INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request: Turn on macros  (Read 2153 times)

jachin99

• Citizen of the Universe
Feature request: Turn on macros
« on: April 29, 2016, 11:01:54 am »

I've kind of talked about this before, and most conversations have ended with recommendations to use external programs like event ghost.  While event ghost is great, and I use it and auto hotkey for a few different things, so far it hasn't been able to solve all of my problems.  Simple IR macros that are context based within jriver would make it much easier for my pc to do things like turn on my TV, and Stereo when JRiver starts, or my PC wakes, or change surround modes on my receiver based on the kind of media I want to play.  I have gone the route of event ghost, and I have nothing but problems getting EG to learn IR blasts.  Combine this with how new Windows 10 is, and I don't think it is hard to see where there is a potential for quite a few problems to arise. 

Another reason to enable macros in JRiver has to do with 10 ft. interfaces.  When using one remote, there are only so many buttons I can assign to different functions.  While trying to keep all remote functionality dedicated to jriver, I run out of buttons.  Example:

I have my green button programed to act as the start key, and the power on key is mapped to the "*" key.  This means I have to juggle my remote in order to turn on my TV, and reach the guide, or channel up button.
Another solution might be to add context to button presses themselves so for example, I hold down my green button for two seconds, it sends power on blasts to external devices.  Once everything is powered on, I can press the green button regularly to bring up my start menu.  Some browsers have mouse gesture support, and I don't expect this but might be something to consider.  Touch screen devices look really nice but they have to be constantly plugged in.  I have a tablet on my coffee table in my living room that I have attempted to use as a remote but my family hates dealing with it because it dies.  There is not easy way to install a power chord on my glass coffee table so that isn't an option either. 

CountryBumkin

Re: Feature request: Turn on macros
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 12:13:17 pm »

What kind of remote are you using? I use the Harmony Remote. It will turn on the TV, the AVR, and computer (although I usually leave the computer on). You can program the same button to do three different functions. http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-elite?crid=60

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 12:20:01 pm »

Just my opinion but...

Everything you're asking for are features of modern programmable remotes.  Macros, more buttons, the ability to control more than one device from a single remote, etc.  I sort of hate the Harmony stuff, but that's just personal preference.  You could do a lot worse than Harmony.  It would probably solve all of your issues and desires.

Brian.

jachin99

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 01:52:50 pm »

My biggest complaint about most of whats out there is the lack of a mouse function and price.  What i would like out of jriver is system event generated ir blasts.  I use an mce remote with a built in air mouse.  Im only looking to use one remote.  The mouse functionality lets me browse the computer without needing a keyboard.  A mouse and keyboard are fine for only me but if i added a jrmc pc to each room then it would start getting expensive.  Especially with 350.00 logitech remote
Pages: [1]   Go Up