INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: duplicate entries (true duplicate)/empty filenames  (Read 3808 times)

bmunroe

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Where ever you go, there you are
duplicate entries (true duplicate)/empty filenames
« on: May 01, 2016, 10:30:24 am »

Two issues in my library -

1) I have duplicate entries of the same file.  Not a duplicate file, but the same file appearing twice in the library.  How does that happen and how do I fix it?
2) I have entries in my library that do not have a filename.  They appear to be duplicates of an entry with a filename.  Running the "missing files" smartlst just goes to an empty playlist that says "Working" on it forever.  Or at least a very long time.  How do I fix these entries easily?

Thanks,
Brian Munroe

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: duplicate entries (true duplicate)/empty filenames
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 09:25:29 am »

It's hard to say what happened.  If this is a recent event, I would consider restoring a library backup from a few days or weeks ago.  MC makes backups automatically.  File > Library > Restore Library .

You might have something odd going on with your auto import rules.  Just guessing.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 09:33:30 am »

Make sure you're using the stable build of MC.  It's available on the Download Page.

Smilin_Jim

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 12:14:56 pm »

My problem is close enough to the original that it may be the same one and I don't see any solutions out there, so....

I seem to have a problem with UNIX vs. WIN file path characters creating duplicate entries for many but not all of my audio files.  The attached screen capture #1 is typical.
I have cleared the library and performed a new import starting at the "Sorted" directory. Notice that the starting at the subdiirectory below the artist name, I start getting entries for forward and backslash versions of the path. 

The server is running UNIX and Screen Capture #2 shows the directory layout as seen from a Win10 machine.

Any thoughts on how to get clean imports?

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 12:29:55 pm »

Your "screen capture #1" is not attached so we can't see it.

If we could see the file paths, from the MC screen, of at least one set of duplicates, it might give us some clues.

You mention a Unix server.  I wonder if it is serving files only via windows file sharing (CIFS/SMB), or if it is using NFS or another method.  Typically a windows machine can't comprehend any kind of path that contains a slash.  I'm not sure how that would happen, so I'm just guessing.

Brian.

Smilin_Jim

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 02:12:26 pm »

Here is the first screenshot that somehow didn't go the first round.

Also, NFS and Windows File Sharing are enabled on the server.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 06:29:56 pm »

Is there an NFS client on your windows box?  I don't know how those slash path names ended up in MC.  What's super weird is that the paths in question have both slash and backslash in the same path.  That's super weird.

Do you use auto import, or did you manually import top level directory or two?

You might do a test with a new library where you import just the top level directory containing The Doors and see what you get.

Brian.

Smilin_Jim

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 07:13:04 pm »

Brian,
I have been trying different combinations to try to get you more details.

1) There is no NFS client on the local computer
2) Previously unmentioned but possibly pertinent, the library is being built on the server in a different directory but accessed as a local library. I explored this a bit and have not seen a problem if I build the library on the local machine. I used the server-based approach to try to keep as much on the server as possible.
3) Imports of just the Doors branch of the file tree seem to work fine.
4) I have tried Auto and Manual imports. Both do pretty much the same thing.
5) Most of the time, when using Auto Import creation, the directory builds correctly but seems to update later to the corrupt version that I show in the attached screen shots.  By corruption, I mean that when looking at the Audio options and choosing the "Files" category, I see a branch that correctly points to Central_Storage\Media\Music\Sorted and all the artist folders are under that.  But then I have individual branches for each of the artist directories off of the main trunk of the file tree structure.  Hence the duplicate files and paths.  See the pictures for more.
6) The only time I tried to build the entire library in a server-based test, the corruption was there right from the start.
Pages: [1]   Go Up