INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Waiting" for songs to play  (Read 3319 times)

jgreen8240

• Recent member
"Waiting" for songs to play
« on: May 09, 2016, 09:27:48 pm »

Folks,

Have been encountering a problem once intermittent and now the norm. I have delays in media center acting to commands. I will see "waiting" in the bar at the top of media center and the song may take 20 seconds to load. All commands like pause, volume, skip song, etc are delayed for excessive times. Running Windows 10. Have done all the typical things I know to do like reboot, reinstall media center and so looking for any suggestions.

Thanks,
Jim

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: "Waiting" for songs to play
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 02:27:56 am »

^

Check if your media is on a drive that goes to sleep..

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

jgreen8240

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 05:39:47 am »

Appreciate your help. Drive does not sleep though

RD James

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 06:03:54 am »

Try reducing the prebuffering to 2 seconds and make sure that memory playback is disabled.

jgreen8240

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 07:01:59 am »

RD,

Thanks for the suggestions. Memory playback is disabled. resetting prebuffering time. For my continued education why is the default 6 and not less if it can cause delays potentially?

Thanks!

RD James

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 09:15:57 am »

Thanks for the suggestions. Memory playback is disabled. resetting prebuffering time. For my continued education why is the default 6 and not less if it can cause delays potentially?
Pre-buffering means that it's less likely to skip during the beginning of playback if there's heavy disk/network access, but can introduce a delay depending on your disk/network speed - especially if the memory playback option is enabled.
A 20 second wait usually indicates slow disk/network access though, often a disk spinning up or a connection being made.
It's also possible that your playback device takes a long time to switch sample rates if you're playing a mixture of tracks.

jgreen8240

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 04:06:44 pm »

Thanks so much for the explanation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up