INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Id won't reboot properly  (Read 9380 times)

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
Id won't reboot properly
« on: May 01, 2016, 11:08:46 pm »

My Id won't reboot properly, either when click 98 - Enter or when I change modes from GUI to Headless Text. After seeing many lines of text running down my monitor screen, it either goes completely black or the last line says it is rebooting now, but the screen never changes to the new mode or back to the same mode unless I manually press the power button on the Id to turn it off and then press it again to turn it back on again.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Id won't reboot properly
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 12:09:25 pm »

My Id won't reboot properly, either when click 98 - Enter or when I change modes from GUI to Headless Text. After seeing many lines of text running down my monitor screen, it either goes completely black or the last line says it is rebooting now, but the screen never changes to the new mode or back to the same mode unless I manually press the power button on the Id to turn it off and then press it again to turn it back on again.
Which NUC model do you have?

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 05:31:13 pm »

Id Classic. Actually, just before reading your response I was again testing the reboot process because my Id had disappeared from my network. My IP scanner showed it as dead, even though the Id LAN port was lit up and blinking properly. JRemote couldn't connect to it. You can see the JRemote error reports at https://www.dropbox.com/s/lov5w1hc1wbikr7/IMG_0026.PNG?dl=0 and https://www.dropbox.com/s/lov5w1hc1wbikr7/IMG_0026.PNG?dl=0 . I tried rebooting twice with the power button (momentary press and holding it down for 10 seconds) and that didn't work. Today I mounted a keyboard and monitor and used 98-Enter and that seemed to work, as I was able to immediately connect JRemote to the Id. But I can’t say for sure if that was why it worked because I made the procedural mistake of not just trying to connect to it today with JRemote before trying a power button reboot, trying to connect again, and then trying 98-Enter. In any event, it is showing up as live in the IP scanner and it is playing music. For all I know it had just decided to show up again in the middle of the night and the 98-Enter did nothing. I've left it in Headless Text mode and if this happens again, I will hook up the keyboard and type 98-Enter.

From looking at my screen shots, do you have any idea why JRemote couldn't connect?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 07:07:21 pm »

First guess would be that MediaCenter died on it. However it automatically restarts so that shouldn't really be the issue.
How solid do you think your network setup is?
You could try connecting to it with VPN or remote desktop (use the Id IP address) when it seems dead. That would determine if MC is the issue or something else.
If you can't connect, next troubleshooting test is to put a monitor on it and run menu item 11 to see if it has an IP address and an active connection.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 08:58:23 pm »

Network is very solid Bob. Airport Extreme plus 2 Airport Expresses in a 2350 sq. ft. home. Sonos works well about 99% of the time (4 rooms spread throughout the house), even Olive 04HD plays without interruption, mirroring iPad to Kuro plasma works fine via AirPlay & Apple TV and no trouble web surfing. If it dies again, I will try what you suggest and let you know what happens. Can I run item 11 via Remote Desktop or VPN?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 11:05:49 am »

Network is very solid Bob. Airport Extreme plus 2 Airport Expresses in a 2350 sq. ft. home. Sonos works well about 99% of the time (4 rooms spread throughout the house), even Olive 04HD plays without interruption, mirroring iPad to Kuro plasma works fine via AirPlay & Apple TV and no trouble web surfing. If it dies again, I will try what you suggest and let you know what happens. Can I run item 11 via Remote Desktop or VPN?
You can't find the IP that way but it does do winbind so you should be able to connect with remote desktop using the Id's name as it shows up on your network.
You can also find the IP by right-clicking on the Id in MC on a computer and doing "Show Device Webpage"

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 04:08:25 pm »

Thanks Bob. I will check out these methods.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 06:13:08 pm »

Bob, I just loaded the new Id build and after it loaded successfully, if I remember correctly, the last line on the screen image told me to reboot the Id. I did this and once again it got stuck in a place that is neither the Main Menu nor the GUI interface. You can see a screen shot at https://www.dropbox.com/s/a72m64d6rjrf88a/IMG_3677.JPG?dl=0 . In this state, JRemote can't connect to it, giving the errors I sent you screen shots of previously. In order to get back to the main menu, I had to reboot the Id using its power button. I then had to restart JRemote for it to connect to the Id because it wouldn't do so without a restart.

So the Id still won't reboot properly. Please come up with a fix for this.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 10:12:19 am »

Bob, I just loaded the new Id build and after it loaded successfully, if I remember correctly, the last line on the screen image told me to reboot the Id. I did this and once again it got stuck in a place that is neither the Main Menu nor the GUI interface. You can see a screen shot at https://www.dropbox.com/s/a72m64d6rjrf88a/IMG_3677.JPG?dl=0 . In this state, JRemote can't connect to it, giving the errors I sent you screen shots of previously. In order to get back to the main menu, I had to reboot the Id using its power button. I then had to restart JRemote for it to connect to the Id because it wouldn't do so without a restart.

So the Id still won't reboot properly. Please come up with a fix for this.
The shutdown didn't finish, it looks like it hung at the end. I've seen that (very rarely) here. There are 2 different NUC boxes for the Id classic. Would you tell me the model number from the bottom of your Id?

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 07:43:50 pm »

I couldn't be sure which of the many numbers on the bottom that you wanted, so here is a photo of it - https://www.dropbox.com/s/1jaw1y0caydbfnl/IMG_3686.JPG?dl=0 . All the numbers seemed readable with a swipe zoom, but if the one you want is not, let me know exactly where it is and I will write it down for you.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 08:31:25 pm »

It's a NUC 5CPYH.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 03:42:13 am »

Thanks Jim.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 05:52:56 pm »

That one has been giving us some trouble upon reboot occasionally. It required a pretty new kernel to boot properly. We'll be checking that and bios updates to see if we can find a resolution.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 08:41:52 pm »

Thank you Bob. While it has only happened occasionally for you, it happens every time for me. The only way I can get a successful reboot is to use the power button. If you think you might have a solution within about 2 weeks, I will hold off on ordering an Id for my client. But if there is no predicting when the solution might come, I will order it sooner and just show him how to reboot it with the power button.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 04:12:10 am »

Yes, it was very easy to connect to the Id using Remote Desktop. I once more tried 98-Enter to see if it would reboot, waited 10 minutes and then tried Remote Desktop again. I got error messages saying either the Id was turned off or wasn't available on the network. Being sure it had hung up again, I rebooted it with the Power button. This didn't work either. I had to power cycle the Id by pulling out the AC cord, waiting 10 seconds and putting it back in. I was then able to connect with Remote Desktop again.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2016, 01:37:46 pm »

Bob, I just took delivery of another Id Classic and will be installing it at a client's home Saturday. Any chance of a resolution on the reboot issue by then?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2016, 05:01:27 pm »

Bob, I just took delivery of another Id Classic and will be installing it at a client's home Saturday. Any chance of a resolution on the reboot issue by then?
Still working on it. There is a pretty important network access issue that's in front of it...

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 06:37:06 pm »

My client rescheduled, so I will be installing the Id tomorrow. Any progress yet on the reboot issue?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2016, 12:48:30 pm »

My client rescheduled, so I will be installing the Id tomorrow. Any progress yet on the reboot issue?
Unfortunately I think it's going to need a new kernel which means a new image.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 05:40:30 pm »

Can you try doing the repair (follow the Id repair guide) from this image:
http://files.jriver.com/Id/Id2/id2repair5.iso

Do the firmware repair option, when asked choose to save your settings.

It has a newer kernel and seems to fix the issue here.

If something goes wrong with the boot afterwards, reboot the repair stick and do the boot repair.

If that still doesn't work, download the previous repair image and use that to reinstall again saving settings.
http://files.jriver.com/Id/Id2/id2repair4.iso

Donski

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2022, 02:08:35 pm »

I'm having this same problem and have the same model NUC.  I downloaded the image but don't see any readme or txt file with instructions. I've never flashed images before so I would appreciate detailed instruction. Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2022, 02:23:56 pm »

I'm having this same problem and have the same model NUC.  I downloaded the image but don't see any readme or txt file with instructions. I've never flashed images before so I would appreciate detailed instruction. Thanks

How old is your Id?  Which NUC?

Donski

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2022, 04:20:45 pm »

I bought it 10/2016. It's a NUC 5CPYH.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2022, 04:48:13 pm »

Loose cables?  Check inside as well.

BradATIMA

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2022, 05:44:56 pm »

You can find detailed instructions for making and using repair stick here:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,110326.msg762788.html#msg762788

Donski

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2022, 11:01:32 am »

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up