INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing Out Hard Drives  (Read 3907 times)

Jay13

• Recent member
Changing Out Hard Drives
« on: May 06, 2016, 07:39:49 am »

I am switching to a ethernet-based hard drive, so I will be transferring all my files (4TB) to the new hard drive.  What is the fastest and safest way to have MC21 recognize and work with the new hard drive?

I am using a MacMini server, and the current hard drive is connected via USB. 

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Changing Out Hard Drives
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 08:13:42 am »

1.  Back up your library.  File > Library > Backup library .  Note where you put the backup zip file.
2.  Get your new drive mounted under a directory.  It will probably be under /Volumes somewhere.
3.  Copy your music to the new drive, using the same directory structure as the original on your USB drive.
4.  Disconnect the USB drive.  Verify that the music is on the new drive.
5.  Use the Rename, Move, and Copy tool in Update Only mode to tell MC that your files have been moved to a new directory (folder).  I recommend using the Find & Replace mode of the tool, as outlined here:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Find_%26_Replace_Template

Here's the master wiki entry on the Rename, Move, and Copy tool:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

If, at some point, you figure out that you've horribly screwed up the database, you can use your library backup made above to restore the database.

IMPORTANT:  Make double sure that you only run the RM&C tool in UPDATE mode.  That way it won't try to copy or move files.  It will just update the internal database.

Good luck,

Brian.

Jay13

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 05:15:32 pm »

Thanks.  I have a big Mac Pro, so I was thinking about hooking both hard drives up to it and using its power to transfer the files from one HD to the other, since it is such a large music collection.  

If I do that, would you have different instructions for me before I connect the new HD, or just forget that and go with your original sequence?

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 05:35:35 pm »

I'm unsure about the specifics of your setup because you called the new hard drive "ethernet based" but then said you could attach it to your Mac Pro.  As long as it works the same both ways (direct attached, or on ethernet), then I guess it doesn't matter.

The big thing you'll need to be aware of is the path in the file system to your old drive *and* the new drive.  Your old drive is probably something like /Volumes/SeagateGoFlex/  ...and it probably has directories under it like Artist_name/Album_name/Song_names .

Your new drive should hopefully end up something like /Volumes/New_Network_Drive/ and then have the exact same structure as the old drive with artists, albums, etc.

Good luck.  Ask for help here if you need it. 

Brian.

Jay13

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 11:04:42 pm »

Thanks so much Brian, and sorry I should have been more clear on my setup.

My MacMini is my music server running MC.  I have a USB based DAC, and my current external hard drive is WD MyBook, which is USB as well.  I don't want both connections to be via USB, so I am switching to a WD My Cloud 4TB hard drive, which connects via ethernet to the Mini. 

I was going to disconnect the current hard drive frome the Mini, connect it to the MacPro along with the new My Cloud hard drive, and hopefully transfer the files faster.  Then connect the new My Cloud loaded with the exact same files to the Mini.  I will use your suggestions and let you know if I mess it up.

Jay

Jay13

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 07:36:13 am »

Question:

If I do the file transfer on a separate computer, will MC automatically see the new hard drive when I connect it and update automatically, or do I need to go to the

RM&C section and go under "Update database to point to new location"?

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 07:46:54 am »

^ You need to update manually using RM&C in update mode.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up