INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio settings for optimum sound  (Read 3340 times)

Steinar

Audio settings for optimum sound
« on: May 09, 2016, 01:01:19 pm »

I am a 65-year old and have just got myself a JRiver 21. I intend to solely use it to play music on my stereo equipment, and have bought an android tablet to use as a remote.
My set up is: Some 1.3 TB of music ripped to an external harddisk, Windows 7, Squeezebox Touch, Accuphase E-450 integrated amp with onboard DAC-30, Proac D28 speakers.

Upto now I have used iTunes/iPeng/iPod Touch, but I felt like trying something else.

So what I should like to have, is some step-by-step recommendation(s) as to what audio settings I should use on JRiver. I wish the settings to have minimum possible influence on the sound from my hifi-equipment.

The JRiver "manual" is rather comprehensive, and I find it more confusing than actually helpful.

So, therefore I should appreciate your suggestions, preferably in simple terms so that even an old sob like me can understand.  ;D

Regards
Steinar

Edit: I have the output level on my SB Touch set at 100pct, and the replay gain switched off.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Audio settings for optimum sound
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 01:05:03 pm »

One of the really important first steps is to pick a lossless format and rip using that.

I like APE, but I'm a little partial.  FLAC or even WMA Lossless are good too.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Steinar

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 01:07:21 pm »

I use FLAC, and some of the music is ALAC from my iTunes days.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 01:45:53 pm »

Please try the wiki topic called Getting Started.

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 07:00:50 am »

Welcome  :)

Please try the wiki topic called Getting Started.

Yes +1. Don't have to read everything just a couple of the pages! C'mon, 65 is still young!!  8) There are too many possible options to give step-by-steps for everything.

So read the page on the WIKI (see Jims signature for the link) AND the links on that page to others regarding configuring your import options, window system setup, and dac. Then if you have issues or don't understand : 1- you will have the jargon to be able to explain better here; 2- people here will know that you have tried to follow basic set-up procedures and be more efficient helping you. I'd leave the squeezebox touch out of the loop. Set up your primary machine first. Going directly into your Accuphase using coax or a toslink connection should be pretty easy - no drivers like USB. (Probably be using WASAPI, turn all system sounds to off, and set your system volume to 100%. The use either Internal Volume or Disabled Volume (again see the Wiki))

In my humble opionion .... Then, (and only then ;) ) look into remote control for your tablet. I highly recommend using JRemote for this. You can download this directly to your tablet from the "store" -- cost is low and definitely worth it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up