INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speed of MC 9.1  (Read 5653 times)

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
Speed of MC 9.1
« on: July 21, 2003, 10:18:09 am »

Hi All,

I have read a few threads that mention speed issues with 9.1.

I am currently still using 9.0 with a library of in excess of 40,000 tracks (mainly audio).

Please can i have your thought's on the comparitive speed of both versions with large(er) libraries.

Thanks all

Graham

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Speed of MC 9.1
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2003, 10:25:53 am »

I did not notice a defrence between 9.0 and 9.1

I think there was some problems at first with the database but that seems to be worked out.

System 3.06 Ghz, 512 megs DDR, On A ATI 9700 Pro video board.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

jleerigby

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2003, 10:40:50 am »

I have 20K audio tracks in my library and recently upgraded from 9.0. The main difference in 9.1 is the addition of view panes to replace or compliment the trees.  I see no difference in speed using 9.1 in general and the library refreshes just as quickly as ever when you use the trees.  

It is however, a little slower to refresh when using the panes (well it is for me).  Maybe that's because it's got more to do - as you click one pane it dynamically updates the contents of the others as well as updating  list of tracks.

I like the panes so much more than trees though and the difference in speed is negligable so it's not an issue for me.   System specs below in case you want to compare.

(Athlon XP2200+, 1.5GB DDR 333 RAM, 2x 120GB WD Caviar SE HDD with 8MB cache).

TimB

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2003, 10:51:13 am »

It is however, a little slower to refresh when using the panes (well it is for me).  Maybe that's because it's got more to do - as you click one pane it dynamically updates the contents of the others as well as updating  list of tracks.

I like the panes so much more than trees though and the difference in speed is negligable so it's not an issue for me.   System specs below in case you want to compare.

Likewise here.

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

NoCodeUK

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2003, 11:18:12 am »

I am still getting real speed issues on startup.  MC loads I select some audio to play and then there is a 7-10 second wait until it starts.  This only happens with the first play.  I have reported it a number of times but nothing has been said about it.  Does anyone else get this...it is driving me mad :)

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2003, 12:22:21 pm »

I've never seen that.  Is there a network drive involved?  A drive that doesn't exist?

Try disabling any other software that you can.

nila

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2003, 12:35:10 pm »

Only real speed issue I have is with the search bar, it can really lagg at times,especially when I start typing something then try delete a bit to edit it - major lagg :)

Worse than Age of Empires used to be on my 56k when playing online :)

NoCodeUK

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2003, 12:50:45 pm »

JimH,

I have tried it with no other software running except MC.  All files are stored on a local drive the only network connection is my Cable line.  I have had this ever since the first 9.1 version.  I was begin to wonder if it was my system as no one else seemed to be reporting it too :)

Dunno what it could be...Any pointers?  I really need to sort as it makes MC difficult to use straight away...Always have to play something let it start up, let it sort out the volume, then stop and restart.

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

NoCodeUK

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2003, 12:54:02 pm »

Also noticed...when starting the volumes loud for a second then drops real quite.  I would expect this if I have the volume optimizer or replay gain turned on but these are both off...Very odd

Adam

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2003, 12:55:15 pm »

It's probably the problematic DirectX host DSP plugin that has since been removed from current builds of MC 9.1. But if you had it installed from a previous build, you have to remove it manually now. I think the file is just called "directx.dll" or something similar in your MC plugins directory. Delete it (or rename it) and see if that speeds things up.

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2003, 12:58:09 pm »

I have kind of the opposite problem with volume. I DO have replay gain turned on and all of my mp3s analyzed...but on initial playback of my songs, the volume seems too quiet until i manually click the replay gain plugin off and then back on again. This boosts the volume up to where it should be to begin with. The trouble is...the volume gets quiet again upon each track change.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2003, 01:06:10 pm »

Ummm...now you mention it I do have the DX Host installed...I hope it is not that as my 20 Band Parametric EQ does make my music sound better but if i have to get rid of it then never mind...if it makes MC work again.  One thing I have noticed is at startup MC always tries to fire up my CD Drive before playing the tracks regardless of whether the music is on CD.  This means it always has to wait until the CD drive has spun which adds to the lag.  I can't understand why the CD Drive needs to be running to read files off the HD but maybe I have a lack of knowledge ;D

Adam

NoCodeUK

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2003, 01:11:31 pm »

Jst removed the DX host...Almost instant playback startup :( But my music doesn't soun half as good now...

Adam

jam

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2003, 01:11:47 pm »

I also have slow startup problem.  It took about 10~15 secs.  I didn't think this was a problem.  Because, I'm thinking MC9 is checking all files availability at the startup, and I have 6884 files in my library.

JimH, is it possible to confirm this, whether MC9 is checking files availability or not?  Thanks.

I think it is not necessary to check all files at the startup, but it's not a big problem to me.  So, I didn't report this.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2003, 01:32:15 pm »

Jam, do u have the DX host installed?? Check in the DSP Studio...if so try renaming the file dsp_DirectX.dlll in the MC plugins directory to .bak.  This sorted out my startup problems completely

Adam

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2003, 01:44:28 pm »

I also have slow startup problem.  It took about 10~15 secs.  I didn't think this was a problem.  Because, I'm thinking MC9 is checking all files availability at the startup, and I have 6884 files in my library.

The number of files is not the problem.

nila

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2003, 01:46:47 pm »

Jam -I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

I have 20,000 files in my Library and there is no way MC could check these on startup without a BIG lagg which I dont have.

digital:rogue

• Recent member
  • insert generic tagline here.
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2003, 01:51:21 pm »

I have 6376 files in my library and MC starts up in under 3 seconds for me.

my systems specs (to compare): P4 2.6 Ghz (533 Mhz bus), 512mb Rambus, Hitatchi Deskstar 60gb system drive w/ 8mb buffer, WD Caviar 100gb secondary drive (used purely for video cap storage & OS swap file). DX9.0a SDK running retail dll's. ATI Radeon 9700 w/ Catalyst 3.5

Sounds like you guys with performance problems might have stuff taking CPU cycles in the background, or your CPU thread queue count might be running high (not enough cpu cycles to go around...), but I won't be presumptuous, for I know nothing about what this program does at startup or your individual systems. Just sending out some comparitive information.
.-=digital.rogue=-.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

jleerigby

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2003, 03:05:23 pm »

Jst removed the DX host...Almost instant playback startup :( But my music doesn't soun half as good now...

Adam
Don't know what soundcard you are running but if you want good sound I'd change it.  They are so cheap these days (Audigy2 only £56 from http://prices.cclcomputers.co.uk/jscript_menu/retail/retail_frame.htm).  Money well spent I'd say.  I never use any equalisation and the sound is great.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2003, 03:12:52 pm »

Thanks for the advice but my Soundcard isn't the problem.  I just liked being able to tweak my sound to the nth degree ;D  I was running a 20 Band Parametric eq using the DX Host which allowed very nice tweaking.  It doesn't sound much worse I just cannot boost the bass as much now...

I have an SB Live and Cambridge Sound works 4.1 speakers.  Not the best by any means but they serve me perfectly okay.  I think if I was gonna upgrade the Soundcard I would go the whole hog and get an MAudio or a decent Terratec rather than going for another SoundBlaster.  I think SB often sacrifice audio quality for extra features.  Seeing as I hardly play games I am not worried about EAX but would like good Audio quality...

Adam

jam

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2003, 08:56:11 pm »

Ok.  Probablly, I was wrong.  Now I have no idea why MC9.1 takes 10~15 sec for start-up.

I have no DX stuff.  I'm using 933MHz Celeron.  All ape/mp3 files are on network drive.

BTW, why I thought MC9 was checking files availability, when I had a problem in my network file system, files that couldn't be read were marked at the startup.

I'll look around to find the source of problem.  Thanks.

jam

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2003, 05:26:07 pm »

Just for the record.  I've upgraded MC9 from MC9.1.218 to MC9.1.219.  Now it starts in 5 sec.  I didn't even reboot my machine.  ;D

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2003, 09:48:25 am »

bump

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2003, 10:37:18 am »

Thanks for the bump Jim... ;)

This is it, the DirectX host plug, renamed it and I now have instant startup of music.

I tried a few of my favorite Waves plugs using this, but I always found it sounded better without it no matter what I did. Flat is where it's at!

Thanks again Jim,

WP

gkerber

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2003, 11:06:08 am »

Thanks for the bump Jim... ;)

What is "bump"?

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2003, 11:29:51 am »

Something a doctor should look at...

Actually, when a topic hasn't gotten any replies for a while it falls out of the main scope of the board. Someone replies later and it "bumps" it back to the top.

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2003, 12:21:34 am »

bump

Wow i feel like a really important person.......

How many of you can say that Jim (the god) H has bumped 1 of your threads?

Lol

Graham

LisaRCT

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2003, 05:48:21 am »

Maybe it is my imagination, but 9.1.230 & 9.1.231 seem to have improved with spilt-second SNAP!  They just seem much more responsive to me.
If it is only my imagination, do not tell me . . . . ignorance is bliss they say    ;D

digital:rogue

• Recent member
  • insert generic tagline here.
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2003, 03:25:47 pm »

I agree, each build gets faster than the previous it seems. 9.1.233 opens in a split second now. :D
.-=digital.rogue=-.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

nila

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2003, 12:36:49 am »

Not sure about opening up but I still find that MC is VERY slow at closing down.

No idea what it's doing - when I say close it should just exit - but it takes at least 10 seconds, often longer, to close - and thats even if I just open it and then close it again instantly.

Influxor

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2003, 01:34:41 am »

Thanks for the advice but my Soundcard isn't the problem.  I just liked being able to tweak my sound to the nth degree ;D

Adam

nocode i agree to the max,  a standard stereo sound is not acceptable to me, i use the mc EQ, effects and a hardware 31 channel EQ on my stereo.   the best thing for ya i could suggest is to get rid of software enhancement and get a rack system consisting of  a few simple componets,  simple as a high power amp, good speakers and a great hardware EQ ... i know very expensive it can be, but when u get there you wont regret the sound... as for those who never tried this or don't think an EQ can help... get new ears hahahah  ;)

mc9 rocks! :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up