INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: questions about replay gain settings  (Read 994 times)

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
questions about replay gain settings
« on: August 12, 2003, 11:14:01 pm »

i am interested in what are the best settings for replay gain in MC9:

(i) firstly i would like to know why the default settings for replay gain in MC9 are so low, 83 db (or -17db) i think, as opposed to 89db in MP3 gain.  Not only are my recording levels on burning cds using replay gain very low, but the sound quality is reduced because the signal is pushed down relative to the noise level.

(ii) given that the replay gain settings are low, it is pleasing to find that there is a function within replay gain to set an overall gain setting to all files on burning a cd, so that the recording level is higher, and that there is also a function to calculate automatically what the best gain setting is for a given playlist, to maximise recording level without clipping.  when i apply this setting i typically get a setting of around +6db, bringing the db level of my files to around 89db (or -11db), even when all of the files have been reduced by 10db or more in the audio analysis process.  now i appreciate that i do not know much about clipping, but i would have thought that i should be able to push the signal higher, closer to 0db, without clipping.  should i not be able to boost the signal by 10db on tracks that have been reduced by this amount or more by audio analysis, without clipping?

(iii) say a track was reduced by 7db in audio analysis, and then i applied an overall gain setting of +7db.  would there be any processing of the file when i burn to cd, or will it just be left alone (i.e. will the two processes/calculations cancel each other out).  is there even any processing on a track that isn't boosted or reduced in audio analysis?

thanks for your help, nick...........
Pages: [1]   Go Up