INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie can't get BluRays to play on DNLA devices  (Read 6227 times)

captainkurt

• Recent member
Newbie can't get BluRays to play on DNLA devices
« on: April 27, 2016, 11:01:57 am »

I Ripped Swan Queen and Furious 7 using AnyDVD and CloneBD. Both play on Android phone using Gizmo and on PC running MC (no sound on Furious 7?). My Panasonic Viera TV, Roku, Integra BluRay player all see the movies via the network (Ethernet connected and using their remotes and Media Players) but say the file is unreadable or unsupported. I ripped full copies.

What am I doing wrong? And what's with no sound on the PC for Furious 7?

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Newbie can't get BluRays to play on DNLA devices
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 11:09:26 am »

What format did you rip to? That TV supports MKV format - perhaps try ripping to MKV and see if that takes care of it. I have CloneBD too, but its still a little flaky so I generally just use the mkv software to rip.
www.makeMKV.com

captainkurt

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 11:59:23 am »

Maybe I didn't rip. I thought making a clone file of the disc would make the movie and all its features it available for MC to transcode to whatever device was trying to access it. This seemed to work for the Samsung phone playing the movie.

I want to archive my cd/dvd/bd collection to NAS and be able to play it on any device that may come along. With a clone copy of the disc (.iso file?) saved there should be a way to do this.

TVs and DNLA devices come and go. Optical disks are inconvenient. With internet streaming, quality and cost is at the mercy of the provider and Comcast. Why is storing my disc files and playing them so much to ask and so hard to execute?

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 07:33:33 pm »

I want to archive my cd/dvd/bd collection to NAS and be able to play it on any device that may come along. With a clone copy of the disc (.iso file?) saved there should be a way to do this.

TVs and DNLA devices come and go. Optical disks are inconvenient. With internet streaming, quality and cost is at the mercy of the provider and Comcast. Why is storing my disc files and playing them so much to ask and so hard to execute?

The flaw in your logic is the "clone" and "iso" part.  What you want to archive, in order to have a high level of interoperatbility, is a format that many devices can play.  ISOs are really terrible for compatibility.  What you really want is MKV or something similar that strips the encryption, yet keeps the quality, and the audio/subtitle streams that you want to preserve.  MC handles MKVs quite well.  The fact that there is a free program (MakeMKV) for creating them really makes the decision easy.

Brian.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 08:07:15 pm »

Why is storing my disc files and playing them so much to ask and so hard to execute?
It's not a lot to ask and it's quite easy to execute? JRiver handles dvd and bluray rips better than any other software.

Just rip to harddisk folder with anydvd. If you already have iso's you can simply extract/unzip them with archiving software like Winrar. Or just mount the image and rip it to hardisk folder.

Or like others have suggested use make mkv. If you are ripping any tv shows, makemkv will probably be easier in the long run because you can split episodes into individual files.

captainkurt

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 08:53:48 pm »

OK, I found (on my own) the Tools>Options>Media Network>Add or Configure DNLA Servers>Command>Add>Generic DNLA...
and added and more server configurations. I can now get the CloneBD and MKV files (yes, I downloaded and am trying this program too) to play (sort of) on the Viera and Integra but not on Roku. There must be list somewhere for the best configuration for specific DNLA devices. Trial and error is not cool especially since I don't know MPEG from H264. All I know is I want fullest res for the device I am playing on.

The Samsung as remote with JRemote is terrible and so are the device specific remotes (no chapter skip or FFW/RW). How does one best remote control videos on JRiver? I envisioned using the phone or an iPad showing, searching and sorting via GUI all my media and telling my TV, my HT (via BluRay player or Roku), my phone/tablet what to play.

Please advise.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 12:31:02 pm »

I envisioned using the phone or an iPad showing, searching and sorting via GUI all my media and telling my TV, my HT (via BluRay player or Roku), my phone/tablet what to play.
That is how it works.

You need to have your media properly tagged if you want it to show up correctly. Note that Media Centre can scrape for metadata.
If the default JRemote views don't work for you, you can customize them in tools/options/media network/advanced/customize views for jremote.

I don't have a Roku or Blu-ray player so I'm no help there. Try searching.
The Roku has a Media Player app that you can use to access the JRiver Media Center Server. Just be sure to have JRiver's Media Server running on the PC that has the content you wish to access, launch the Roku Media Player app, and select the DLNA server related to JRiver Media Center.

captainkurt

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 01:03:00 pm »

I installed the $10 JRemote app from GooglePlay for my Samsung hoping it would work better than the free Gizmo app. I still can't get the FF/RW to work. The slider on the phone or screen display shows a different time but all that ever happens either with JRemote, Gizmo or the device remote is the movie starts over. I now know that the skip buttons go to the next movie.

Does this have something to do with the way the file is saved? MC configuration?

The Roku Media Player sees the movie files with posters just fine but will not play them. What should the MC DNLA server configuration be for Roku MP?

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 04:42:38 pm »

I'm afraid what you are experiencing is typical DLNA playback issues on different devices. Seeking forwards and backwards through videos is very hit and miss and is dependant on the playback device. I have spent many hours trying to get reliable and consistant DLNA playback complete with FF/REW on various smart TV's and other devices and have pretty much given up.

I would concur with the other opinions here that the best format to rip to is mkv using 'MakeMKV'. I have always found this to be the most compatible format and have not had any issues apart from the DLNA ones mentioned above.

captainkurt

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 10:53:21 am »

If chapter select or skip is not available (in any way) then NAS storage of movies is not viable for me.

Has anyone gotten skip chapter to work any server software with any rip on any DNLA playback device?

How about the movie menu screen>chapter>select?

Please advise.

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 11:17:06 am »

If chapter select or skip is not available (in any way) then NAS storage of movies is not viable for me.

Has anyone gotten skip chapter to work any server software with any rip on any DNLA playback device?

Please advise.
Yes, it can work but what I was trying to point out is that it isn't guaranteed to work. For instance I have 3 Samsung smart TV's in the house which all have very good DLNA playback qualities where FF/REW and seeking work well. On the other hand I also have an LG smart TV and an older Panasonic Viera TV which will playback over DLNA fine but won't FF/REW or seek at all and if you even try to the video will start over from the beginning.

With the samsung TV's I can use JRemote to control the playback and then use the progress bar in JRemote to skip to any point in the movie which works really well (This is with DVD's and Blu-Rays ripped to mkv format). However, as I said, this does not work on the LG or Panasonic TV's and I have not found any DLNA settings in JRiver that will allow it on these TV's.

So, as I said before, DLNA is not consistant between different devices.

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 09:29:53 am »

NAS has nothing to do with using a DLNA renderer. 

As for full video functionality, MC works as a very good and sophisticated video renderer.  It has all of the features and functions you are asking for.  All it requires is a PC hooked up as a renderer running MC.  One MC license allows you to have MC running on several machines in your household, so there's no extra software cost.

I *think* even a JRiver ID can do this, but I have no direct experience with it.  I do know that the ID was conceived as an inexpensive renderer, designed to be used in your AV rack with your audio and/or video equipment.  You could even run it in Theater View and get that nice big interface on your TV screen to select video, audio, etc.

Brian.

captainkurt

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 02:47:27 pm »

I should have said: If I can't playback my stored movie files on DNLA devices with full optical disk functionality and up to full resolution then I will just have to stick with the disks until you guys figure this out. I am obviously not the only one who can't FF/REW or skip. My goal is not use a PC to play my media.

I will see if I can get a QNAP NAS and various software and remotes to work with my TV, theater and legacy whole house stereo:

QNAP NAS    TVS-471 (basically a Linux PC with optional HDMI out, keyboard and mouse).
Schiit Audio USB DAC    Modi2 Uber
Panasonic Viera TV    60"
OPPO BluRay Player     BD-103 connected thru an Integra AV receiver to a JVC DLIA projector

The audio (FLAC & mp3) files should work fine if I can get the USB DAC to work.

Wish me luck with the video...

blgentry

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 03:54:31 pm »

My goal is not use a PC to play my media.

As far as I can tell then, you're probably not going to get what you want.  Because you've tried DLNA with your equipment and it doesn't provide all the features you want. This is one of the problems with DLNA:  It doesn't support everything in a standardized way.  Not all DNLA renderers do everything.  MC, as a DLNA renderer, or library client, does everything you want.

I will see if I can get a QNAP NAS and various software and remotes to work with my TV, theater and legacy whole house stereo:

QNAP NAS    TVS-471 (basically a Linux PC with optional HDMI out, keyboard and mouse).
Schiit Audio USB DAC    Modi2 Uber
Panasonic Viera TV    60"
OPPO BluRay Player     BD-103 connected thru an Integra AV receiver to a JVC DLIA projector

The audio (FLAC & mp3) files should work fine if I can get the USB DAC to work.

You're going to try to use the USB DAC with what?  Not the QNAP I hope?

What's your aversion to using a computer for playback?  MC is a computer program.

Brian.

captainkurt

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 10:17:37 pm »

I will try running the QNAP as my media computer (hopefully controlled by android phone or ipad app): https://www.qnap.com/i/useng/tutorial/con_show.php?op=showone&cid=196

From the Modi2 people:
It should work, you may want to confirm with QNap that USB Audio Class 2 device will work with their NAS.

Nick T
Schiit Tech

tech@schiit.com

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 06:45:19 am »

Nick,
I sent you a Master License for testing.  It may not yet work on the QNAP.

I'm jimh at jriver if you need anything.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up