INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sync libraries of two separate media collections  (Read 3329 times)

Gaff_l

• Recent member
Sync libraries of two separate media collections
« on: May 16, 2016, 02:23:34 am »

I feel this would be a frequently asked question but, despite numerous search attempts over the months, I've found nothing that really applies.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
I want to be able to sync the libraries of two separate media collections, which are essentially copies of each other.

I have an HTPC with MC21 library on my home network connected to a NAS with 2+TB files, mostly audio, some video.
I also have a laptop with a separate MC21 library connected to a 4TB external HDD.

The laptop/external HDD is used for three purposes.
1. Download and/or playing of music when I'm not at home
2. Management of the library (e.g. updating tags, getting correct cover art etc).
    This is more frequent than managing the HTPC library - quicker and easier for me.
3. Offsite backup for the NAS media.

On a regular basis I synchronise the media on the NAS and 4TB drive using a terrific utility called AJC Sync.

The problem is, after syncing, the files are identical but any files that don't accept normal tagging (e.g. like .dff files purchased from Channel Classics) don't carry the changes across to the HTPC library (or vice versa if I've made the changes on the HTPC).

I'm not sure how to go about syncing the libraries.
This is not a client/server relationship between the HTPC and laptop. The two sets of media are kept separate for backup purposes but the libraries really should be identical.

Any tips gratefully received, thanks!

BillT

• World Citizen
Re: Sync libraries of two separate media collections
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 05:33:26 am »

You need to backup the JRiver library as well. If you haven't moved it to somewhere sensible it will probably be in C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center nn\Library. I just copy the entire Library folder.

You'll probably also want to copy the Cover art directory as well.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 06:38:34 am »

If the configurations are identical with respect to path, then you could probably backup on one PC and restore on the other.

The wiki has a topic called moving files.  Some of it might help.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 09:46:06 am »

As an aside, I use Vinyl Studio to convert dff files to dsd files. It does it without going through a PCM conversion. The only difference between dff and dsd files is the header, so the main body of the file is unchanged in the conversion. VS is only $29 so it may be worth it to you to get it just to convert your files. There is a trial version available. Given how easy it is to do the conversion, it would be a nice addition to MC.

Gaff_l

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 01:02:39 am »

You need to backup the JRiver library as well. If you haven't moved it to somewhere sensible it will probably be in C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center nn\Library. I just copy the entire Library folder.

You'll probably also want to copy the Cover art directory as well.

Thanks for your suggestion Bill. I have been doing that. After having had a PC stolen with many years of work history on it, I'm a bit paranoid about backups!

Gaff_l

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 01:29:41 am »

If the configurations are identical with respect to path, then you could probably backup on one PC and restore on the other.

The wiki has a topic called moving files.  Some of it might help.

Thanks, Jim
I did try that previously and it worked after a fashion. The main problems are that if I change tags on both systems, one of them get's overwritten and, for some reason, it seemed to result in some items not picking up the cover art correctly. I'll have a look at the moving files topic to see if it sheds any light.

Gaff_l

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 01:33:19 am »

As an aside, I use Vinyl Studio to convert dff files to dsd files. It does it without going through a PCM conversion. The only difference between dff and dsd files is the header, so the main body of the file is unchanged in the conversion. VS is only $29 so it may be worth it to you to get it just to convert your files. There is a trial version available. Given how easy it is to do the conversion, it would be a nice addition to MC.

Thanks for the tip, dtc. I'll give it a go.
I have had problems with clicks at the start of tracks when I've done dff to dsf conversions, but that could be down to my headphone dac (iFi iDSD  Micro).
Have you had any issues like that?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 06:34:44 am »

I have not had that problem, but I have not converted that many either. You can try the free trial and see how it goes. As always, it takes a little to get use to the software, but you can give it a try for free. Let me know if you have any questions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up