INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disc # in flac tag  (Read 2895 times)

Jay Freeman

• Recent member
Disc # in flac tag
« on: May 23, 2016, 12:02:57 pm »

I have some multi disc albums and my folder structure is this:

Artist/Year-AlbumName/CD1
Artist/Year-AlbumName/CD2

If the files are encoded as mp3 and the Disc # is filled in then JRiver identifies the disc as 1 and 2. However if the files are encoded as flac then JRiver doesn't see the disc #.

If I edit the tag inside JRiver the resulting flac is unchanged.

Is ths a bug?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Disc # in flac tag
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 12:07:27 pm »

I have a few albums that are multi-disc that are FLAC format.  For most of them, I encoded the disc numbers using external ripping software.  MC picked up these disc numbers without a problem.

Maybe the software you used to put the disc # in the files uses a different tag than MC is expecting?  Maybe try doing a tag dump to see what fields are actual inside the FLACs:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=57111.msg387329#msg387329

If your tags inside the FLACs are not changing, after being edited by JRiver, you probably don't have the option to write tags to files enabled.  That option is:

Tools > Options > General > Importing & Tagging > Update tags when file info changes

Brian.

Jay Freeman

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 03:20:19 pm »

Thanks for the tips, the setting to automatically tag files is already on. I've checked the flac tags and it seems that the disc # isn't being written by JRiver. Although in the UI the disc # does appear, however when I take my music to work on a portable drive all the disc #'s are lost on another instance of the software. I'll experiment with other tagging software to see if I can get the disc #'s embedded in the tags.

Jay Freeman

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 03:26:13 pm »

I'll check what exiftool claims when I'm in the office tomorrow too, that might shed some light

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 05:25:29 pm »

Please note that if you changed the setting to write tags *after* you wrote some of those tags, they won't be written.  Because the tags write as you change them.  So if the option was off, it never got the chance to write those tags.

But never fear, you can tell MC to explicitly write those tags any time you want.  (Select some files) > Right click > Library tools > update tags (from library) .  This will force MC to write the tags from it's internal library out to the files you have selected, into the file tags.

Brian.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 05:46:08 pm »

Just for a data point, I have hundreds of multi disc albums in FLAC and all the disc #'s work and are visible in other programs

Jay Freeman

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 03:42:32 am »

Please note that if you changed the setting to write tags *after* you wrote some of those tags, they won't be written.  Because the tags write as you change them.  So if the option was off, it never got the chance to write those tags.

But never fear, you can tell MC to explicitly write those tags any time you want.  (Select some files) > Right click > Library tools > update tags (from library) .  This will force MC to write the tags from it's internal library out to the files you have selected, into the file tags.

Brian.

Very strange, this setting was set the true before I started tagging my albums. I selected all the albums I had previously tagged and updated the tags (from library) and the metadata was successfully written. Thanks for your help, my OCD had got the better of me and I needed every album to be tagged perfectly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up