INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Restrict access to content without requiring multiple users  (Read 2414 times)

Agent86

• Recent member
Restrict access to content without requiring multiple users
« on: April 30, 2016, 05:38:49 pm »

Is it possible to set and require a password in order to:
1. Restrict playing a movie (even if it appears on the selection screen). E.g. if you click "Play" on a restricted movie, a password prompt appears.
2. Restrict movies even appearing in the selection screen. e.g. Require a password to see all movies, otherwise you see only non-restricted movies.

I would rather do this without setting up multiple users, if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Ekpen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Restrict access to content without requiring multiple users
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 05:50:19 pm »

Is it possible to set and require a password in order to:
1. Restrict playing a movie (even if it appears on the selection screen). E.g. if you click "Play" on a restricted movie, a password prompt appears.
2. Restrict movies even appearing in the selection screen. e.g. Require a password to see all movies, otherwise you see on non-restricted movies.

I would rather do this without setting up multiple users, if possible.

Thanks in advance.

+1
George

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 06:01:56 pm »

2 can be done easily with custom rules for view schemes, even if you have to set up a custom field:  [To show?], for example. You then just tag "No" to the restricted movies and in your view schemes, exclude those that have a No for [To show?]. Or tag "Yes" to non-restricted movies and only show those.

Agent86

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 09:11:40 pm »

Thanks for this but doesn't this only solve part of 2.? If I tag some movies as "No Show", how do I then show them all easily? Also can I password protect a custom view without having to set up individual users?

I am very familiar with having a master password to show movies over a certain rating in MyMovies. That is what I am trying to replicate here, or something similar. Without having to set up and maintain multiple users.

Thanks for your advice to date.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 12:25:25 am »

Thanks for this but doesn't this only solve part of 2.? If I tag some movies as "No Show", how do I then show them all easily? Also can I password protect a custom view without having to set up individual users?

I am very familiar with having a master password to show movies over a certain rating in MyMovies. That is what I am trying to replicate here, or something similar. Without having to set up and maintain multiple users.

Thanks for your advice to date.

You can create another view that has the no-show ones, but I guess that makes them accessible to anyone who knows what they're doing. What you want can actually be done by creating just one (or maybe two) user(s) and assigning a password to the super user/administrator. But you don't want to use "multiple users". The regular user only sees the "show" stuff, and the super user sees everything. In order to see everything you have to enter the password. You can tag the hidden files as belonging to the super user, or the other way around, and you can do that tagging step all in one go. It really is easy to set up, and I have done it, although I don't remember all the details off-hand.

Agent86

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 01:10:59 am »

Thanks for this. However I would rather stick with a single user. Is there any way to restrict playing certain movies with a password, even if they show in the cover view.

This is the behaviour I would like.

Thanks.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 09:19:26 am »

What's your aversion to multiple users?  You would only need two of them:  Full access user and restricted user.  Seems easy to me.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up