INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 21 (mac) Hanging Up  (Read 2177 times)

keisele81

• Recent member
MC 21 (mac) Hanging Up
« on: May 19, 2016, 09:36:59 pm »

I am using a trial version of MC 21 on a brand new Macbook, wirelessly connected to my network, to a Synology 1815+ Discstation.  This is all the HW -- I'm just using MC21 for organizing a large music library stored on my NAS.  I don't have any anti-virus installed.

I'm deleting duplicate files, updating cover art, and making various tag changes.  All was well for 2 weeks or so.  Now MC is consistently hanging up for minutes at a time, where I get the spinning rainbow wheel.  I can't go for five minutes without a hangup lasting 15-100+ seconds.  Prior to my mac I had the same setup for months with an old Dell laptop and the PC MC21 without any problems -- just occasional pauses of a few seconds.  And I have no other network or NAS issues.

I attached three files:

1.  Long Log.txt: A long log file that captured several of the hangups.  This was with v.80.  Then I reset the log.

2.  SysInfo, ForceQuit.....: Following troubleshooting instructions, I went to get my system info (Help>System Info) and discovered that this caused an immediate hangup.  I left it go for minutes and then did a force quit.  This hangup locked up my entire mac; other hangups (deleting, cover art, tagging) only hung up MC21.  Then I saw a v.83 was available.  I installed v.83 and was able to cause another hangup trying to get system info, requiring a force quit.  Then I reset the log.

3.  The zip file generated by MC21 by getting a report from the log menu, after triggering another hangup trying to  get system info.

Along the way I unchecked the run auto import in background box, as suggested in a post.

I'd appreciate any insights you can get from the logs.

Kent

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 21 (mac) Hanging Up
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 07:04:37 am »

Turn off auto import and audio analysis.

The wireless LAN is probably not fast enough to keep up with a lot of file reads and writes.

Ethernet over Powerline adaptors would be faster.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 07:14:04 am »

The log.zip file you've attached appears to be incomplete.  There is no "previous log.txt", which is usually where all of the information is.  Previous log is the stuff that happened before a crash.

The long log has some info in it for sure, but I don't know enough to know what's relevant in this case.  I'm totally guessing, but I see several of these lines, which might be relevant:

0003459: 1927012352: Handheld: CHHManagerMap::LoadDevices: Creating manager for: IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/XHC1@14/XHC1@14000000/SSP1@14500000/USB3.0 Hub             @14500000/AppleUSB30Hub@14500000/AppleUSB30HubPort@14540000/DT microDuo 3C@14540000/IOUSBHostInterface@0/IOUSBMassStorageInterfaceNub/IOUSBMassStorageDriverNub/IOUSBMassStorageDriver/IOSCSILogicalUnitNub@0/IOSCSIPeripheralDeviceType00/IOBlockStorageServices

So something called "DT microDuo" is being detected as a handheld device.  This type of USB detection seems like it might hang up the interface.  Do you have any peripherals plugged in which might appear like portable hard drives or handheld music players?

Brian.

keisele81

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 05:10:19 pm »

Thank you for the assistance.  I've spent the day trying to narrow this down.

The network is the primary suspect.  I have a usb c to ethernet connector arriving tomorrow so I can test both a full ethernet and ethernet to Powerline connection (usb c is the only port on a Macbook).  "DT microDuo" is a usb c & usb 3.0 flash drive that I connected two weeks ago to test it; it's been disconnected since then.  Seems odd that it would make it into the log file.  I confirmed that audio analysis and auto import are off.  My wireless router is a top-end model less than a year old.

I've been working on my music library today, with occasional hangups.  What seems strange to me is that I can change many files with no delay, and then do a smaller, simpler change and get a delay of 10-20 secs.

I've attached the log file from today's work if you are curious.  This time it should be complete as it is a direct MC export rather than the cut and paste I did last time.  I should have more info by Monday.

Kent

Kent

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 10:11:47 am »

The microduo line in the log file might not really mean anything.  Anything pertinent to your problem I mean.  I see three entries for it in both Log.txt and Previous Log.txt . 

Your log files both seem to end normally.  Honestly, I think this one might be a little beyond me.  I'm not all that skilled at reading log files.  I only know a few things to look for.

Maybe someone else will look at these and have a better idea.

Good luck.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up