INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tool Bar Missing  (Read 5260 times)

tkozakis

• Recent member
Tool Bar Missing
« on: May 14, 2016, 03:54:27 pm »

I was experimenting with different skins and just to see what it would look like, changed the entire JRiver audio page completely turquoise (am not sure how) ... but so much so that the letters are a challenge to read in parts. The problem is the "tool bar" including "File", "View", and others is completely missing. I need to click on View to find Skin so that I can change this hideous look but again, not present at the top of the screen where it usually is. Please help. Thank you very much.

JohnnyFire

Re: Tool Bar Missing
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 04:43:40 pm »

I was experimenting with different skins and just to see what it would look like, changed the entire JRiver audio page completely turquoise (am not sure how) ... but so much so that the letters are a challenge to read in parts. The problem is the "tool bar" including "File", "View", and others is completely missing. I need to click on View to find Skin so that I can change this hideous look but again, not present at the top of the screen where it usually is. Please help. Thank you very much.

a simple reinstallation of the app will help or even better a clean install and a restore of settings backup will be ok for your problem mate!

jctcom

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 06:22:31 pm »

Something else you can try.  If the toolbar is there but just not visible.

Hold down the "ALT" key and hit the "V" key on your keyboard.  This should drop down the view menu allowing you to change it.

Carl.

tkozakis

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 07:38:51 pm »

Gents; thank you both but A) Alt, V did not work. There was no drop down. B) Is there anything else I can do short of re-installing the application? It would be a major headache to re-create all the playlists and setting already established. If a "restore of settings" backup prevents this work, I have no clue how to execute. This site, while the sound quality is excellent, is a major challenge for me. Thank you for your continued help.

JohnnyFire

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 07:48:44 pm »

Gents; thank you both but A) Alt, V did not work. There was no drop down. B) Is there anything else I can do short of re-installing the application? It would be a major headache to re-create all the playlists and setting already established. If a "restore of settings" backup prevents this work, I have no clue how to execute. This site, while the sound quality is excellent, is a major challenge for me. Thank you for your continued help.

its not the apps fault you just need some time to learn and use the app that just all!

anything you need you can ask!

tkozakis

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 07:56:01 pm »

And I'm asking. Is there anything else I can do short of re-installing?

jctcom

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 09:14:03 pm »

As far as I understand MC automatically creates backups at certain times?  I am not sure exactly how or where they are stored but perhaps someone else here can answer that part of the question.

Also as far as the "Alt + V" are you sure MC had focus?  Click in the MC window somewhere to be sure it has focus and try it again just to be sure.

Something else you can try.   "Right" click on the topmost bar and see if you get an option to "Customize Toolbar".

If that does not appear then something is really messed up and a re-install / Restore might be in order.

Carl.

JohnnyFire

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 10:20:15 pm »

As far as I understand MC automatically creates backups at certain times?  I am not sure exactly how or where they are stored but perhaps someone else here can answer that part of the question.

Also as far as the "Alt + V" are you sure MC had focus?  Click in the MC window somewhere to be sure it has focus and try it again just to be sure.

Something else you can try.   "Right" click on the topmost bar and see if you get an option to "Customize Toolbar".

If that does not appear then something is really messed up and a re-install / Restore might be in order.

Carl.

indeed he can search the backup folder if a oldr backup exists!

tkozakis

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 08:14:58 am »

Carl.

Carl,

I was able to right click at the top of the page and Customize Toolbar did appear. All of the items (File, Edit, View, Help & Tools) are in the right hand column where they should be but have an "&" symbol in front of each. I then clicked "reset" at the top right of the box and selected "show text lables" then clicked done, but nothing happens. Tool bar still absent. Thank you. 

jctcom

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 11:08:23 am »

Well in that case I really think you are down to re-installing and re-storing from backup.

Unfortunately I long ago customized my backup location and no longer remember the default path.  Perhaps someone here can tell you the default path.  then you could check if there are backups there and re-install without worrying too much about being able to restore from the backups.

In order for them to do that you will probably need to tell us which operating system you are using?

Carl.

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 11:22:29 am »

How about this:

Overwrite your broken skin with the default skin's files.  Just copy all of the files from Noire into your new skin's directory.

If you overwrote Noire with your crazy changes, then copy another working skin in there instead:  Like Black on Black or something.  That should get you back up and running.

Brian.

tkozakis

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 12:00:25 pm »

I appreciate both of your responses, but I am not JRiver savy and have no idea how to do execute the steps necessary to do what you are suggesting. I'm not even sure how to re-install the program but concerned that if I do, all files could be lost. Not a good situation to be in. But thanks.

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 12:14:16 pm »

Ok, I'm confused.  I thought you had changed the skin files by editing them.

But re-reading I think maybe you applied some skin effects maybe?  What did you do?

Have you tried just clicking where the menus are supposed to be to see if you can make the menus come up?  Even if you can't see the titles of the menus you should be able to click on them.

Brian.

tkozakis

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 12:23:33 pm »

Brian,

I only applied skin effects ... I don't know enough to "edit skin files". Yes, I have tried many times to click where the menus should be, but NOTHING happens. I tried this many times before my first posting. Can you please just give me, in simple steps, how to RE-INSTALL JRiver? Or would that be too much for a novice? THANKS.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 12:24:27 pm »

Download MC from this site.  Then execute it to install.  No files will be lost.

blgentry

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 12:27:06 pm »

I don't know if re-installing resets skins and skin effects.  I would not expect it to actually.

I don't run MC under windows, so my experience with installing MC in windows is pretty limited.  If reinstalling, as Jim instructed, doesn't fix it, I hope someone else here can guide you to a solution.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up