INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movie Folder with 2 films inside, help?  (Read 3967 times)

murray

• Citizen of the Universe
Movie Folder with 2 films inside, help?
« on: May 17, 2016, 03:19:45 am »

I was wondering were all my film remakes were going, then to discover all the films that have been remade end up in the one folder.

e.g.
Thomas Crown Affair was made twice but there is only one folder both films are in it.
The Revenant was made twice but both my copies are in the same one single folder...

How can I get these to display in there own separate folders with there own separate cover art?

CountryBumkin

Re: Movie Folder with 2 films inside, help?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 06:23:05 am »

What do you mean by "Remake"?
MC doesn't copy or create movie files by itself. It only saves the path/location and metadata for each file in the Library.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 06:48:30 am »

I have hundreds of movies in the same folder.  MC keeps track of them all separately.

Maybe post a screen shot of a folder listing and your MC listing and show us what you are experiencing.

Brian.

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 03:03:13 pm »

My guess is you are talking about movies that were done in multiple versions, in the 60's-70's and then much later, or first in a foreign version then an americanized.  Examples are:
- The Italian Job
- Point Break
- The Thomas Crown Affair
- Nikita / La Femme Nikita

Your "The Thomas Crown Affair" would have a second copy "The Thomas Crown Affair (1)".
What you probably want is to keep them in different folders, with different covers / descriptions and tags.

You could do this:
- select the older one (you may have to play it to detect the right one)
- rename it "The Thomas Crown Affair (1968)"
- right click it and "Get Movies and TV Info" to populate the tags / cover image
- select the newer one
- rename it "The Thomas Crown Affair (1999)"
- right click it and "Get Movies and TV Info" to populate the tags / cover image
- select the two films
- Press F6 or right click on one of them then Library Tools / Rename, Move & Copy Files (often referred here as RMCF)
- Within the RMCF window that pops up, select "Rename (moves files if directory changes)
- Check the Directories box (no change to the folders if unchecked), and Browse to the base path for your movies
- In the Directories Rule box, enter how the subfolder should be built.  For movies, [Name] is typical.  For music, 2 levels, like [Artist]\[Album] would be typical
- Check the Filename box (no change to the filename if unchecked)
- In the Filename Rule box, enter how the filename should be built.  For movies, [Name] is typical.  For music, [Track #] - [Name] may be typical.
- You have a preview of the folder/filename changes on the right.
- Click OK to proceed with the file/directories renaming

You will end up with separate folders, names, descriptions and cover images.

RMCF is extremely powerful.  
The corolary is that you can do a lot of damage quickly !
Two rules of thumb:
- practice on a small number of files at a time, until you are confortable with the command you want to do
- Ctrl-Z is Undo, do it immediately if not satisfied with the result of your RMCF.

RMCF can be used to clean up your media collection structure at the folder and filename level.

The "Update database to point to new location" option of RMCF is wonderful when you externally copy your media files to a bigger disk or different server / NAS, keeping all tags intact, including "last played".  This is much better than deleting and re-importing the files.

"Copy" and "Copy and update database" aspects of RMCF have their own uses.  Read on them.

Cheers.

murray

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 03:44:51 pm »

What do you mean by "Remake"?
MC doesn't copy or create movie files by itself. It only saves the path/location and metadata for each file in the Library.

Many films have been remade over history
Ben Hur (silent)
Ben Hur (sound)

there are hundreds like this...

murray

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 03:47:56 pm »

I have hundreds of movies in the same folder.  MC keeps track of them all separately.

Maybe post a screen shot of a folder listing and your MC listing and show us what you are experiencing.

Brian.

I have 800 BDs, they all sit in there own individual folders that I create for each. Film name and date made.

All the film remakes I have sit in one only folder even though the dates on both films are labelled different by me.
I want these remakes sitting in separate folders as they do on my Nas, JR is somehow putting the remakes in one only folder.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 03:53:28 pm »

All the film remakes I have sit in one only folder even though the dates on both films are labelled different by me.
I want these remakes sitting in separate folders as they do on my Nas, JR is somehow putting the remakes in one only folder.

I think we have a terminology problem here that's throwing me for a loop; it might also be confusing other people.   When you say "JR is putting movies in folders", you don't mean folders on the hard drive do you?  You mean something visual on screen in MC's interface right?  If so, could you post a screen shot of the view, or views within MC that show what you see?  An example of what you like and what you don't like would be helpful.  From there we can probably help you configure your views to look the way you want.

Brian.

murray

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 03:58:18 pm »

My guess is you are talking about movies that were done in multiple versions, in the 60's-70's and then much later, or first in a foreign version then an americanized.  Examples are:
- The Italian Job
- Point Break
- The Thomas Crown Affair
- Nikita / La Femme Nikita

Your "The Thomas Crown Affair" would have a second copy "The Thomas Crown Affair (1)".
What you probably want is to keep them in different folders, with different covers / descriptions and tags.

You could do this:
- select the older one (you may have to play it to detect the right one)
- rename it "The Thomas Crown Affair (1968)"
- select the newer one
- rename it "The Thomas Crown Affair (1999)"
- select the two films
- Press F6 or right click on one of them then Library Tools / Rename, Move & Copy Files (often referred here as RMCF)
- Within the RMCF window that pops up, select "Rename (moves files if directory changes)
- Check the Directories box (no change to the folders if unchecked), and Browse to the base path for your movies
- In the Directories Rule box, enter how the subfolder should be built.  For movies, [Name] is typical.  For music, 2 levels, like [Artist]\[Album] would be typical
- Check the Filename box (no change to the filename if unchecked)
- In the Filename Rule box, enter how the filename should be built.  For movies, [Name] is typical.  For music, [Track #] - [Name] may be typical.
- You have a preview of the folder/filename changes on the right.
- Click OK to proceed with the file/directories renaming

You will end up with separate folders, names, descriptions and cover images.

RMCF is extremely powerful.  
The corolary is that you can do a lot of damage quickly !
Two rules of thumb:
- practice on a small number of files at a time, until you are confortable with the command you want to do
- Ctrl-Z is Undo, do it immediately if not satisfied with the result of your RMCF.

RMCF can be used to clean up your media collection structure at the folder and filename level.

The "Update database to point to new location" option of RMCF is wonderful when you externally copy your media files to a bigger disk or different server / NAS, keeping all tags intact, including "last played".  This is much better than deleting and re-importing the files.

"Copy" and "Copy and update database" aspects of RMCF have their own uses.  Read on them.

Cheers.

I think you are onto it!

I am talking about films that have been remade over time.

I label every film with the name and date, e.g. this is whats showing on my Nas for these two:
The Thomas Crown Affair (1968)
The Thomas Crown Affair (1999)

When I was using Kodi it always separated the titles and showed them twice with different posters in the wall.
With JR it doesn't scrap that way and separate by the dates, its popping both under one poster which I have to open up then the two films are sitting inside with the different posters.
I want them to show in the wall as two separate films like I had in Kodi.

Is there not an automatic way I cant set this up for Importing?
You way seems very involved and risky  :(

Its very confusing with remakes in the one folder, I thought I had lost many films....

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 04:10:25 pm »

Is there not an automatic way I cant set this up for Importing?

Yes, just make sure new movies do not have the exact same name of an existing one (in your collection) at the time you import them  ;D

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 04:20:33 pm »

I label every film with the name and date, e.g. this is whats showing on my Nas for these two:
The Thomas Crown Affair (1968)
The Thomas Crown Affair (1999)

Are those folder names, or file names?  I think MC is smart enough to get the right metadata if the year is in the file name as you have typed above.

It's possible you might need to do "Get Movie and TV info" on the "alternate version" of each of these movies and pick the version that has the correct year.  About how many of these duplicates do you have?  A dozen?  A hundred?

Brian.

RD James

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 04:23:42 pm »

I set up my views to use FirstNotEmpty([Series], [Name]) instead of [Name]
Then I just add a series tag if applicable and JRiver handles it automatically.

murray

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 04:38:57 pm »

I think we have a terminology problem here that's throwing me for a loop; it might also be confusing other people.   When you say "JR is putting movies in folders", you don't mean folders on the hard drive do you?  You mean something visual on screen in MC's interface right?  If so, could you post a screen shot of the view, or views within MC that show what you see?  An example of what you like and what you don't like would be helpful.  From there we can probably help you configure your views to look the way you want.

Brian.

I use Tiny Media Manager first before I open JR. I use this as most auto scrapers don't find some of my obscure titles I buy. This way I can select the poster and fanart I want easily from my PC in the office without sorting through posters/fanart etc etc in JR. When I open JR everything I selected appears in JR after it auto imports... Also I have a backup of my 800+ titles. I lost all this years ago when Kodi crashed, now Im safe....

Here is the image of two titles in the one folder, I have them named as all the remakes I have "name (date)"
Pages: [1]   Go Up