash Investigation
[Season] = 05
[Episode] = 01
[Name] = Behind Closed Doors  ( In this case the [Name] tag will be the Episode name. For movies it will be the movie name. When no Episode information is available it will be the Series name.)

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

MistaWu

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 06:39:50 am »

Thanks, I will have a look when I get home tonight.

I have ripped a number of BD to their folder structure on hard disk and they have all been imported as the index.bdmv file. I have never had an import pick up the MPLS Playlist files. I was thinking we may have different File Type associations with MC, and that I didn't associate MPLS files as BD video, but I do have Blu-ray files (bdmv,mpls) associated with MC. I also have the playback method set to automatic for those files. Take a look at Options>File Types>Video in MC.

So I don't know exactly what is going on with your BDs. Perhaps if you explained how you imported them. Did you drag and drop the mpls files into MC, or manually run the import, or let MC find and import the media via Auto-Import?

FTA is the same as yours. Pretty much everything is ticked. I added the \\nas\movies\ folder to autoimport and selected movies in the options.

I see MC has created sidecar files for the mpls:
Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<MPL Version="2.0" Title="JRSidecar" PathSeparator="\">
<Item>
<Field Name="Filename">\\nas\Data\Movies\RED (2010)\PLAYLIST\00000.mpls</Field>
<Field Name="Stack Top">-1</Field>
<Field Name="Stack View">0</Field>
<Field Name="Media Sub Type">Movie</Field>
<Field Name="Audio Analysis Info">&lt;XMLPH version="1,0"&gt;
&lt;Item Name="LastFailedDate"&gt;42482,98028&lt;/Item&gt;
&lt;Item Name="Excluded"&gt;No Audio&lt;/Item&gt;
&lt;/XMLPH&gt;</Field>
<Field Name="Date">40179</Field>
<Field Name="Name">PLAYLIST</Field>
<Field Name="Get Metadata Info">&lt;XMLPH version="1,0"&gt;
&lt;Item Name="LastFailedDate"/&gt;
&lt;Item Name="LastTryDate"&gt;42482,99794&lt;/Item&gt;
&lt;/XMLPH&gt;</Field>
</Item>
</MPL>

If you are getting each Episode of a TV Series as a stand alone TV program, then the [Series] and [Season] tags aren't being picked up correctly by CARNAC. You will need to correct those tags yourself. Just select the file(s), click on the "tag" item in the Action Window (bottom left corner in Standard View), then find and change the [Series] and [Season] tags. The when you check under the "Shows" menu item in Theatre View you should have the TV Shows organised into Series>Season>Episodes, where you drill down one level at a time. Note that if you only have one Season of a show, MC will jump directly from Series to Episodes. This is the intended way it should work.

Note that if your media files for TV Shows are named something like "Air Crash Investigation - S05E01 - Behind Closed Doors", then CARNAC will pick up;
[Series] = Air Crash Investigation
[Season] = 05
[Episode] = 01
[Name] = Behind Closed Doors  ( In this case the [Name] tag will be the Episode name. For movies it will be the movie name. When no Episode information is available it will be the Series name.)

TV Shows are named: ..\TV Shows\The Americans (2013)\The Americans (2013) - S04E01 - Glanders.mkv (doesnt work, each episode is a 'own show') or ..\TV Shows\Game of Thrones\Game of Thrones - S01E01 - Winter Is Coming.mkv which works as expected. Organizing / renaming is done automatically with another application.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 05:19:15 pm »

It looks like you haven't run "Get Movie & TV Info..." against that BD movie. Auto-Import has a flag to include that process, or you can do it separately. I think we need someone who knows a lot more about BDs in MC to comment on why you are getting multiple MPL files imported into MC. Just for reference though, here is the XML Sidecar file for one of my BD. Note that even though index.bdmv is imported in my case, the data is still wrapped in an <MPL> tag.

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<MPL Version="2.0" Title="JRSidecar" PathSeparator="\">
<Item>
<Field Name="Filename">F:\Movies\Big Hero 6\BIG_HERO_6\BDMV\index.bdmv</Field>
<Field Name="Replay Gain">3.55</Field>
<Field Name="MPAA Rating">PG</Field>
<Field Name="Producer">Roy Conli</Field>
<Field Name="Last Skipped">1452051529</Field>
<Field Name="Peak Level (Sample)">-2.0 dB; -2.1 Left; -2.0 Right; -2.0 Center; -2.1 Sub; -5.9 RL; -5.1 RR; -6.2 SL; -5.7 SR</Field>
<Field Name="Volume Level (R128)">-1.4536199569702148</Field>
<Field Name="Peak Level">0.794</Field>
<Field Name="Dynamic Range (DR)">20</Field>
<Field Name="Genre">Adventure; Family; Animation; Action; Comedy</Field>
<Field Name="IMDb ID">tt2245084</Field>
<Field Name="Actors">Scott Adsit; Ryan Potter; Daniel Henney; T.J. Miller; Jamie Chung; Damon Wayans Jr.; Génesis Rodríguez; James Cromwell; Alan Tudyk; Maya Rudolph; Abraham Benrubi; Katie Lowes; Billy Bush; Dan Gerson; Paul Briggs; Charlie Adler; Marcella Lentz-Pope; Charlotte Gulezian; David Shaughnessy; Kirk Baily; Reed Buck; June Christopher; Cam Clarke; Roy Conli; Cooper Cowgill; David Cowgill; Marlie Crisafulli; Terri Douglas; Jackie Gonneau; Nicholas Guest; Bridget Hoffman; Kelly Hoover; Leah Latham; James Taku Leung; Yuri Lowenthal; Tim Mertens; Yumi Mizui; Brian R. Norris; Sundra Oakley; Michael Powers; Lynwood Robinson; Shane Sweet; Josie Trinidad; Stan Lee; Dan Howell; Frank Welker</Field>
<Field Name="Director">Don Hall; Chris Williams</Field>
<Field Name="Stack Top">-1</Field>
<Field Name="Peak Level (R128)">-2.0 dBTP; -2.0 Left; -2.0 Right; -2.0 Center; -2.0 Sub; -5.9 RL; -5.0 RR; -6.2 SL; -5.7 SR</Field>
<Field Name="BPM">53</Field>
<Field Name="Dynamic Range (R128)">18.3303699493408203</Field>
<Field Name="Description">The special bond that develops between plus-sized inflatable robot Baymax, and prodigy Hiro Hamada, who team up with a group of friends to form a band of high-tech heroes.</Field>
<Field Name="Keywords">Hero; Robot; Boy Genius; Robots; 3d; 3d Animation</Field>
<Field Name="Bookmark">2374</Field>
<Field Name="Stack View">0</Field>
<Field Name="Media Sub Type">Movie</Field>
<Field Name="Gross Revenue">$652,105,443</Field>
<Field Name="Volume Level (ReplayGain)">3.5463800430297852</Field>
<Field Name="Budget">$165,000,000</Field>
<Field Name="Skip Count">1</Field>
<Field Name="Date">41950</Field>
<Field Name="Name">Big Hero 6</Field>
<Field Name="Get Metadata Info">&lt;XMLPH version="1.0"&gt;
&lt;Item Name="LastFailedDate"/&gt;
&lt;Item Name="LastTryDate"&gt;42375.59501&lt;/Item&gt;
&lt;/XMLPH&gt;</Field>
<Field Name="Critic Rating">TMDb 7.9 / 10</Field>
</Item>
</MPL>

I assume you haven't looked at the tags for the TV Shows yet, to see if they have Series and Season tags. Your second example absolutely should always work. I would have expected the first example to work as well, as long as all episodes are named the same "The Americans (2013)...".
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 08:34:04 pm »

Hmmm. I just ran some quick tests, and I see what you mean about CARNAC importing the TV Shows as individual programs.

Using these directory and file naming conventions;
\Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997)\Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997).1x01.Welcome to the Hellmouth.mkv
\Buffy the Vampire Slayer\Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997).1x01.Welcome to the Hellmouth.mkv

Both formats fail to recognise the Series as "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", or therefore extract Season and Episode numbers or names, or look up metadata. MC just creates individual program records, all with the [Name] tag set to "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and the [Date] and [Year] tags set to "1997". That shouldn't happen.

Using the directory and file naming conventions of;
\Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997)\Buffy the Vampire Slayer.1x01.Welcome to the Hellmouth.mkv
\Buffy the Vampire Slayer\Buffy the Vampire Slayer.1x01.Welcome to the Hellmouth.mkv

Did result in the Series, Season number, Episode number and name being correctly identified, and therefore the metadata lookup worked, bringing in extra information about the shows from TheTVDB.com. Note that CARNAC works on the file name, and doesn't care about the directory names. It is the (Year) in the file name that is causing the problem.

There was a big discussion about CARNAC's handling of Year values in file names some time back, and I thought it was all resolved with the Year value being extracted and saved to the [Year] tag, and possibly to the [Date] tag as well if there was no other information on the program date.
This was one of the related discussions, though not specifically your issue: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=101939.msg707203#msg707203 Note however that Hendrik said "Carnac of course knows its importing a series name", so CARNAC should know it has a series, even when there is a year in the series name.
The is also this:
21.0.7 (9/14/2015)
29. Changed: Carnac understands the naming template Move Name (Year).
So if CARNAC understands "Movie Name (Year)" it should understand "Series Name (Year)".

Note, Matt and Hendrik are both JRiver developers, so what they say is going to be correct.

Maybe try searching for some more for topics discussing CARNAC and Year. I couldn't find anything better than above for your specific issue though.

PS: What will be even more frustrating in the example you gave for "The Americans (2013)" is that that is the name used on TheTVDB.com where MC looks up metadata. So the [Series] tag needs to be "The Americans (2013)" and not just "The Americans" for MC to find the correct Series and hence metadata.

What you should know is that once MC knows that TheTVDB ID for the series is 261690, then it doesn't matter what the series is called in MC, as long as the file naming and hence [Series] tag are consistent. i.e. If you imported one episode of "The Americans", did a manual "Get Movie & TV Info..." lookup and selected the correct series on TheTVDB, series 261690, then all future programs imported as  "The Americans" would be associated with the correct series of  "The Americans 2013", even though the names don't match. But that is a bit of an aside.

MistaWu

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 02:14:52 am »

Got most of the issues sorted now, changed the naming scheme of tv shows from "Series - E##S## - Name" to "E##S## - Name", that seems to work better after manually tagging the episodes that exists.

Blu-Ray disks also fixed by changing the fta's and reimporting the movies folder.

Now I'm looking for ways to customize the theatre view, as it's quite tiresome (and not very waf) to navigate through 90+ tv shows with no visual cue of whats watched or not. Anyone got some tips how I can make a view to only display unwatched content?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 03:14:08 am »

Now you at the beginning of a journey to learn about View Creation, Editing, Sorting, and Displaying.

First, the Theatre View menu structure and views are shown under Options>Theatre View>Items To Show. Take a look at how the default ones are set up, and experiment with them from there. Back up your library before you make changes. There are articles in the Wiki about Views, and there are many threads on the topic, many about achieving specific results. Search is your friend.

Do note that MC doesn't like to have its Theatre View menu items renamed, particularly the top level menus, as the names, or at least some of them, are basically hard coded in the program to have certain functionality. For example in the Options>Startup>Startup Interface>Location setting, the original names of the top level menus are always shown. If you rename the "Video" menu item to "Videos" and set the startup location to "Video" you will get unexpected results. Another example is the Media Center Core Command 22001, which allows you to use a command to jump to a particular top level menu in Theatre View, uses the original menu names.

I have tended to leave the original menu names in place on my HTPC, but have added things like "Recorded TV", "TV Favourites" and "TV Stations" under the default top level "Video" menu. I have also changed the way some of the default views work, to change the record selection, sorting, and display format, for example.

I can understand that it is a pain to wade through lots of TV programs to find something you haven't watched, or the series you are currently interested in watching, or watched last night but can't remember its name, and so on. That is why I have set up a "TV Favourites" view, which uses a library field I added called "Favourite TV", for which there can be only one value for each TV Series. So now, if I want to make a TV Series one that I watch regularly, I ticked the "Favourite TV" checkbox, and all of the episodes of that favourite series show up in my custom view, sorted by Series>Season>Episode, like the default "Shows" view. It sorts the wheat from the chaff for me. You could do anything similar like creating a "Wife's TV" view with all her favourite shows. "Sport TV" view, and so on. I also have a view that only programs that have been recorded, and not shows that I have obtained otherwise. You should also learn to use the "Recent" view at the top of the default "Shows" sub-menu, as well as the "Genre" and "Series" views.

Note that all media that has been watched is supposed to get a tick next to it in Theatre View, which is based on the [Number Plays] tag, but sometimes if you have a long recording with lots of padding, or don't watch to the end, it doesn't get set correctly. There is still room for improvement in this area. But there are also methods to improve how MC does this yourself. Glynor, one of the more prolific and knowledgeable user on the forum, wrote up how he improved the watched flag on his system.

So, get searching, reading, working out what you want to achieve, and if you can't work out how to do it yourself, come back and ask. A bunch of people around here like a challenge!

PS: If you do come back to ask, it is a good idea to start a new thread with an appropriate title, rather than ask new questions that bare no relationship to the title of this thread. Otherwise interested users may skip over your thread, or miss your post entirely.
Pages: [1]   Go Up