INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Raspberry - Writing tags to files  (Read 4589 times)

Auerhahn

Raspberry - Writing tags to files
« on: May 08, 2016, 03:28:47 am »

I would like JRiver to write the tags to the responding files. I have the option set, but it doesn’t work. It also doesn’t work when I start this process manually (Library Tools/Write tags). This seems to be an issue with the writing rights for those files. The user »pi« (the only one on my raspberry= has the right to write to these directories, but it doesn’t happen. What’s wrong here? Is it not possible to write the tags to the files, using a raspberry?

(When I use the Library Tools, I get the message, that the files couldn’t be written.  When I make the same from my Mac, I get the message that all is OK, but this is noy true.)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Raspberry - Writing tags to files
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 07:25:16 am »

What file type?

Auerhahn

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 01:27:07 pm »

MP3.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 01:32:44 pm »

I would like JRiver to write the tags to the responding files. I have the option set, but it doesn’t work. It also doesn’t work when I start this process manually (Library Tools/Write tags). This seems to be an issue with the writing rights for those files. The user »pi« (the only one on my raspberry= has the right to write to these directories, but it doesn’t happen. What’s wrong here? Is it not possible to write the tags to the files, using a raspberry?

(When I use the Library Tools, I get the message, that the files couldn’t be written.  When I make the same from my Mac, I get the message that all is OK, but this is noy true.)

It's definitely possible to write tags to files on a raspberry, but you need to be aware of a few issues first.  You don't mention where the files are actually hosted and on what kind of filesystem.  If they're on a network share or an ntfs formatted drive there are special issues with making sure you can write to the files.  Assuming they're on the pi: Linux file permissions are granular and at the file level, not just the directory level.  If you change a directory's permissions on a linux system it will only change the default permissions of new files made thereafter (and not always then), it does not change the permissions of existing files.  So having write permissions on the directories only tells you that the pi user can put new files there, not whether it can affect existing files.

Step one is to assess the actual permissions of the files.  Open a terminal in a directory that contains files you want to change, and then post the output of
Code: [Select]
ls -la
From there I can advise on how to fix your permissions if it is a permissions issue and not an ntfs read-only or samba share permissions issue.

Auerhahn

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 02:50:29 pm »

This is the output of la - la in one of the directories:

insgesamt 276608
drwxr-xr-x 1 pi pi   131072 Mai  8 20:39 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 pi pi   131072 Mai  8 15:25 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 pi pi 56568010 Mai  8 20:33 .afpDeleted1286557
drwxr-xr-x 1 pi pi   131072 Mai  8 20:39 .AppleDouble
-rwxr-xr-x 1 pi pi     6148 Mai  8 18:27 .DS_Store
-rwxr-xr-x 1 pi pi    37694 Apr 22 09:40 Folder.jpg
-rwxr-xr-x 1 pi pi 56606722 Mai  8 20:38 Michael Kohlhaas 1.mp3
-rwxr-xr-x 1 pi pi 56618425 Mai  8 20:38 Michael Kohlhaas 2.mp3
-rwxr-xr-x 1 pi pi 56842869 Mai  8 20:39 Michael Kohlhaas 3.mp3
-rwxr-xr-x 1 pi pi 55769968 Mai  8 20:39 Michael Kohlhaas 4.mp3

The files are on a hard disc attached to the raspberry. It is formatted with ExtFAT.

There are three situations I can try:

1. I access the library in the raspberry as shared library. Then the command »write tags to file« fails with an error message.
2. I access the files in a library in my mac which uses this network share. Then I get the message that the tags are written, which is not true.
3. I use Media Center directly on the raspberry. Here I get the same message and the same result.

In no case I can write the tags to the files. The only difference is: in cases 2 and 3  get the message that all is well.

But I ound another strange issue which may explain what happens. The Wiki tells about the »General settings« that there are three options:

1. Automatically Import Files into Media Center: Whenever you play a file associated with the program, that file will be imported (it will be added to the "Recently Imported" Playlist and filed into the various folders, including Artist, Album, etc).

2. Store tags in external sidecar files if the file type does not support tagging

3. Update Tags When File Info Changes: If this option is checked (default), tags will be updated when changes are made in the library.

There is only option 1 in the windows, when I open it. There is nothing about a »sidecar« and no option which would say that something is updated, when file info changes. This is the same on the Mac and on the raspberry. (There is a second checkbos, but the text doesn’t look like th german translation of point 3. point 2 is definitely not there. May be the option disappeared somehow?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 03:15:28 pm »

Ok it's not a file permissions issue as those files have permissions that should allow the pi to write to them.  I've never used EXfat as a filesystem, but if anything it should support a reduced permissions set, so this should be less of an issue.

Could you try making a change to those specific files and then post what the error message says exactly.  You shouldn't need sidecars or anything like that as MP3s support tagging directly to the file.  Another thing to confirm is that nothing else is using the files at the same time.

Auerhahn

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 01:54:14 am »

The error message is: »Failed x files«. That’s all. Or there is a message of success. But this is wrong. That there is nothing else using these files is absolutely sure.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 05:06:10 pm »

The error message is: »Failed x files«. That’s all. Or there is a message of success. But this is wrong. That there is nothing else using these files is absolutely sure.

That's very odd.  I'm not sure what to suggest unless perhaps the partition in question is mounted read only?  Can you post the output of these two commands
Code: [Select]
lsblk
cat /etc/fstab

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 12:25:03 pm »

ExFat support is pretty new. It may be loaded Read-Only by default.
There might be some issue with the duplication of the filenames under the AppleDouble directory as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up