INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library in Id does not sync with NAS music folder.  (Read 5988 times)

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
Library in Id does not sync with NAS music folder.
« on: May 01, 2016, 10:52:52 pm »

While the initial set of files in my NAS music folder were imported when I first set up Auto-import and while I think I have made an improvement in replacing the folder for MC20 to follow and sync with by changing it from /mnt to /mnt/music, all new files added to the NAS music folder are not being synced by the Id, even if I wait an hour or two. They are being instantly synced by MC21 in my Windows laptop. The only way I can get them to sync with the Id is to either reboot the Id or do a manual Run Auto-import Now. Help!  ?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Library in Id does not sync with NAS music folder.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 12:05:17 pm »

There is a problem with the current MC updating from CIFS mounted shares (it's a limitation of mounting CIFS on linux).

This has been fixed in MC and an update will be out within the next day or two.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 04:59:34 pm »

Thank you Bob!!!  :D

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 09:06:04 pm »

Bob, when the Id syncs the library, does that involve a reboot? If it doesn't, in addition to the solution you have put in the update, how about creating a new item # called Sync Library or Reload Library so that you could manually reload the library whenever you wanted to? John at Bel Canto said he thought the automatic sync would be slower on the Id than on a Windows PC. If that is the case, this new item would allow someone to quickly hear music files they just loaded on the NAS. If library sync does require a reboot, then how about renaming item 98 "Reboot/Reload Library"

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 11:02:47 am »

The new version of MC that solves the import from CIFS filesystems is live now. You can get it with an update from the Id menu.
It uses the same logic as MC does on all platforms for unwatchable folders, it scans them once every 2 hours.

Rebooting the Id seems a bit drastic to rescan the folders. One can make it rescan by running the "auto-import now" function in MC either in GUI mode or by remote access with VPN or remote desktop.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 04:05:45 pm »

Thank you Bob! I will download the new version.

For a non-techie client, I was thinking that pressing the power button twice with the appropriate time delays would be easier than going into the Id with Remote Desktop or VPN. But I will experiment with the latter.

Please define an unwatchable folder. Using MC21 in Windows, it finds newly loaded music files on my NAS within 20 seconds after the file is loaded. To me, a non-computer-geek, that implies that the music folder on my NAS is a watchable folder. I am interested in your insight on this.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 04:18:24 pm »

Thank you Bob! I will download the new version.

For a non-techie client, I was thinking that pressing the power button twice with the appropriate time delays would be easier than going into the Id with Remote Desktop or VPN. But I will experiment with the latter.

Please define an unwatchable folder. Using MC21 in Windows, it finds newly loaded music files on my NAS within 20 seconds after the file is loaded. To me, a non-computer-geek, that implies that the music folder on my NAS is a watchable folder. I am interested in your insight on this.
Unwatchable with regards to MC running on linux is anything that doesn't work with the inotify system.

With regards to windows, it can be a share which is not available for some reason (like a mapped drive with a network access issue).

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 12:57:35 am »

Excellent news! The new MC20 Id build did pick up by this morning a file I loaded into the NAS before I went to bed last night. Thank you Bob! :D

I have a question regarding yesterday's process of updating the software with the new MediaCenter 20.0.138 build. On the Id page of the forum it says: "The Id is powered by a special version of JRiver Media Center for Linux. The device can update itself automatically." The new build had to be updated manually and I ran into problems with the reboot, which I discuss separately under the subject "Id won't reboot properly." Is a new build something more than an MC update and is that why it didn't happen automatically?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 10:09:12 am »

Excellent news! The new MC20 Id build did pick up by this morning a file I loaded into the NAS before I went to bed last night. Thank you Bob! :D

I have a question regarding yesterday's process of updating the software with the new MediaCenter 20.0.138 build. On the Id page of the forum it says: "The Id is powered by a special version of JRiver Media Center for Linux. The device can update itself automatically." The new build had to be updated manually and I ran into problems with the reboot, which I discuss separately under the subject "Id won't reboot properly." Is a new build something more than an MC update and is that why it didn't happen automatically?
Than language on that post is a bit confusing. The Id update process is triggered by running the update from the menu, the rest of the process is automatic.
There isn't any particular reason to update the Id if there aren't any issues with it.
The updates are split into 2 sections. The MC update and the general firmware update. They are both checked for during the update process. The menu page tells you the version of both.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 07:58:00 pm »

Is Remote Desktop the one associated with Chrome? I looked up the Windows version and it says it's only good for getting into other Windows cptrs. If it's the Chrome one that can get into the Linux Id, can I use it from a PC or does it have to be an Android device? Where can I find basic instructions for doing this?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 05:51:04 pm »

Is Remote Desktop the one associated with Chrome? I looked up the Windows version and it says it's only good for getting into other Windows cptrs. If it's the Chrome one that can get into the Linux Id, can I use it from a PC or does it have to be an Android device? Where can I find basic instructions for doing this?
The Id works with Remote Desktop from a windows computer. It's really simple to use. You just connect to the Id name or Id IP. The default password is remote which you can change from the Id menu.
I've used both remote dekstop and vpn from windows, linux, mac and an ipad to connect to my Id (I'm sure there is a free android remote desktop client too).

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 04:12:24 am »

Yes, it was very easy to connect to the Id using Remote Desktop. I once more tried 98-Enter to see if it would reboot, waited 10 minutes and then tried Remote Desktop again. I got error messages saying either the Id was turned off or wasn't available on the network. Being sure it had hung up again, I rebooted it with the Power button. This didn't work either. I had to power cycle the Id by pulling out the AC cord, waiting 10 seconds and putting it back in. I was then able to connect with Remote Desktop again. (I will also post this in the "Id won't reboot properly" thread for those who are following that discussion.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up