INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Locate on disk bug  (Read 2652 times)

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
Locate on disk bug
« on: August 12, 2003, 03:07:31 pm »

When I select a song and click in "Locate/On Disc (external)" I get a message box saying "File 'F:\My Music\Queen - Made in heaven\' not found". The songs exist, and I can play them normally. It happens with every song.

I am using XP Professional, 256 MB, Spanish version, with all updates. My files are located in a external drive. I have not a CD writer.  

Omni

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Locate on disk bug
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 03:24:32 pm »

Maybe you can try copying just one of your tracks to a local hard drive (certainly you have space for at least one) and then importing it.  After importing it, trying finding it externally.

As I said in the other bug thread, this works fine for me, but I am not storing my tracks on removable media.  Maybe that's the difference.  <shrug>

Update:  Okay, I just tried the reverse.  I copied some MP3's out to my firewire drive.  I then imported the tracks into MC.  Went to the library, found the new entries, chose to locate external on of the tracks, and Windows Explorer popped up pointing the correct directory on my firewire drive.

Omni

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 03:50:46 pm »

Maybe you can try copying just one of your tracks to a local hard drive (certainly you have space for at least one) and then importing it.  After importing it, trying finding it externally.

I did what you suggested. And it did not worked.

I did some other test: My computer has 2 partitions, the other one runs over Windows 2000 Server (English). I installed MC on that partition. Using the very same library, I tried to locate externally a file. It worked.

One more test: I have another computer. It runs over Windows XP Profesional (Spanish). I installed MC on that computer, and I tried to localte externally a file. It worked.

Conclusions?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 03:57:19 pm »

Conclusions?

Maybe something else is different between the two OS's.

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2003, 04:21:05 pm »

Maybe something else is different between the two OS's.

Sure. They have very little in common.

I remembered something. I think I get it:

I installed Directory Opus in the Win XP partition, and it miserably steal many file associations (I said not to), and I get mad. So, after 10 minutes evaluation period, I uninstall Opus Director. Some files associations are still wrong. I can "explore" a folder, but I can't "open" it. I get an error message: "Windows does not find dopusrt.exe".

I don't know how to assoaciate folders with Windows Explorer. Any help appreciated.

Some one in this forum talked about the Directory Opus thing. He should know I've already called my lawyer.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2003, 04:24:53 pm »

Try taking a look at the file associations in Windows Explorer and see if you can find something that's associated with that file.

You could also try a search for that filename in the registry.

A google search might give you a link to someone else who has solved the same problem.

Good job finding that.  I hope it's the solution.

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2003, 04:59:37 pm »

Try taking a look at the file associations in Windows Explorer and see if you can find something that's associated with that file.

Yes, the "Folders" are still associated with Directory Opus, but Windows grayed the button to prevent changing that specific association.

You could also try a search for that filename in the registry.

Good idea!

I find it under the key...

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open\command

After checking the other computer, I've found the correct value should be:

%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /idlist,%I,%L

I also needed to fix:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open\ddeexec

Good job finding that.  I hope it's the solution.

Yes. It was the solution. I can open a folder. And MC can locate externally.

Thank you, JimH!

PS: I talked to early when I said my machine had not anything special  ;D

Omni

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2003, 06:30:50 pm »

I installed Directory Opus in the Win XP partition, ...

Some one in this forum talked about the Directory Opus thing. He should know I've already called my lawyer.

I think it was Nila who recommended it, and I can't thank him enough!  I haven't used Windows Explorer for two weeks now, and I'm never going back.

I'm glad Jim helped you solve your problem, but for any future reader of this thread who doesn't like to perform registry hacks:

• Directory Opus will only take over Windows Explorer if you tell it to do so, and at any time you can switch back via the Options/Preferences menu
  • If you forgot to unassociate it before uninstalling, just reinstall, turn it off, and uninstall (I haven't personally tested this, but it should work)

Omni

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2003, 12:12:12 am »

I think it was Nila

The law should be equal for everyone.   :P

Directory Opus will only take over Windows Explorer if you tell it to do so, and at any time you can switch back via the Options/Preferences menu

I didnt tell it to do so. It asked me during installation and I said "No". However, I think I mess it up when applying sime kind of default theme. I thought it was just a visualization election (like a skin), but I guess it applied a default configuration.

I tried to undo it, and I was not able to figure out how to do it. Upset, I uninstalled.

Anyway, probably it is a good program, but it needs a power machine. It was too slow to load in my PIII 1.1GH 256 MB machine.

If you forgot to unassociate it before uninstalling

I didnt forget. i uninstall trying to unassociate. Directory Opus should unassociate it by itself. It didnt take me some wierd file association, it took me the folder's! You can guess the big impact this can represent.

By the way, Does MC uninstall properly? Does it clean registry? Does it return assoaciations? Does it clean Program files?

nila

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2003, 02:54:56 am »

I did recommend it - someone else recommended it to me as well previously so shoot them not me - I'm innocent!! :)

I LOVE it - much better than explorer except for an annoying bug that a lot of the time you cant delete folders from the tree - they have to be in the right hand pane - grrr.

Ur right thou - an uninstall should also totally disassociated any old associations, especially ones as core as Explorer.

Omni

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2003, 12:00:50 pm »

I tried to undo it, and I was not able to figure out how to do it. Upset, I uninstalled.

In fairness, you have to admit this is not really the fault of Directory Opus. ;)

Under Preferences-->Miscellaneous, there is an option right there on top that reads:  "Make Directory Opus the default handler for folders (Explorer Replacement mode)."

I empathize with your frustration.  I really do.  I just don't think it is fair to blame a program for something that is out of its control.

I didnt forget. i uninstall trying to unassociate. Directory Opus should unassociate it by itself. It didnt take me some wierd file association, it took me the folder's! You can guess the big impact this can represent.

Your testimony caused me concern, so I tested it out.  I don't know.  I just think your machine must be "special" in some way, shape, or form.  I was able to unassociate everything without any problems.  And to top it off, after I unassociated it, MC's "locate external" command still worked fine, unlike with your system. <shrug>

Omni

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2003, 12:37:42 pm »

I installed it. I let it replace Explorer. I hated it, so I uninstalled it.

Everything works fine.

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2003, 02:05:30 pm »

In fairness, you have to admit this is not really the fault of Directory Opus. ;)

Under Preferences-->Miscellaneous, there is an option right there on top that reads:  "Make Directory Opus the default handler for folders (Explorer Replacement mode)."

Wow! It was under Miscellaneous! I thought Directory Opus main goal was to replace Explorer in your computer. Do you think putting that crucial option under Miscellaneous makes any sense? Well...

I empathize with your frustration.  I really do.  I just don't think it is fair to blame a program for something that is out of its control.

Your testimony caused me concern, so I tested it out.  I don't know.  I just think your machine must be "special" in some way, shape, or form.  I was able to unassociate everything without any problems.  

Your interest also touched me. So I tried to reinstall and uninstall. And now it worked.

And I reinstall and uninstall again. And it worked again.

Once more. It worked.

However, now Directory Opus is ignoring my installation decision. It does not matter I let it handle folders or not. It always replace Explorer. Fortunately, it unassociate when uninstalling.

Well, I guess first time I should not uninstall dropping Directory Opus folder into de recycle bin...  ;D  ;D

(just kidding)
Pages: [1]   Go Up