INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to auto mute all other sources when using DirectPlay  (Read 2151 times)

ptr727

• Recent member
How to auto mute all other sources when using DirectPlay
« on: May 12, 2016, 03:49:28 pm »

Hi, I'm having pops and crackles when using WASAPI and a D1, see here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=104813.0

But since DirectPlay works fine, I wonder if there is a way to get the equivalent of exclusive access when using DirectPlay?
What I want is for MC to be the only app that the mixer is enable for, and all other apps outputting audio to be muted.

The D1 is my default audio device, and it produces system sounds, and sounds from other active RDP sessions with audio redirection.
This is normally not an issue, but when I listen to music in MC I want only my music from MC to play, not the other sounds the mixer adds in.

I can manually open the mixer and mute all other inputs, but I want MC to automatically mute all other inputs to the mixer when a DirectPlay equivalent of WASAPI exclusive mode is enabled.

Thx
P.

defenz0r

Re: How to auto mute all other sources when using DirectPlay
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 03:41:44 pm »

Even though its old, i want to know that too. DirectSound is fine, but that annoying applications...
WASAPI happens to make more latency than WASAPI for me.
ASIO4ALL/ASIO is not a option.

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 07:20:50 pm »

You need to use an exclusive output to block audio from other applications - which means WASAPI.
ASIO can be exclusive, but may not be. It depends on the device.

Everything except ASIO and OpenAL go through a WASAPI layer on modern versions of Windows.
WASAPI should work if DirectSound does. You just need to get the buffer settings right.

defenz0r

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 06:43:42 am »

There is no correct Setting with WASAPI for my concerns. It's not possible for my case.
Using exclusive AUDIO Output EVER results in a form of lag. Non-Exclusive WASAPI output is possible, but unreasonable.
Yes, WASAPI works, but not without lag in exclusive mode.

Found another solution yesterday!
Choose another Default Audio Device than the one you want to play from.
Then Choose in JRiver the Device you want to play with.

So default Sounds can be outputted to an fake or unused Sound Card.
This way Applications wont crash because they cant open the Default Sound Card.
Which happens a lot with Games. Also there is no lag due to WASAPI.
The problem with WASAPI /KS/ASIO4All are 100ms spikes in the Game you play.

Example: WASAPI turned on, Game is able to play to the fake device,
JRiver uses an Buffer (100ms) FPS drop from 60 to 59 FPS for 100ms.
Keyboard command to the Game is issued after +100ms. In my Game i did a error because of the buffering.
I don't want to prove it further. It's absolutely the issue. Even after trying lowest possible buffering for WASAPI.
It's not possible with it.

It also only happens in Games where you can't completely disable Sound Output and only mute it while the Game is playing back to DirectSound / DirectPlay. In my case, it's also an issue with the outdated BASS (AUDIO) Project of the Game and LWJGL (JAVA). But while using WASAPI with a default sound device that is used by WASAPI you cant play some kind of Games.
"Failed to Open Audio Renderer" Or similiar. For this case you can use the "fake" or unused device.

In terms of  CPU Load/Jitter DirectSound is superior. Just using fake default sound devices does the trick.
You can define the Playback Device in JRiver.
I hope Jim or some "experienced" user does not write now it's fault of my settings or of my DAC.
It has been proven from different Persons with different DAC's and different PC's.
Pages: [1]   Go Up