INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Concert videos : Navigating chapters without interruption  (Read 4138 times)

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
Concert videos : Navigating chapters without interruption
« on: May 16, 2016, 07:47:16 am »

Don't get me wrong I use JRiver since years and love it. For Audio I guess it's a clear winner and nothing even comes close. For Video it unfortunately lacks some features. I would like only to address Music Videos. I have a huge video concert collection as this is the only thing (besides certain TV shows) which we watch over and over again. Now whilst for DVD it's mostly good, for Bluray (as the player doesn't support full menu support for obvious reasons and libbluray ala Kodi is not implemented - for another but less obvious reason) selecting chapters/songs is a pain.
Particles are not really straight forward and the most easiest way to achieve an easy browsable concert is a rip to MKV. MKV allows to rename the chapters. In 95% of the concerts, chapters = individual songs.
Now let's have a look at the players.
1. In JRiver if I want to "jumpto" a certain song I have to right click and select chapters (jriver.jpg). This solution is of no use in theaterview as it is to small.

2 In JRiver this menu is also available in Theaterview (jriver2.jpg). How on earth do I get there from a running concert which actually is in display view ?? Can I get there without interrupting the running video. Even If I uncheck stop video when entering Theaterview it's not working.

3. Others...with one press of the bookmark/chapter button display this (kodi.jpg)

Now if somebody could tell me what I'm doing wrong regarding point 2 I would be glad if I could invoke the "playing now - player - jump to" window from a running display view.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Frustrating JRiver experience : Case Study - Concert videos
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 07:57:50 am »

Would particles for every song help?  This thread talks about a tool the author created for making particles automatically for concerts, etc:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100436.0

I don't currently use Theater View (because I use a Mac), but I have a (very) small collection of music concerts.  My solution was to make MKVs like you did. But then I used MKVToolNix to automatically break the big MKV file into individual MKV files at the chapter breaks.

So instead of having one file for each concert, I have 15, 20, 25 files; one for each song.  Tagging these wasn't too hard, but it did involve *some* manual effort like cutting and pasting the song names from an external web page into the meta data of each song in MC.

So my concert view shows me all of the songs, along with thumbnails, at the top level of each concert.  It's very easy to go directly to the song I want to hear.  Or I can just select to play all, and it will play each song sequentially.

I'm not saying this is "the answer" for you.  I'm just sharing my experience.  Good luck.

Brian.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 09:45:15 am »

I tried it...
I Could really never be won for the "particles" case
Call me spoiled but with particles I cannot select another song without interrupting the current one. Also the whole particle thing is certainly a brilliant piece of code but would it not be easier to "upgrade" the player OSD or switching displayview-theaterview mechanism (when playing back MKV) than use the particle solution ?

MakeMKV in 95% of the concerts has chapters=songs. You just need to rename it from Chapter 1, chapter 2 to the song name. It's clearly more straight forward than particles which needs chapter files or chapterdb etc..etc.. (this is certainly helpfull for movies but for concerts it's just too cumbersome).

It's even more frustrating because in the OSD you see the chapter names when playing an MKV with renamed chapters. Once you change chapters and the OSD displays the name you just screem why there's not a key up or key down somewhere which would display the complete chapter list in OSD style (during playback) from which you could select a chapter.

Could maybe as a quick fix a mcws / MCC command (enum 10013 is not working (or I maybe use the wrong)- enum 22001,2 brings me to list and not playing now) be added to enter directly on the (see above my attachments) jriver2.jpg screen from within a running concert which runs in fact in display view ? Or other way to ask: Could this particular theaterview page (the playing now) be called directly from within display view ?

In doing so when the "stop playback when entering theaterview" is unchecked there would be no interruption as in the playing now (jump to) theater view page the current display view screen is still displayed in reduced format.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 01:57:47 pm »

I Could really never be won for the "particles" case
Call me spoiled but with particles I cannot select another song without interrupting the current one.
Particles are just like any other file and can be added or selected without interrupting anything.

I love Chapterfy. One of the best plugins available! It makes creating chapters for concert Blu-rays so easy. It only takes a minute or two after ripping the Blu-ray concert to having it properly displayed in my library.

I use Blue Puzzle as the Theater View theme. Once you add a Concerts level to Videos, you get new theme art. I select a concert Blu-ray and then get a screen with either the Full Concert of songs. If I select Songs, then I get a list of all the songs, in track order, for that concert. It is super easy to add songs to a playlist.

Here is an example with a few of my concert Blu-rays.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Concert videos : Navigating chapters without interruption
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 02:11:31 pm »

2 In JRiver this menu is also available in Theaterview (jriver2.jpg). How on earth do I get there from a running concert which actually is in display view ?? Can I get there without interrupting the running video. Even If I uncheck stop video when entering Theaterview it's not working.
Press the Down Arrow while in Display View until you get to the Chapter menu. Arrow right or left to the chapter you want to play.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Concert videos : Navigating chapters without interruption
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 03:21:09 pm »

Thanks for the screenshots !

I have over 150 music concerts and I'll try particles once again...

My point still remains that it would be easier to have a JRiver player which is able to show a chapter list in its OSD (or the theaterview - playnow - player - jump to) list during playback than to be forced to turn single songs into individual files.

Of course I can skip from chapter to chapter with the OSD and I'll end up with the song I wanted...

Nevertheless your setup looks great
Pages: [1]   Go Up