INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Bluetooth audio for video  (Read 4288 times)

edbro

• Citizen of the Universe
No Bluetooth audio for video
« on: May 19, 2016, 07:59:41 am »

I am trying to stream audio to my bluetooth speaker while viewing video but I'm getting no sound. Bluetooth audio works fine for music files. Video sound output is fine when not connected to bluetooth. As soon as I connect to the speaker I lose audio. When I look at the audio path MC reports that it is not using JR audio engine.

I know this is just some configuration issue so if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

blgentry

Re: No Bluetooth audio for video
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 08:14:40 am »

What happens when you try to play?  Error message?

I think you probably need to set up the bluetooth device specifically in MC as a sound output and then perhaps change the DSP studio to resample.  But I'm not sure.  I've never used a bluetooth speaker with my Mac.

More info would help.

Thanks,

Brian.

edbro

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 08:19:29 am »

No, no error message. Just no sound.

I don't know how to set up the device. Like I said, it works fine for audio files so, I have to assume the device is set up okay.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 08:31:19 am »

To be clear, bluetooth works fine for audio played from MC?

I would still try setting it up explicitly:

Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device > (Select the bluetooth device by name here)

Then stop and restart MC and see if it plays audio and/or video.

Brian.

edbro

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 08:33:18 am »

Thanks, I'll give that a try this evening.

edbro

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 05:46:19 pm »

I configured the device (Bose Mini-Soundlink 2) in MC. That didn't make a difference. I restarted MC and tried to play the video using my BT speaker. Still no sound. The audio path still says "not using JRiver audio engine".  When I’m not connected to my BT speaker the audio path says “48kHz 32 bit 2ch from source format aac”.

Surely, I'm not the only person trying to output audio from a video file to a BT speaker. What am I doing wrong? None of my video files stream audio to BT. I've tried avi, mp4 and mkv files. These same files will play fine and output to BT when using VLC on this same Macbook.

Just for grins, I checked the audio path while streaming a music file to my speaker. It said "44.1kHz 2ch from source format m4a". I also tried video from connected media in MC. Youtube worked fine with good audio.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 05:55:01 pm »

The audio path still says "not using JRiver audio engine".  When I’m not connected to my BT speaker the audio path says “48kHz 32 bit 2ch from source format aac”.

Does it say that under Input or Output?  Does the middle show anything?

I'm guessing this has something to do with the fact that video is usually 5.1 and audio is 2 channel.  Let's configure the DSP to make sure everything gets converted to 2 channel:

Player > DSP Studio > Output Format > (Checked)
Player > DSP Studio > Output Format > Channels > 2 channels
Player > DSP Studio > Output Format > Mixing > JRSS Mixing

Then stop playback and try a video file again.

Brian.

edbro

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 06:31:52 pm »

It says that under Input.

My DSP was already configured they way you described. That must be the default as I've never been in there before.

I did find a couple of videos that would stream to BT. They both showed under input as "44.1kHz 32 bit 1ch from source format aac". Then it says it was converting from 1ch to 2 channels. I also found a source video that was 44.1kHz 6ch and that also played fine. That one showed MC was converting from 6ch to 2ch. None of my 2ch source videos will stream the audio.

The other variation besides the number of channels in the source is the bitrate. Does 44.1 vs 48 make a difference?

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 06:51:29 pm »

It sounds like the Bose BT device will not play 48kHz audio, but will play 44.1 kHz.  Let's configure the DSP to convert that for you:

Player > DSP Studio > Output Format > Sample Rate

Right click in the "output" column where it shows all of the different sample rates.  Select "set all to 44,100 Hz" .  Confirm that happened.  Close DSP Studio.  Stop playback and try playing a video again.

Maybe we've got it this time!  :)

Brian.

edbro

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 07:02:08 pm »

Bingo! That works great and I'm back in business. Thank you very much for your help.

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 07:09:11 pm »

"I love it when a plan comes together."

:)  Glad we got this one figured out.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up