INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Id brings up albums but skips through song files  (Read 6175 times)

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
Id brings up albums but skips through song files
« on: May 18, 2016, 10:09:41 am »

I am setting up my Id as a remote music player (only) at this time (not a server).  It is receiving music files from my main MC software, which is taking its commands from an Android tablet with MC Remote. I am using the DAC in an OPPO BDP-105 via a USB connection in my main listening area, and the OPPO 105 is connected to my router by wire.  In my remote Id area, the Id is connected to the DAC in an OPPO HA-1. When I shut down my Id for the day, I make sure I have the "Playing Now" section of my Id Tree  set to "Player," and the "Playing From.." section set to "MC Main Library," my "MAIN" PC MC library."

My question: Just yesterday the when I begin to select albums and songs from the MAIN library via my ANDROID tablet and sending them to the Id for playback, the correct album came up on a monitor connected to the Id.  The correct song shows briefly -- then -- no sound, and the software quickly seems to cycle through each song on the album (I can see this on the monitor) without playing. (?)

(I don't know whether this is relevant...) Previously I experimented with adding an additional library housed on the Id which now has 12 albums.  Jim advised me to hide it (not delete).  I did that on my Main MC software; the Id software will not allow me to hide that library (greyed out).
(Also perhaps not relevant...)  from time to time the OPPO BDP-105 name pops up on the "Playing From" Screen. Within the Oppo I do have a piece of software that Oppo developed as a very simple music server -- which I have not been using since MC came onboard.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Id brings up albums but skips through song files
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 10:26:04 am »

I am setting up my Id as a remote music player (only) at this time (not a server).  It is receiving music files from my main MC software, which is taking its commands from an Android tablet with MC Remote. I am using the DAC in an OPPO BDP-105 via a USB connection in my main listening area, and the OPPO 105 is connected to my router by wire.  In my remote Id area, the Id is connected to the DAC in an OPPO HA-1. When I shut down my Id for the day, I make sure I have the "Playing Now" section of my Id Tree  set to "Player," and the "Playing From.." section set to "MC Main Library," my "MAIN" PC MC library."

My question: Just yesterday the when I begin to select albums and songs from the MAIN library via my ANDROID tablet and sending them to the Id for playback, the correct album came up on a monitor connected to the Id.  The correct song shows briefly -- then -- no sound, and the software quickly seems to cycle through each song on the album (I can see this on the monitor) without playing. (?)

(I don't know whether this is relevant...) Previously I experimented with adding an additional library housed on the Id which now has 12 albums.  Jim advised me to hide it (not delete).  I did that on my Main MC software; the Id software will not allow me to hide that library (greyed out).
(Also perhaps not relevant...)  from time to time the OPPO BDP-105 name pops up on the "Playing From" Screen. Within the Oppo I do have a piece of software that Oppo developed as a very simple music server -- which I have not been using since MC came onboard.

Thanks for the detailed description, I see that this is what you were referring to in your other post. That's a complex setup that I'd like some help in unraveling.
When you are having trouble playing back a file:
The source file for the playback is on your main PC in Media Center.
The controller is Gizmo on the Android tablet. It's controlling the Main PC, not the Id?
The renderer is the Id.
The output device (I'm a bit unclear about this one) is a Oppo HA-1 connected via USB?

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 04:01:05 pm »

Hi Bob.  Thanks for digging deeper into this problem.  The song-skipping and Critical Error window I spoke about a few days ago has now disappeared, I believe partly due to some settings I may have changed on the Id software. But other problems persist. 
Overall,,I am trying to set up a system that will enable me to playback  (through my wired MAIN LIBRARY) music files stored on a (wired) NAS on either my main MC PC (and then on to a DAC in an OPPO BDP 105, or on a remote Id/Linux, connected via WIFI.
The “Controller” I am using is an ANDROID tablet with MC Remote.  Corrrect – I am not trying to control the Id through the tablet. Also correct -- I believe the correct term for the Id is a Renderer/Player. Yes, the output device for the Id is an OPPO HA-1 connected via USB.
There have been a variety of problems, some of which I believe I brought on myself earlier by trying to do more that described above. Since then, I have trying to simplify.  One of the recurring problems is that the MAIN PC and Id seem to only intermittently recognize each other at boot-up.
BTW -- Recently, I tried every conceivable sequence of boot-up between the two machines (and waiting in between) with no recognition.  At the time I was using a single set of a monitor and keyboard/mouse.  With both machines on (but not recognizing each other) I switch the monitor and keyboard leads from the PC to the Id and re-booted the Id – and the two machines immediately recognized each other!
I have always felt like 15 minutes over the phone with a person of your expertise could pinpoint and solve all problems, so I am including my mobile phone below.  However, I realize this runs “counter” to your business model and might in the long run create a major time-drain for MC.
EITHER WAY, THANKS!
Wayne
412 860-5700
P.S. One of the things I have failed to understand: The Wiki or installation instructions seem to request that you take the Access Key from the MAIN MC software and enter it into the Id MC – but it never says exactly where.  The Id MC generates its own Access Key.  Do I need to share one of the Keys in both software packages?  Earlier, I believe I was told in the Forum there was no need for this(?). 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 05:48:35 pm »

Hi Bob.  Thanks for digging deeper into this problem.  The song-skipping and Critical Error window I spoke about a few days ago has now disappeared, I believe partly due to some settings I may have changed on the Id software. But other problems persist. 
Overall,,I am trying to set up a system that will enable me to playback  (through my wired MAIN LIBRARY) music files stored on a (wired) NAS on either my main MC PC (and then on to a DAC in an OPPO BDP 105, or on a remote Id/Linux, connected via WIFI.
The “Controller” I am using is an ANDROID tablet with MC Remote.  Corrrect – I am not trying to control the Id through the tablet. Also correct -- I believe the correct term for the Id is a Renderer/Player. Yes, the output device for the Id is an OPPO HA-1 connected via USB.
There have been a variety of problems, some of which I believe I brought on myself earlier by trying to do more that described above. Since then, I have trying to simplify.  One of the recurring problems is that the MAIN PC and Id seem to only intermittently recognize each other at boot-up.
BTW -- Recently, I tried every conceivable sequence of boot-up between the two machines (and waiting in between) with no recognition.  At the time I was using a single set of a monitor and keyboard/mouse.  With both machines on (but not recognizing each other) I switch the monitor and keyboard leads from the PC to the Id and re-booted the Id – and the two machines immediately recognized each other!
I have always felt like 15 minutes over the phone with a person of your expertise could pinpoint and solve all problems, so I am including my mobile phone below.  However, I realize this runs “counter” to your business model and might in the long run create a major time-drain for MC.
EITHER WAY, THANKS!
Wayne
412 860-5700
P.S. One of the things I have failed to understand: The Wiki or installation instructions seem to request that you take the Access Key from the MAIN MC software and enter it into the Id MC – but it never says exactly where.  The Id MC generates its own Access Key.  Do I need to share one of the Keys in both software packages?  Earlier, I believe I was told in the Forum there was no need for this(?). 

Hi Wayne,

A few observations:

When the Id boots without a monitor it must be in the headless text mode. In that mode it should be seen on your MAIN MC PC just as easily as if it was in GUI mode. You can check on the Id status that way by using remote desktop or VNC to the Id.

Since the Id is wireless you might check your wireless router to see if there is an issue with multicast filtering being on.

You might also assign your Id a fixed lease of an IP address if the router allows it. You can get the Wireless MAC address of the Id by looking at Id menu option 11.

If I was configuring your setup with the Android tablet,  I'd talk directly to the Id to play the files that are on the NAS by mounting the NAS on the Id
and
talk to the MC PC to play the files on the NAS in the same manor instead of trying to configure the Id to get the files from the MAIN PC MC. There are limitations when you have 2 levels of indirection to get to the files using that method.

I'd also use Gizmo if you aren't already, it's free.

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 08:27:49 pm »

Thanks much.  I will try # 1 and #2 above first thing tomorrow.  Do I need specific software to use "remote desktop" or " VNC?"  Not familiar with either except when a remote tech at work has needed to see my desktop.  Also... I perhaps did not mention I have using JREMOTE on my tablet.  Do you recommend gizmo instead?

That "headless" mode requirement sounds like it might be at the heart of the immediate problem.

Also, thinking ahead.... for the tablet to source content from an Id-mounted NAS through commands directly to the Id ... does that mean the Id has to be designated as a "Server?"

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
Re: Continuation of Id recognition thread....
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 08:32:17 am »

Bob, ....Checking in again.  I tried going between boot up on the headless setting and GUI setting (with monitor attached) repeatedly, and both work!

So moving forward, please see my questions from last post re: software applications that allow remote desktop viewing.  (BTW, another forum member previously recommended "TeamViewer." -?) But regardless of the app I select, it (again) seems to me that using Windows on both the MAIN MC machine and Id might simplify things (?).  Would you recommend that or is it a toss-up?

Also, your suggestion re: using the tablet to give commands to the Id directly (rather than via the MAIN MC machine) seems right on target for what I want to achieve -- and I will try mounting the NAS drive on the Id this afternoon.  I assume -- with the help of a remote desktop app -- then that the NAS will appear as an Id Library on the Id Tree?  Are there any other changes in the Id settings I will need to make to make this work?

Thanks.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 03:57:10 pm »

Thanks much.  I will try # 1 and #2 above first thing tomorrow.  Do I need specific software to use "remote desktop" or " VNC?"  Not familiar with either except when a remote tech at work has needed to see my desktop.  Also... I perhaps did not mention I have using JREMOTE on my tablet.  Do you recommend gizmo instead?

That "headless" mode requirement sounds like it might be at the heart of the immediate problem.

Also, thinking ahead.... for the tablet to source content from an Id-mounted NAS through commands directly to the Id ... does that mean the Id has to be designated as a "Server?"
You don't need anything special to use remote desktop from Windows. You might have to download the client from MS (free). I've had it for so long I don't remember if it came bundled in the OS or not.
VNC is another free package. You can get several different builds. Some people use RealVNC, there are several others.

JRemote is great for an iDevice. Gizmo is the free choice for Android.

The Id basically already is a server. There's just nothing in it's library by default.

bob

• Administrator
Re: Continuation of Id recognition thread....
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 04:00:35 pm »

Bob, ....Checking in again.  I tried going between boot up on the headless setting and GUI setting (with monitor attached) repeatedly, and both work!

So moving forward, please see my questions from last post re: software applications that allow remote desktop viewing.  (BTW, another forum member previously recommended "TeamViewer." -?) But regardless of the app I select, it (again) seems to me that using Windows on both the MAIN MC machine and Id might simplify things (?).  Would you recommend that or is it a toss-up?

Also, your suggestion re: using the tablet to give commands to the Id directly (rather than via the MAIN MC machine) seems right on target for what I want to achieve -- and I will try mounting the NAS drive on the Id this afternoon.  I assume -- with the help of a remote desktop app -- then that the NAS will appear as an Id Library on the Id Tree?  Are there any other changes in the Id settings I will need to make to make this work?

Thanks.
You could use windows on the Id but unless you are doing images or complex video I don't think there is a particular reason to.

I wouldn't use the NAS library as a library under "Playing from .." rather use the Id's disk menu (option 20) to mount your NAS drive as a share the specify that directory under auto-import You might want to specify Read-Only if you don't want the Id messing with your file tags.

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 02:55:16 pm »

Hi Bob... I am back at solving this discussion..thanks much.  (Dont forget...I am trying to control all functions through my jriver remote android tablet...)

First - If I am successful in mounting my nas under the Id as a shared drive,  should the Id then show up as a second "Server" on jremote?  Otherwise how would jremote know which server it is sending commands to? It is not currently.

Second - I am trying to mount my NAS under Options 20.   Should list my nas as "//WDMYCLOUDEX2/music"  OR use the parenS () at both endS  OR  also include the "(Y:)" as I see it listed in my  Windows Computer network list?  I seemed to have tried all and cannot locate the drive.  I am also choosing RO, "located on a windows computer" (I have tried both yes and no), and said "yes" to guest user. (?).

The rest of the system using my main library through the Id seems to be working fine.  But I assume you are are advising this approach in essentially making making the Id a "self contained" Server that iS I dependent of the main library (?).

Wayne

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 03:10:02 pm »

Bob...

Btw, as per advice from the forum earlier ( to help me simplify my system) in the Id media network "Advanced"  settings... I currently have ONLY "DLNA Renderer" checked.

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 09:40:52 am »

Bob --In my 2:55 pm post yesterday (below) --  I meant to say "INDEPENDENT ... of the Main Library"   (Sorry for the typo!)

wayne

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 04:22:54 pm »

Bob --In my 2:55 pm post yesterday (below) --  I meant to say "INDEPENDENT ... of the Main Library"   (Sorry for the typo!)

wayne
Yes, your Id will be independent of the main PC library.
MC's not advertising it's presence without the DLNA server enabled HOWEVER it still can be reached via the Access key or IP (just tested this).
the example is

//mycomputer/share

where mycomputer is either the network name of your NAS or the IP address and /share replaced by the directory on the NAS you want mounted.
Look at the NAS from a PC or Mac as a network device (not media device) and you should be able to see get the path to your music directory. If you see it as Y: something that means you've mapped it as a network drive. Look at the properties to see the map assignment.

Pages: [1]   Go Up