INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Move Files from 1 computer to another  (Read 1452 times)

emeraldphysics

Move Files from 1 computer to another
« on: May 13, 2016, 01:18:31 pm »

Hi All,

I just purchased a new computer and I've downloaded J River for Windows (21) just like my other computer.

I'd like to move the music I have from my original computer to the new one. May I please ask for some help.

Thanks,

Emerald Physics

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Move Files from 1 computer to another
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 02:16:37 pm »

You have MC on computer 1 now, with music files, and you want to move everything to computer 2. Is this correct? How many files? How customized is your MC setup?

If not too big of a music library (thinking of my own smallish collection; under 2000 music files), and you don't have tons of customized views and tweaks you need to save, then  I would just move the files with whatever physical method is easiest (copy over a network, or copy to USB or portable external drive, to get to new computer (copy to folders like c:\music\albumName\files), then direct MC to import all the music files into the new MC library so all the new file paths are then saved in library (and do the audio analysis during the import). A nice fresh, clean install.

If you are trying to save all you existing Library views and settings, well, then it takes a little more work - starting with a backup of the existing Library which can then be restored on the new computer.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Move Files from 1 computer to another
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 02:40:25 pm »

The wiki has a topic called "Moving Files".
Pages: [1]   Go Up