INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting the "Something went wrong with the playback" error message  (Read 9732 times)

Larsonius

Hi everyone,
I am giving a try to the JRiver MC21 since I heard lots of good things about it.
I just downloaded it today and already ran into problems, so I could really use some help.
It might be hardware-related, so here goes the configuration:
1. The source is a 2012 MacBook Pro with ElCapitan and MC21 latest version installed
2. The MBP transmits though a Sennheiser BTD500 USB Bluetooth transmitter/adapter
3. The bluetooth receiver is an Arcam MiniBlink that is linked to the amplifier.
The problem is that as soon as I set the Sennheiser bluetooth transmitter as "Audio device" in "Tools - Options" and then try playing anything, I get the error message in the title, which is something like:
"Something went wrong with the playback.
Details:
Playback could not be started on the output Core Audio using the format 44.1 kHz 2channel.
This format may not be supported by your hardware. You can use DSP Studio to change the output to a compatible format.
Also make sure your system has a valid sound playback device and that is properly configured in playback options
"
The thing is that MC21 plays with all other audio sources: "built in output" or even another external DAC that is linked by USB cable to the MacBook.
Also other players (iTunes, VOX) work perfectly with the MBPro - Sennheiser - Arcam combination.
So unless I miss something, I only see two possibilities:
1. JRiver MC21 is not compatible with USB Bluetooth adapters on MacBook Pro (it works with the MBP-s own internal bluetooth) such as the Sennheiser
2. There is a setting in "DSP & Output format" that I am totally missing (and it is not like I haven't tried for the last three hours all the combinations).
So if more experienced users have any input, it would be much appreciated.

mmatches1

• Recent member
Re: Getting the "Something went wrong with the playback" error message
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 03:59:55 pm »

I am having the exact same issue and getting the same message.  I am trying to play back with a new DAC.  No problems with ITunes but cannot play back through Media Centre 21.  Any ideas?

mmatches1

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 02:03:09 pm »

Is anyone going to help with this?  It has rendered my Media Center usless and I will not buy our upgrade again. 

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 12:34:57 am »

Is anyone going to help with this?  It has rendered my Media Center usless and I will not buy our upgrade again.  

I'm on a 2012 15" rMBP running 10.11.5 and MC21.0.80.  I now cannot play and tracks from SACD iso files.  I tried splitting up one to dsf files with XLD and that works but I'm not going to go do that for all my SACD rips.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 06:54:01 am »

I missed this the first time around.  See my response below.

2. The MBP transmits though a Sennheiser BTD500 USB Bluetooth transmitter/adapter
3. The bluetooth receiver is an Arcam MiniBlink that is linked to the amplifier.
The problem is that as soon as I set the Sennheiser bluetooth transmitter as "Audio device" in "Tools - Options" and then try playing anything, I get the error message in the title, which is something like:
"Something went wrong with the playback.
Details:
Playback could not be started on the output Core Audio using the format 44.1 kHz 2channel.
This format may not be supported by your hardware. You can use DSP Studio to change the output to a compatible format.

This normally means that MC can't send audio at the sample rate listed.  In this case 44kHz.  Because this is bluetooth, maybe it's limited to one specific sample rate.  I would guess it's 48kHz.  If I'm right, you'd need to force MC to use 48kHz for all audio.  Here's how:

Player > DSP Studio > Output Format > (checked)
Player > DSP Studio > Output Format > Sample rate table (in the center):
Set all outputs to 48,000 Hz.  Start with 44,100 input to 48,000 output, then test.  If that works, change all of the outputs to 48,000.

That will probably fix the issue.  Good luck.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 06:57:45 am »

I'm on a 2012 15" rMBP running 10.11.5 and MC21.0.80.  I now cannot play and tracks from SACD iso files.  I tried splitting up one to dsf files with XLD and that works but I'm not going to go do that for all my SACD rips.

I've played SACD ISOs on MC20 and MC21 for Mac with no special configuration.  They just show up with all of their tracks and play correctly.

I'm totally guessing, but maybe you have a similar problem to the original poster here.  SACD will try to play back at 352,800 Hz in MC.  If your DAC doesn't support that rate, it might fail.

Follow the instructions above and change the input 352,800 to something your DAC supports like 96,000, or even 44,100 .  Restart MC and test again.

If it doesn't work, please post some details.  Good luck.

Brian.

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 10:15:07 am »

I've played SACD ISOs on MC20 and MC21 for Mac with no special configuration.  They just show up with all of their tracks and play correctly.

I'm totally guessing, but maybe you have a similar problem to the original poster here.  SACD will try to play back at 352,800 Hz in MC.  If your DAC doesn't support that rate, it might fail.

Follow the instructions above and change the input 352,800 to something your DAC supports like 96,000, or even 44,100 .  Restart MC and test again.

If it doesn't work, please post some details.  Good luck.

Didn't help :(   I already had it set to drop everything 352,800 and above to 96,000.  I just tried setting it to max out at 48,000 for any input rate but I get the same error driving either the Macbook's internal audio or my Marantz SR5007 AV receiver.  This all used to work fine and I hadn't changed anything.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 10:36:27 am »

What error do you get?

Can you play regular FLAC, MP3, etc, files?

Are you using bitstreaming, or Output Encoding?

Brian.

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 11:58:48 am »

What error do you get?
"Something went wrong with the playback."

Can you play regular FLAC, MP3, etc, files?
Yep.  Can even play dsf files extracted from a .iso using XLD.

Are you using bitstreaming, or Output Encoding?
Nope.

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 12:28:32 pm »

Hmm.  I'm not sure what's going on.  I just tried to force my system to give me "something went wrong" by misconfiguring DSP Studio to the wrong sample rates (rates my DACs don't accept).  In all cases, MC switched back to the correct sample rates.  Presumably because the DAC is reporting back the rates it supports?  I'm really not sure.  All I know is, I can't get it to give me an error.

Are you sure your ISO files are intact?  I'm not sure how you'd test that.  It's just odd because you say you can play PCM and you can play DSF files.  So that would seem to indicate that MC can play DSD files.

When playing SACD ISO songs, I looked at the Player > Audio Path .  It shows me that "input" is 352.8kHz 64 bit, 2ch from format SACD .  The rest of the path shows it converting from 352.8 down to 176.4 and other adjustments (volume and stuff).

I'm not sure how to advise you other than having you somehow verify that your SACD ISOs are clean and uncorrupted.  I don't do much listening to SACDs.

Brian.

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 12:35:32 pm »

I don't have access to my music library at work.  I was going to try playing the .iso files in fubar under Win-7/Fusion.  Do you have a (hopefully small) .iso file you could send me via dropbox or similar so I can try a known good file?  These were all working a few weeks ago!

David

BradATIMA

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 01:21:25 pm »

Is anyone going to help with this?  It has rendered my Media Center usless and I will not buy our upgrade again. 
This isn't really the same as the OP posters issue though the solution is likely similar.
Your new DAC likely just needs to have it's output configured in the DSP studio Output Format (sample rates supported by the DAC and number of channels).

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 01:26:03 pm »

Your new DAC likely just needs to have it's output configured in the DSP studio Output Format (sample rates supported by the DAC and number of channels).

No, that's not it at all.  If you read the last few messages, you will see that.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 01:49:45 pm »

No, that's not it at all.  If you read the last few messages, you will see that.
That particular reply was to the second poster, MMATCHES1, not you.
These problems don't seem to be related other than the error message.

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 01:55:39 pm »

ok. thanks

BradATIMA

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 02:01:25 pm »

Are you using any other DSP studio effects or VST plugins?
Are you using any other music software that might be exclusively using the sound card?
Can you take a screen shot of the DSP studio window and post it here so we can see the settings you're using?
How many channels are the files that won't play?
Can you upload one of the sacd files that won't play and then provide us with a link so we can test it here?

blgentry

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 03:13:12 pm »

How many channels are the files that won't play?

This seems like a strong possibility for the problem.  I had forgotten about that.

Brian.

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 08:59:31 pm »

"Something went wrong with the playback."
Yep.  Can even play dsf files extracted from a .iso using XLD.
Nope.

I got it to work by deleting the tracks from the library (but not the file) and then re-importing the .iso file.  Then it played fine.  Somehow, MC corrupted the library.

David

blgentry

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 09:04:18 pm »

If you moved the ISO file using Rename, Move, and Copy weird things happen with the tracks inside the ISO (MC's pointers to the tracks).  It's one of the limitations of ISO support.  If not, I don't know what happened.  But it's nice to know you fixed it.  :)

Brian.

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 11:14:41 pm »

If you moved the ISO file using Rename, Move, and Copy weird things happen with the tracks inside the ISO (MC's pointers to the tracks).  It's one of the limitations of ISO support.  If not, I don't know what happened.  But it's nice to know you fixed it.  :)

Brian.

So, to avoid this happening again, I was going to use XLD to split the .iso files into .dsf per track.  However, I don't know how to export/import the hours of work I've put in tagging the tracks.  How can I select the tracks from the .iso and export them to some file and then import them as the tags for the .dsf tracks?  I've spent tons of time on classical disks tagging orchestra, conductor, soloists, composer, etc.  There's no way I'm typing that all in again for hundreds of tracks.

Thanks,

David

blgentry

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 07:01:10 am »

I don't think you need to break the tracks out unless you really want to.  There's procedure you can do when you do a Rename, Move, and Copy that will bring the tracks back.  Read the second post in this thread:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96837.0

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up