INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Analysis Not Updating New TV Recordings  (Read 4238 times)

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
Audio Analysis Not Updating New TV Recordings
« on: April 29, 2016, 09:25:59 pm »

Audio analysis is not being done after recording new TV programs even 48 hours after the recording.    I have the analysis flag set in import tasks for the tv recording folder but it is not being run.   Audio analysis does run when I run auto import manually, though.   

I am having lots of problems with TV recording/viewing (see my posts on "viewing while recording", "EPG not updating" and now audio analysis.    I am running a client/server setup and I wonder if I have the client set up properly vis-a-vis the server.       

[using MC 21.0.65 on client and server; media on a MAC ZFS NAS so no file events service running]

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Audio Analysis Not Updating New TV Recordings
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 05:04:28 am »

I find that it takes up to 48 hours after a TV show is recorded for the audio analysis to start. I have two Shows that recorded last night (at 11PM and 11:30PM). I'll keep watch on these and report back when they are analyzed. I've mentioned this delay before, but eventually they do get analyzed so its not a problem for me.

BTW, the "Reporter" tool says my audio and video files are 100% analyzed, so at this time (6AM) JRiver is not aware that these two shows need to be analyzed.

UPDATE: It's 6PM now and those two files (TV Shows) are still not analyzed. I'll bet they will be by 11PM (but I won't be awake to verify so I'll post back on this tomorrow).

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 07:06:30 am »

I think there is an excessively long delay between the time a TV recording ends (is saved) and the "auto audio analysis" occurs. I've been watching a couple of TV Shows recordings on one of my computers that occurred 3 days ago and they still have not been analyzed.

On my Server computer, the recordings are saved in the default TV Recording folder (which I do not have setup to be "watched"). Eventually they get analyzed, and they are included in my "Shows" view as soon as they are recorded, so JRiver is monitoring the folder, its just not analyzing the files as quickly as I would have expected.

On my Laptop computer, the recordings are also saved in the default JRiver TV Recordings folder (which is not setup to be watched) however they seem to get analyzed faster (like within 24 hours).

What is the programming intent/design regarding how often these files should be analyzed after a file is saved? Is JRiver waiting for the computer's activity to completely stop before it starts analyzing (maybe I have a system operation running in the background or such).

I record to TS format.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 12:50:59 pm »

TV recordings are automatically imported at the moment recording is started, and updated at the moment recording ends.  It has nothing to do with whether or when the folder is watched for analysis.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 08:30:51 pm »

TV recordings are automatically imported at the moment recording is started, and updated at the moment recording ends.  It has nothing to do with whether or when the folder is watched for analysis.

I concluded that is what was happening some time back. Importing (and updating) of recorded TV shows at the time of recording, and Auto-Import with its settings, are completely different functions. Which means that the Auto-Import functions aren't run at the end of the recording, at the moment recording finishes. Which means;

• Audio Analysis isn't done when a recording finishes, which would be the earliest time it could be done. So if I watch recently recorded programs, I tend to get volume issues. I expect to get volume issues if I watch a program while it is being recorded, but not if I watch it after it has finished and had time to be analysed, which is only minutes.

• "Get Movie & TV Info..." isn't run when a recording finishes, or if it is, it is set to not overwrite any tags with existing data. This is a good default, as it means that the data from the EPG is retained. Overwriting tags from the EPG with values from TheTVDB would be fraught with issues if the EPG didn't correctly identify the program Series, Season, and Episode correctly. But it is a little strange to me that the only time I see an option to overwrite existing values in tags is when I select multiple video files, then run "Get Movie & TV Info..." manually. Well, I guess I get the option when running the function against individual files as well, via the "Use image" and "Use information" checkboxes.
    I would like "Get Movie & TV Info..." to be run at the end of a recording, and all empty tags to be updated from TheTVDB, including Episode Cover Art. I don't believe that happens at the moment.

• As a consequence of the above, Thumbnails are built without having Episode Cover Art already downloaded. So MC takes a video frame and adds that as the Thumbnail image. That frame grab is often from the commercials run before the program, so I get very weird and annoying Thumbnails. Then if "Get Movie & TV Info..." is automatically run later, and it is set to not overwrite existing tags, including the Thumbnail image it seems, I get stuck with the frame grab as a Thumbnail until I manual run "Get Movie & TV Info...". These programs have no value in the [Image File] tag, so if the "Get Movie & TV Info..." grabbed the Episode Cover Art and wrote that tag, the Thumbnail build process should update the Thumbnail. That doesn't happen, until I manually run "Get Movie & TV Info...". I don't know if the sequence of settings in the Auto-Import configuration dialogue implies anything about the sequence the processes are run, but I would expect the Thumbnail build process to run after the "Get Cover Art" and "Get Movie & TV Info..." processes, so that the correct images are used to build Thumbnails. While there does seem to be some issues with Thumbnails being updated on MC Client PCs, as the local Thumbnail database isn't always being updated correctly, I see the above issues on my HTPC which is the MC Server.

• Series and Season Cover Art are not collected when an episode from a new season is recorded. This should happen, for example, if I had all of Season 1 recorded, and then recorded the first episode of Season 2. Currently, as evidenced by several threads, Series and Season Cover Art is collected "at some time after the recording", or not at all, until a manual collection is done. I do tend to manually change the Series and Season Cover Art to my preferred images, so that each Season matches, but I think MC should have a go to get the Cover Art immediately after a new Series or Season is recorded.

I think all of the above issues could be fixed if Auto-Import was run for the recording folder when each recording is completed, and it used the Auto-Import settings to do so. There would probably need to be an option in the "Get Movie & TV Info..." function in Auto-Import to overwrite all tags, with the default being to just fill empty tags. That would be a new option in the Auto-Import configuration dialogue. Certainly the Episode Cover Art should be collected, and Thumbnails should be built after that is done.

If the current process relies on Auto-Import detecting the new files, or changes in files, that isn't working, as once a program recording is complete, and the program is imported into MC, most program files won't change at all. So they will never trigger the Auto-Import processes for them. A user would need to create a change in the file, for example by running the "Get Movie & TV Info..." function, to trigger Auto-Import to run audio analysis and collect Series and Season Cover Art.

If I am wrong on the above, please do tell us how it works Yaobing, with respect to "Getting (Series and Season) Cover Art", "Getting Movie & TV Info..." including Episode Cover Art, and "Building Thumbnails".

Sorry for the wall of text, and thanks for reading the above.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 06:57:42 am »

I think all of the above issues could be fixed if Auto-Import was run for the recording folder when each recording is completed, and it used the Auto-Import settings to do so. There would probably need to be an option in the "Get Movie & TV Info..." function in Auto-Import to overwrite all tags, with the default being to just fill empty tags. That would be a new option in the Auto-Import configuration dialogue. Certainly the Episode Cover Art should be collected, and Thumbnails should be built after that is done.

If the current process relies on Auto-Import detecting the new files, or changes in files, that isn't working, as once a program recording is complete, and the program is imported into MC, most program files won't change at all. So they will never trigger the Auto-Import processes for them. A user would need to create a change in the file, for example by running the "Get Movie & TV Info..." function, to trigger Auto-Import to run audio analysis and collect Series and Season Cover Art.

+1
This would be a nice feature improvement.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 09:15:32 am »

+1
This would be a nice feature improvement.

Yes, this should be done.  Right now I have to manually run auto-import (it is nice I can doit from JRemote) and wait 10-15 minutes while it scans the entire media library and analyzes the new files.    I think this is a major impediment to the ease of use of the TV module in MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up