INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monopolizing Audio output  (Read 2176 times)

jeffporcaro

• Recent member
Monopolizing Audio output
« on: May 12, 2016, 06:43:05 pm »

I'm a newbie - I hope this isn't old territory.

When I have Media Center open, it monopolizes the bus to the headphone port (where I have my auxiliary speakers plugged in). If I run any other program that uses audio (such as VLC, or iTunes, you name it) - they are forced to route the audio to another output (in my case, a secondary monitor connected via DisplayPort). There is no way to re-route anything else to the headphone port, until I close Media Center, when everything goes back to normal.

Thank you!

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Monopolizing Audio output
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 06:59:32 pm »

You probably have "Exclusive Access" enabled.  I think it's on by default.  To turn it off:

Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device > Device Settings > Open Device with exclusive access > (uncheck)

Then quit MC and restart it.  Now all applications on your Mac can talk to the audio device, even when MC is using it.

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 10:06:57 pm »

Does that work well on a Mac, without adverse consequences?

I know on a Windows PC turning off Exclusive Access so that Windows sounds or other applications can play sounds means that Windows will mix the sounds for playback, and usually apply any DSP and other settings defined in windows for that playback device.

In Windows that could mean that the Sample Rate, Bit Depth, and format are changed by Windows. Not good. All of a sudden MC could start sounding bad, and it isn't MC's fault. It is Windows! (Using Direct Sound, I believe.)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 07:24:40 am »

I just did some experiments:

Playing from MC alone.
Paused MC, playing from web browser.
Playing from web browser unpaused MC.
Stopped MC, played from web browser, played from MC.

I monitored Audio MIDI setup during these trials.

In all cases the same thing happened:  MC sets the sample rate it needs and the Mac takes it.  The web browser doesn't seem to have any influence on this at all; the sample rate just stays at the last one it was set to.  Because MC always seems to set to 32bit integer, the bit depth isn't an issue either.

Something, probably the OS X mixer, is mixing the audio together when both are playing at the same time.  This seems to work ok, though you probably wouldn't want to listen to two things at once; at least not very commonly.

So I think it's all pretty much ok and disabling exclusive access doesn't seem to have any adverse affects.

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 04:42:42 pm »

There you go. Now we know. I think that was worth asking.  :D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up