INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amazing! Wow!  (Read 4945 times)

AJ

• Recent member
  • Music to my ears
Amazing! Wow!
« on: July 29, 2003, 12:10:53 pm »

I would just like to congratulate you on a wonderful program.  I have 10,000 MP3 that I have Genre, Yeared, and rated.  I can count 10 times when I have tried to achieve something and didn't imagine that this has been thought of by the creators when it has!  You have thought of everything and created a thing of beauty.  MC is a joy to use and completes my life!  I know there is nothing like this as I've tried every jukebox going, MC is on another level completely.  Thank You!! ;D

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Amazing! Wow!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2003, 01:24:29 pm »

don't you think Media Center 9 is too complex?

How long have you been using MJ8/MC9?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

nila

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2003, 03:37:15 pm »

Oi King - I thought I'd told u about this before - no deliberate trouble making!!!

lol - are u stiring again?  ;D

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2003, 03:38:50 pm »

It's Like Stew.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

nila

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2003, 03:57:17 pm »

lol - it just NEEDS to be stirred huh!! :)
U should make a big pot of stew instead - keep you out of trouble  ;D

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2003, 06:57:27 pm »

I would just like to congratulate you on a wonderful program.  I have 10,000 MP3 that I have Genre, Yeared, and rated.  I can count 10 times when I have tried to achieve something and didn't imagine that this has been thought of by the creators when it has!  You have thought of everything and created a thing of beauty.  MC is a joy to use and completes my life!  I know there is nothing like this as I've tried every jukebox going, MC is on another level completely.  Thank You!! ;D

Thanks very much for taking time to post this.  Usually posts like this are followed by "but there's one thing that would make it perfect." and you didn't do that.  Thank you.

gkerber

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2003, 07:17:21 pm »

Jim, you sound as if the development team feels beat up lately by us 'users'.  Please don't feel that way.  If we were not impressed all to hell with MC and the response we get in this forum, we would not be here. So the fact that we are here, means we feel we ARE listened to.

Sometimes we write stuff and we FEEL like we are ignored.  And then a new build comes out that quitely says
11. NEW: Mouse wheel now works with a window without the need to set the focus to it first.

To the best of my knowledge, I've never seen anyone from MC ever say anything about our repeated requests for that, but sure enough, it's been changed for us.  There are many examples of that too.

Anyway, I like many others can personally feel like we had valuable input to how MC works, some items are done, others things are not and other things we suggest are just not good ideas. We discuss them.

I sometimes get frustrated at posting things and feeling like nobody at MC reads them or discusses them, but I see now that many ideas are quietly being worked on.

MC is cool, no doubt about that, keep up the good work.

phelt

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2003, 11:40:56 pm »

Just as forum fatigue must from time to time set in at J River, users can get nervous about direction or perceived lack of progress. To make it worse, the measure of progress differs radically depending on each user's issues or wishes. But if I didn't have a measure of faith in MC and the J River crew I certainly wouldn't take the time to post, opine or argue.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2003, 08:34:50 am »

Jim, you sound as if the development team feels beat up lately by us 'users'.

yes I agree and noticed it also.

Not sure why, but it seems like this has been the attitude for the last 2 months.

MC9 seems to work really well better than the others with more options.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

AJ

• Recent member
  • Music to my ears
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2003, 10:20:26 am »

Okay....just when you thought it was safe!!  I've had a few problems recently!  

1.  Used MC to move files around hard drive, 'believe I lost 600 MP3's but can't prove it!!  It's sitting at the back of my mind like a burrowing squirel.

2.  I've been reading posts and two things I cant find more info on....Super tagging etc..... and Panes......keep hearing things but don't know what they are etc.....

3.  Why things MP3's appear as 'multi artists' how can I select all of these so I can get rid of the part in the tag( where is it in the tag) what is it!!!!???

4.  Smart lists......still not been able to use them and not sure what the differnce is between them and how I have organised the 'media libary' with folders etc.....

5.  When I update I get warnings gallore but doesnt effect running of MC

6.  MC shuts off with a Visual basic warning few times a day.

7.  Kingsparta - have downloaded your plug in but it doesn't work with my MC...says I'm missing a file or something

Appretiate all a bit vague but I'd appreciate and views!!

Cheers guys keep up the good work.

Influxor

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2003, 10:59:18 am »

lol  luv this proggie...  
am i the only one who hasnt had any errors/issues?  lol i'm up to 12,843 files (ogg/mp3/wma) in my collection now and have used MC9 agressively now on most functions... never had a prob yet.

btw, i tried windows media center  once to catalog my files and it can only "see" just over half of them..  mc9 sees every single one as far as i can tell.

-aj i never lost any files yet, so i dunno.
-aj- multiple artists as far as i can tell appear on any album that you have different artists in the tag, but the same album also in those tags.  it's all how you got em tagged in the standard tag fields.
-update..update what?  mc9 updates are announced on this site, so i would check here for them.
-never seen the visual basic warnings..

sorry couldnt offer any more help ;)
cheers!

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2003, 11:00:41 am »

'believe I lost 600 MP3's but can't prove it!!

reimport

there is or was a bug that would drop the files out of the file listing.

the last time i checked the bug was still there and has been in MJ/MC since MJ7

normaly you will not see this unless you have more than one file with the same file name that conflict when moving files.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2003, 11:03:42 am »

Chimp...

I LOVE that ASCII skin! Is it WIP or complete? Please provide a link.

10-27

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2003, 11:13:02 am »

reminds me of A DOS BBS back in the 80's
Fayetteville, NC, USA

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2003, 01:33:21 pm »

4.  Smart lists......still not been able to use them and not sure what the differnce is between them and how I have organised the 'media libary' with folders etc.....

Smartlists are not an organisation tool, more of a way of accessing library items.

It probably depends on how you like to listen to your music. Playlists are fixed lists of specific library items which you can build. They will never change. If you like constructing carefully plotted evenings of music this way then they are the way to go.

Smartlists are more like filters - they are not lists of library items, but rules for selecting items in the library. For example, add a new smartlist (in the tree) and type [Artist]=Zwan in the search bar. This will add all your Zwan songs into the smartlist. When Zwan release a new album and you rip it, that album will automatically be included in the smartlist (Obviously susbstitue Zwan for the artist of your choosing). Sounds simple, but you have immense power over the filters you can apply. The down arrow in the search bar will give you lists of the properties you can filter on, and provide an easy interface for building the filter. One good example is [numberplays], which you could use to listen to songs you havent listened to often. Take a look at the preset autosmartlists which give you examples. Of course you can use the search bar to filter the library without creating a smartlist - 'Tonight I want to listen to songs from the 60s that I havent listened to recently'. And they work with photo/video tags too.

Hope that makes sense. I guess it depends on your personal preferences. I dont have any playlists, and use the search bar/smartlists exclusively.

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2003, 02:58:55 pm »

AJ,

If
 Media Library == "Database"
Then
 Smartlist == "Query"

Smartlists are just playlists that are criteria-based.  When your data (songs) change in some way that makes them match the criteria in your smartlist, they'll appear in your smartlist.  If something happens that makes them no longer meet the criteria, they won't appear in the smartlist.

That makes 'em GREAT for synching to an iPod!

Now all we need is an easy way to make forms, reports and macros and us Access wannabes will be in hog heaven!  :)
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

Soundman

• World Citizen
  • Go Music!
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2003, 10:08:52 pm »

Hi, AJ, et. al.

Actually, Smartlist is the feature that attacted me to Media Jukebox, then Media Center.  I was tired of manually updating static .m3u playlists in WinAmp every time I got new music.  Now, I set up a few rules, and away we go.

My rules tend to be stuff like "All songs that I have rated high and are Celtic or Big Band, but exclude songs that feature Bagpipes" Because my wife dislikes bagpipes!

I think more about properties of the music than album / artist.

I primarily use ordinary playlists as boolean properties, so that I check all that apply to a given song based on what instruments it features, and whether it has syncopation, etc.

Of course, you can use a view scheme as a smartlist now, since the view scheme has a filter on it.  I guess that duplicates function a bit.  Perhaps a smartlist can be viewed as a flat, single-level view scheme?

Soundman

AJ

• Recent member
  • Music to my ears
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2003, 09:19:18 am »

Okay thanks for the replies guys.......

Firstly I'd like to say that I've used MC (formly MJ) since version 6 so I'm not the 'novice' I may appear!  I love exploring all the features that allow me to make the most of my music.

Pensive Chimp - Thanks very much for the lovely diagram that's what I thought the panes must be!  Can't really find any particular use for them?  One of the displays the album cover in 'playing now' which is nice......must have a play around with this!!

Multi artists- this is a problem I have (I have more time right now to make myself understood!).....I organise all my music through folders and filters under media libary..under some of the catogries where all the artists are listed in the tree(!) one of the artists is listed as 'multi artist' - this is frustrating as they are left out of the tree where they should be!!  I understand that they are perhaps artists who's album is the same as another artist?...if this is the case is there a way I can search for all the tracks that might appear under 'multi artist' field?

'Smart lists' - I think I have established that they don't offer any additions to me - thanks!  Although presumably there are queries that you can run with phrase that dont appear in the wizzard, perhaps a full list of commands could be made available?

Update warnings - please ignore this!  Next time I run an update and I have something to update I will see the warning and make a note of it!  But parts of the install relating to the plugins fail.

King Sparta - this is probably why your plugin doesn't work either......God I'm soooo clever!!! ;D

Again I have made a resolution to make a not of warnings I'm a bit trigger happy I'm afraid!!

Super tagging link - I found the same link in the instructions but it doesn't open anything.......

Missing files - they're out there but where!!!?...Okay Kingsparta I will wipe my libary and reimport providing someone guarentees me this wont lead to further problems!!!?!! ;)  There is a chance that because I was placing files together that had not been together before that there may be duplicate file names in the same place.  What effect does this have?

I want to rename files from the properties what does the directories and base path option do? sorry being a bit thick!  with directory ticked it trys to update all my files, so what is it doing to them ? moving them? without the directory ticked it trys to update less a more realistic figure......so what's up?

And last question!!!..........Now that I have genre, yeared and rated all my tracks (10,000)  I'm still not happy what should I do next?  I'm thinking mood...but I'd like to distinguish tracks that are well known and those on albums....joy!

Laters

AJ

keyvan

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2003, 10:23:54 am »

I found that if I clear my library and re-import the media, I loose the association between the albums and cover art. Had to link images to albums "manually".
The main reason for the reimport being to look for those "missing files".

I am now afraid to try this again, it is a real pain with 700+ cd's.
Also the quickfind in file\ cover art directory does not work (it's probably due to somthing I am missing).
Is there a way to keep the associations album art to the album? How are they saved in the library? Is it just a straight path to the .jpg location?

Keyvan R
Pages: [1]   Go Up