INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: auto updates  (Read 4750 times)

wburkett

• World Citizen
auto updates
« on: May 12, 2016, 06:07:52 pm »

Every so often when I launch MC, I'll get an installation prompt instead of the app coming up.  My guess is I have "auto update" enable somewhere, but I can't seem to find.  This behavior kind of bothers me and I'd like the manually update the app when I want to.  Where can I turn off the "auto update" feature?

thx - Bill

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: auto updates
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 07:18:01 pm »

Every so often when I launch MC, I'll get an installation prompt instead of the app coming up.  My guess is I have "auto update" enable somewhere, but I can't seem to find.  This behavior kind of bothers me and I'd like the manually update the app when I want to.  Where can I turn off the "auto update" feature?

thx - Bill

Tools->Options->Startup

Check the Update Channel area and make your choice. "Latest" gets you the latest "board" version. Stable is always a good choice - it's updated less frequently. And of course - you can Disable Automatic Updates as well - this ensures there are no updates active.

I actually turn everything off all updates on the HTPC version here since I do not want any changes to anything outside of normal monthly maintenance sessions. Especially when the family is accessing the HTPC

Cheers!

VP

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 12:44:22 am »

The update options are not there.

Find them at "Help > Update Channels >"

The bottom option, "Disable auto updates (not recommended)" sounds like the one you want.

-marko

wburkett

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 11:54:56 am »

thanks, guys. 

Aimhere

• Junior Woodchuck
  • These are not the droids you're looking for.
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 01:28:05 pm »

I hate to resurrect this thread, but...

I've always been bothered by the way MC handles automatic updates. I don't want to turn off automatic updates, but I WOULD like at least have a chance to CONFIRM the installation before it actually happens. Something like a prompt that says "An update for JRiver Media Center has been downloaded. Would you like to install it now? [Yes][No]" (or something similar). And if I happen to select "[No]", a message saying that I can install the update later via the menu "Help/Update Channels/Check for updates...". Simple.

More importantly, the update installation window doesn't make it CLEAR that this IS an update. It looks and works almost exactly like the window for an initial installation of MC, with only a brief text message flashing by as the progress bar moves along to indicate what is happening. I feel the window ought to have a static message at the top that says "Updating Media Center from version XXX to version YYY". This might especially help newer users understand what is going on.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 01:52:54 pm »

You could turn off the automatic check for updates but still do it manually (ctrl-j).

RD James

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 02:11:06 pm »

I just want it to not reinstall/reset the driver every time...

Aimhere

• Junior Woodchuck
  • These are not the droids you're looking for.
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 11:33:47 am »

You could turn off the automatic check for updates but still do it manually (ctrl-j).

I do want the automatic updates, don't get me wrong. For me, the bigger issue is in how the update process is presented to the user. Again, the updater window isn't clearly labelled as an UPDATE. So for all I know, it could simply be re-installing the same version I already have (it looks for all the world exactly like the initial installation). A simple addition of "Updating Media Center..." to the title of the window is all that is needed. It's really a matter of clarity more than anything else.
Pages: [1]   Go Up