INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video stutters after turning display off and back on  (Read 2636 times)

audunth

• Citizen of the Universe
Video stutters after turning display off and back on
« on: May 02, 2016, 09:33:18 am »

Hi,

When I wake up my PC from standby, if I don't turn the connected TV on BEFORE I wake up the PC (and can hear the Windows hardware disconnected and then connected sounds in the speakers), I can't play any video in MC without major stuttering. Everything plays fine before putting the PC in standby, and after a restart it plays fine again, until I hear that sound again because I didn't turn my TV on before PC wake-up. Happens every time. I never experienced this with my old AMD Radeon card, only after switching to a new Nvidia GeForce card. I did however also change from using a VGA connection from the AMD card to using a HDMI connection between the new Nvidia card and the TV. This is only temporary because I have to mount a new VGA plug onto the cable as I thought it was broken and cut it off. (Turns out it wasn't, but that's another story).

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there something I can do to "reset" the display/graphics card so I don't have to restart Windows every time this happens?

My specs are in the signature. Running with RO standard and EVR (and will continue to do so to save power/heat in the GPU/CPU when watching tv shows on my 10 year old 40" living room TV)
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

CountryBumkin

Re: Video stutters after turning disppay off and back on
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 09:55:33 am »

I think you are describing the "HDCP hand shaking" problem. If so, you can get one of those the HDMI-Detective devices  http://www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-hd-edidpn.jsp?prod_id=14859

audunth

Re: Video stutters after turning display off and back on
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 11:50:00 am »

Yeah, it's probably something like that...however paying a lot of money and adding more unnecessary components and cables to my setup is abolutely not a solution. A simple Windows restart solves the problem every time (and so does always turning off the TV after putting PC to sleep and turning it on before wake-up). I was just wondering if there are any other quicker ways to somehow reset the display and/or GPU without restarting. I've already tried the Windows+P hotkey, and it doesn't help.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 11:14:21 am »

I would (almost) bet that replacing the GPU will fix this.  I had all kinds of problems with AMD GPU's in the past, but since I have moved to Nvidia or Intel, no issues.

Also, assuming your signature is correct, catalyst 12.3 is old...you might try updating to see if that helps.

audunth

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 09:12:14 am »

I would (almost) bet that replacing the GPU will fix this.  I had all kinds of problems with AMD GPU's in the past, but since I have moved to Nvidia or Intel, no issues.

Also, assuming your signature is correct, catalyst 12.3 is old...you might try updating to see if that helps.

Read my first post again. I just switched from AMD Radeon HD6850 with 12.3 drivers to Nvidia GTX 970 with the latest drivers. It might be the GPU. It might be that I'm using HDMI instead of VGA (will go back to VGA once I get around to soldering a new plug).

What I'm looking for is a way to reset the displays under Windows 7. So I don't have to restart the PC.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 09:35:34 am »

What is the native resolution of your TV (720, 1080, other)?
At Tools>Options>Video do you have "Display Settings automatic change mode" set to "On" (or Custom with your TV's resolution set)?
At Tools>Options>Video>Advanced, what do you have "Framerate" set to?
At Tools>Options>Tree & View>Full Screen, what do you have the "Resolution: Desktop Settings" set for (your TV's resolution)?

See the EDID Override thread at AVS Forum http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/1227161-edid-overrides-solve-bitstreaming-issues-ati-5xxx-s.html?highlight=edid  Even though the thread starts out solving an issue with ATI card, it has helpful/useful info further in that may help you.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 10:31:43 am »

What I'm looking for is a way to reset the displays under Windows 7. So I don't have to restart the PC.
You could try going into device manager and disabling your GPU, and then re-enable it.  (right click on the video device, choose disable...wait for a couple seconds, then right click and choose enable).

Not sure if this will work, and not sure it is faster than a reboot, but worth a try.  If it does work, you can automate the process (well...at least make it a single click), but that is a post for another day...
Pages: [1]   Go Up