INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible Bug: Loading Cover Art while playing  (Read 2586 times)

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
Possible Bug: Loading Cover Art while playing
« on: May 03, 2016, 11:27:20 am »

This has happened several times to me, on different machines and different versions. What I haven't done is check to see if it happens everytime.

I'll be listening to music played back on my computer. FLAC files are located on a NAS. I'll be browsing my library and notice some missing cover art, and look to grab it from a file (which would be on the same NAS).

The music will pretty quickly commence stuttering and MC will crash.

I can see that perhaps accessing the NAS to look for cover art, while playing back from the NAS might be problematic, it would be better not to crash (perhaps delay opening the cover art directory, popup a message that the action is not supported during playback)?

I'm on the latest stable version of MC, running on Win 10-64, all latest updates applied, but like I said, this has happened on different machines and different MC versions (even 20 if I recall correctly.)

Thanks.

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Possible Bug: Loading Cover Art while playing
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 12:26:01 pm »

I'll be listening to music played back on my computer. FLAC files are located on a NAS. I'll be browsing my library and notice some missing cover art, and look to grab it from a file (which would be on the same NAS). The music will pretty quickly commence stuttering and MC will crash.

I get a variant of this - with no crash...but.....all our music is on the NAS (Windows Server 2012 R2) and I will set an album playing. Then I will specifically go to look for albums that need a cover art upgrade (I am in the process of moving all my art to 1000x1000).

When I find a suitable album for upgrade - I will simply Choose Add From File and navigate to the new art. Select it and then MC does it's thing - grinding away to replace the existing 500x500 with the new file. But when it does that - I get severely pops, gaps and glitches on the track that is playing.

I first thought it was an issue with the way my machine is setup - my network card sharing IRQ resources with the USB port that my DAC (Teac UD-501) is connected to (and playing thru via MC). I figured the network traffic on the LAN card was causing interrupts on the USB lane - which in turn caused the pops/glitches in MC.

But this weekend - I spent a good hour moving the LAN card around to different slots - looking for a location where the LAN card has an exclusive IRQ assignment. I found one and figured my troubles were over - but no.

Fired up MC, did the above (Start album playing and then switch out some art during play) - MC does the same thing - it cannot update the art on tracks on the server AND play the current FLAC album smoothly. I have tried all manners of playback from memory playback to play from disk. No option combo I have found yet will allow me to play one album and switch (embed) art on another without some sort of glitching going on.

Would love to figure out what the deal is.

PS: There is no antivirus on our server and the entire MC folder structure is on the Exclude list on my workstation. Another odd thing - V20 and prior - did not exhibit this behavior. And I ran those on the same hardware.

VP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 12:26:23 pm »

That could be an antivirus problem.  It also could be a NAS firmware problem.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 12:33:17 pm »

All the directories, etc. are exempt from the AV software.

Sadly, the NAS manufacturer has End-of-Lifed my NAS, so no more firmware updates.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 12:40:21 pm »

Sadly, the NAS manufacturer has End-of-Lifed my NAS, so no more firmware updates.

Our "NAS" was custom built just two weeks ago with 2016 enterprise ready hardware and 16TB of enterprise NAS drives. MC is the only application (so far) to expose any kind of inability to "keep up" with the source material on the server.

That said - I continue to troubleshoot this as a network/USB issue for now - as I can only reproduce when MC is playing a file from the server and I attempt to change art while it's playing. If I change art while playing a local file - MC seems to handle that just fine.

I continue to be baffled on why - when I choose to use the option "play from memory" that MC still glitches when changing art at the same time. You would think any source material already in memory would be glitch free - but this does not seem to be the case.

VP

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 12:50:24 pm »

I also have Play from memory set, and now that I think about it:

I have listened to Hi-Res Music while writing to the NAS, and done similar while watching videos, and those are more sustained activities than opening an explorer window into a NAS directory.

I don't even select a file for cover art, it is simply opening an Explorer window.

But, as I think about it some more, these activities should not make MC crash. At worst, the NAS would have slow response, but it isn't the window opens quickly and then the crash.

I don't see how the NAS would make MC crash.

DJLegba

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 01:54:13 pm »

Do you have the enhanced tag editor enabled? This may be irrelevant, but with 21.0.50 I noticed that using the enhanced tag editor when playing DSD files would frequently cause MC to crash. I haven't tested this with 21.0.76 yet, as I've gone back to the old tag editor. I realize you're attempting to load cover art, which doesn't invoke the tag editor directly, but it would be interesting if there turned out to be a link.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 01:58:32 pm »

Thanks for the reply. I'm not using the enhanced tag editor, though. :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up