INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Analysis on Import or only just ripping  (Read 4181 times)

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
Audio Analysis on Import or only just ripping
« on: May 20, 2016, 04:18:30 pm »

Hi all,

It seems when I import digital audio files into MC, it does not automatically perform analysis. When I rip from a CD, it does (I'll have to recheck to make sure).

The only option I saw was for analysis on ripping, and that is checked.

I have not used the auto-import option in a while since it started giving me trouble (although I should try that again, seeing as some fixes were introduced).

I am manually importing files (invoking the command to import a specific folder) and then finding the files require analysis, which I do manually.

Is this the way MC is designed? No analysis on manual import? (only when auto-import is selected?)

If so, we can also allow for auto-analysis on any type of import?

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Audio Analysis on Import or only just ripping
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 05:09:34 pm »

If you want MC to do an auto-analysis you need to import into a folder that is "watched".

You go to Tools>Options>Library & Folders>Configure Auto Import. The you add the folder(s) you want to have watched. In the Tasks Window below you check off what you want to happen when a new file is added to a watched folder (such as perform "Audio Analysis", "Get Cover Art", etc.

Foe each folder that you add to the watch list, you can then "edit" the folder so as to only import Video or only Audio, or apply Tags, etc.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 05:27:44 pm »

Thanks, CountryBumkin.

I had to turn off auto-import (watching a folder) because it caused MC to hang on exit. So, I went to manually importing when I added files.
(As said, I should try auto-import again and see if it now works).

My question is whether analyze is done on any import even manually invoked (or only on auto-import/ watched folders). I think not, but that is what I want to check. Otherwise, I have to manually import and then manually analyze. Thus, my request.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 07:59:06 pm »

Audio Analysis is only done on a manual import if you are importing into a watched folder. Otherwise you would need to import the file, click on it to select it, then manually select "Tools>import folder" or select the file and right click on it and select "Library Tools>Analyze Audio" one file at time (or "lasso" a couple of files at a time and due small batches of file analyses).

If the previous method was hanging on you it is most likely because the Audio Analysis was getting hung up on one (or a couple of) specific file in the imported batch. I believe JRiver is working on a way to better sort out these bad files that cause the program to hang up.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 08:08:41 pm »

I'm not sure if it's clear to the OP:

You can have auto-import turned off, but still run "auto import" on demand.  So, you put some files and/or folders into an auto import watched folder.  But nothing happens because auto import is turned off.  So, whenever you want to, you do:  Tools > Import > Run auto import now .  Then MC will look in all of your auto import folders and run as you'd expect *including* doing audio analysis if you have it selected in the auto import options.

So this is sort of the best of both worlds.  It will use your options, but should not hang on exit, because auto import is not running persistently; it's only running when you explicitly tell it to.

Brian.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 08:14:05 pm »

you can also customize your tool bar and add "Run Auto-Import Now" that way you don't have to go searching for it!
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 01:00:27 am »

Thanks for the replies.

But what about when I select Tools | Import... | Import a Single Folder?
(And I do have this as an icon on the menu bar).

It seems if I select that option, and navigate to the folder I want to import, then no auto analysis is done.

~OHM~

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 09:26:25 am »

Thanks for the replies.

But what about when I select Tools | Import... | Import a Single Folder?
(And I do have this as an icon on the menu bar).

It seems if I select that option, and navigate to the folder I want to import, then no auto analysis is done.

Don't use single folder instead use the next option Configure Auto-Import this will give you the option to analyze the files on import, you can navigate to the folder of your choice....once done you could go back and remove that specific folder if you choose to. what say you!

I use tabs in MC the first tab is Modified to give me the "True CD Count" 2nd is Panes 3rd is my favorite Play List 4th is Recent Albums and so on ...in your case this would be the most important, here is where i go after importing new albums into a watched folder, once they appear here i select the first one while holding down the shift key to the last one of most recent import, then i right click and select analyze....I'm done.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 09:12:48 pm »

I have over 8000 mp3 files in several hundred folders. I rarely (anymore) import files or rip them from a CD. So what can I do to analyze my 8000 files without going through the "watched folder" scenario?
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3996
* Firefox 122; Thunderbird 115.6.1

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 10:03:26 pm »

Don't use single folder instead use the next option Configure Auto-Import this will give you the option to analyze the files on import, you can navigate to the folder of your choice....once done you could go back and remove that specific folder if you choose to. what say you!
Thanks, TAO.

I do understand I can do that. And I suppose I'll try auto-import again.

What I really want is that when I import a folder via the way I mentioned above, it would also include the Auto-Analyze function. It seems that should be pretty easy to implement.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 11:30:16 pm »

I have over 8000 mp3 files in several hundred folders. I rarely (anymore) import files or rip them from a CD. So what can I do to analyze my 8000 files without going through the "watched folder" scenario?
The way I've done it is to run the Smartlist entitled " Audio--Tasks--Needs Audio Analysis"

I then Shift-Select a couple of thousand (or hundred or whatever) of them, and select Tools | Advanced Tools | Analyze Audio...

I accept the defaults and let it run. Some people say it eats a lot of CPU, but my system handles two files at a time without a problem.

~OHM~

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 12:57:20 am »

Once you get them all analyzed your done with it. Choose what needs to get done go to work, go to the mall, go to bed. Be sure the Skip analyzed files is x"ed"

I have 309,714 files 24,507 albums 5,711 artists and went thru the Analyze function twice. Once with MC18 and then again with MC20 I believe it was when they changed to the R128...of course I probally had less at the time but that was a job....lol

I do understand I can do that. And I suppose I'll try auto-import again.

What I really want is that when I import a folder via the way I mentioned above, it would also include the Auto-Analyze function. It seems that should be pretty easy to implement.

I suppose there must be some kind of Expression Language that could be used....one of the Guru's will have to pipe in to help you with that. I hope you get it sorted out the way it works best for you. Good Luck!

Pages: [1]   Go Up