INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't play iso movies  (Read 9320 times)

8139david

• Galactic Citizen
Can't play iso movies
« on: May 22, 2016, 11:30:45 am »

I have some dvds as an iso file.
JRiver doesn't succeed in reading them.
If I ask it to play an iso file, it just gets stuck trying to start.

NB: There is no problem reading other files, and the iso is easily read by VLC.
I am on Windows 8.1 Pro.
I'm using MadVR v0.90.18

What can I do?

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can't play iso movies
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 11:35:36 am »

Virtual Clone Drive works for me. https://www.elby.ch/en/products/vcd.html
Hit Play on the ISO and it gets auto-mounted.

I don't think that Windows' built-in ISO support works well with video discs.

8139david

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 11:39:28 am »

Thanks!
I was wondering if JRiver can do it all by itself.
Apparently not.
So if I want to use JRiver, I will first mount the iso with WinCDEmu: http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/
But I'll probably just stick with VLC since it's simpler (no need to mount the iso).
It would be great if JRiver could read iso files like VLC does.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 03:51:02 pm »

You need to go the Tools>Options>File Types and then for "Disk Image File: ISO,IMG, ..." if you use "automatic" it will mount with Virtual Clone Drive (which you would have previously installed), or change to "use external (custom)" and then provide the file path to the "iso mounting" program you want to use.

More here: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/ISO_Files

8139david

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 01:31:06 am »

Thanks! Now it works.
What you indicated is enough, there is no need to do the more complicated things indicated on the wiki.
The only thing is that "Data Support" must be enabled in Options > General > Features.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 06:49:41 am »

The only thing is that "Data Support" must be enabled in Options > General > Features.

Good catch.

elee532

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 07:04:26 am »

Pardon me for jumping in!

Does JRiver also play Bluray ISOs?

Will the library catalog DVD or Bluray ISOs?

Are Bluray or DVD menus supported when playing an ISO?

Can Bluray or DVD ISO playback be initiated and controlled via JRemote?

Thanks!

CountryBumkin

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 07:31:46 am »

JRiver does not support BD menus. So the best option, IMO, is to rip the "movie only" to mkv.

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 08:10:29 am »

IMHO ISO files are an anachronism:  They aren't terribly useful.  Unless you really, really love DVD menus.  I say rip them all to MKVs and never look back.  Bye bye encryption, bye bye slow menus, bye bye forced trailers, forced intros, etc.  Bye bye to all slow downs.  Now I just have the movie, which plays instantly on nearly any player.  Bonus:  MakeMKV reads ISO files directly and rips them rather quickly.

Thus ends today's (digital) sermon.

Brian.

RD James

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 09:19:25 am »

IMHO ISO files are an anachronism:  They aren't terribly useful.  Unless you really, really love DVD menus.  I say rip them all to MKVs and never look back.  Bye bye encryption, bye bye slow menus, bye bye forced trailers, forced intros, etc.  Bye bye to all slow downs.  Now I just have the movie, which plays instantly on nearly any player.  Bonus:  MakeMKV reads ISO files directly and rips them rather quickly.

Thus ends today's (digital) sermon.

Brian.
I still like ISO files.
They're a single file instead of a folder with many files.
You have a copy of everything on the disc.
With the movies I converted to MKV, I had to re-rip the discs again when 3D support was added.
I usually only rip the english audio and subtitles. That's fine for me but then I had guests over who wanted non-english subtitles.
You have to work out what is the correct title on the disc and which of the subtitle files are required - if any of them are forced because a part of a movie is non-english - at the point of ripping. With ISO you put the disc in and go.
I've started ripping to MKV only after I've watched a movie now because of that, and it were not for space, I would just be storing ISOs. (MKV allows you to store about 1/2 to 1/3 more movies if you're cutting out multiple languages, converting audio to FLAC)

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 09:32:42 am »

EDIT:  Never mind.  Use ISOs if you want.  I'll try to not comment on them again.

Brian.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 10:51:35 am »

I still like ISO files.
They're a single file instead of a folder with many files.
You have a copy of everything on the disc.
...With ISO you put the disc in and go.

I've started ripping to MKV only after I've watched a movie now because of that, and it were not for space, I would just be storing ISOs. (MKV allows you to store about 1/2 to 1/3 more movies if you're cutting out multiple languages, converting audio to FLAC)

What program are you using to watch your ISO Blu-ray movies?

RD James

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 11:09:23 am »

What program are you using to watch your ISO Blu-ray movies?
AnyDVD + Virtual Clone Drive + JRiver.
I just hit Play in JRiver and they mount and play right away.

EDIT:  Never mind.  Use ISOs if you want.  I'll try to not comment on them again.

Brian.
I never said you were wrong, I was just explaining why I like ISOs.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 12:26:01 pm »

Okay. It, so MC skips the BD menu and just starts playing the movie (longest file, I think). Does that work if the BD movie contains multiple fake movies (playlist obfuscation) too (Does AnyDVD HD pick the correct playlist in that situation)?

With this method, I think, you not able to view any of the trailers or extras (since there is no menu), so I wonder why save to ISO and waste the hard drive space for the extras/trailers/etc. I think you would need to use another program like PowerDVD to get menu access.

RD James

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 01:28:50 pm »

Okay. It, so MC skips the BD menu and just starts playing the movie (longest file, I think). Does that work if the BD movie contains multiple fake movies (playlist obfuscation) too (Does AnyDVD HD pick the correct playlist in that situation)?
Yes, JRiver gets the correct playlist from AnyDVD.

With this method, I think, you not able to view any of the trailers or extras (since there is no menu), so I wonder why save to ISO and waste the hard drive space for the extras/trailers/etc. I think you would need to use another program like PowerDVD to get menu access.
You can select them from the "titles" menu in JRiver. (same selection that MakeMKV presents you when ripping a disc)

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 04:22:11 am »

hi, i've got another thread open about problems im having with blu-ray iso playback. I had it all working fine under mc20, but it's not working for me in mc21. I was interested in your comment about MC getting title info from AnyDVD. Is there a problem now, or might there be one with the changes at Slysoft/Redfox with this. There is some comment about  the online protection database not being available after the end of May. Having paid for a lifetime anydvd license I'm unhappy about paying out again for a Redfox licence , but I'm actually more interested at the mo in getting my ISOs to play.

RD James

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 06:46:01 am »

The change to JRiver 21/RedFox didn't affect playback for me at all.
Perhaps try reinstalling JRiver/RedFox/VirtualCloneDrive. Check that ISO files are associated with VCD.

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 07:37:23 am »

Fraid I've done all 3.

I've unistalled AnyDVD, VCD, MC21. Re-installed all 3. Gone through the ISO file instructions from the wiki, checked the client option to play local copy, etc etc. I've not tried with a Redfox relaese of AnyDVD.

I'm baffled. The components are all the same as under MC20. The files havn't moved, the network mapping hasn't moved. I take a long time checking stuff out before I post on here. I've now posted logs from 3 different machines all exhibiting the same problem.

I've pretty much given up on this, and I've started ripping the images down to MKV files. Going to be a long job....

RD James

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 08:21:32 am »

When you double-click an ISO file in Windows Explorer does it mount with VCD?
If not, right-click and select "Open With..." then set it as the default.

blgentry

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 08:32:07 am »

I've pretty much given up on this, and I've started ripping the images down to MKV files. Going to be a long job....

There are batch converters that use MakeMKV to do the work.  Do some searches for "batch makemkv iso" and you'll find threads discussing this, which might save you a lot of time.  Here's a link to one of them I found.  I have NOT used this myself.

http://www.makemkvbatch.com/

As a side note, does your copy of anydvd still work with the ISOs you have been testing in MC?  I ask because that company is out of business and I think their key server is gone, so some titles won't play as far as I know.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up